• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you personally go about making friends?

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    Well, that's an interesting question. It takes a lot for someone to get conversation out of me at first. When I meet someone new, I'm awkward, I don't know what to say or do and I just kinda flop around like a fish out of water until they go away or start a conversation that engages me.

More often than not they go away. It takes SO MUCH effort for me to actually talk to someone, first, and be interested and get along. When I'm drunk it takes minimal effort but I don't make friends when I'm drunk so that doesn't count.

I have to get to know a person before I can be friends with them, and that takes a lot, because my interests aren't shared with a hell of a lot of people that I meet irl. Online is different because most people I meet online share my interests (funny how that works huh) and I can just mention something and start a conversation. It's so much easier.

Years
    Most of the friends, if not all, are people I have met through school and/or work. If it weren't fore either of those, online would pretty much be the only social life I have, and even then I'd still say there is some distance placed between myself and others online. (or at least it seems that way to me.)

Most of my irl friends were met through school as well, so this is pretty much my exact situation. Making friends online is much easier than making friends irl, but like you said, it feels like much more of a distanced relationship than it does with real people.

I met most of my current friends through random conversations in my classes. I don't have a "strategy" for making friends, it just kinda happens.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'm not really good at it, tbh. If I'm not lucky enough to randomly find some people I could become friends with on the first try, I easily end up being a loner. And even when finding people, that doesn't neccessarily mean that I feel as being part of the group.

Even on the internet it's really difficult, mostly because even when I'd like to talk to someone I either prolong it by thinking "Nah, I could do that later." or if I finally find the courage to talk to someone, it turns out of being random gibberish (which is probably turning quite a lot of people off), because I'm terrible at casual/smal talk. High philosophical or similar analytic topics are different, but nobody would like to talk about that stuff anyway. xD

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I'm usually introduced to making friends online most of the time now. Otherwise I'll just talk with someone and see where it goes from there. I've lost contact with too many people unfortunately. Offline I completely forgot how to make friends, unless my sister is around as she introduced me to her best friend who is now a friend of mine.

Years
    I try to find something to talk about when I am forced to be in a group of people. Mostly a therapy group or something. But yeah I usually don't seek out random people to talk to unless they talk to me first.

Back