• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you pronounce Pidgeot?

Fate Falls

Pokémon Researcher
Years
  • According to Bulbapedia:
    Two different pronunciations for Pidgeot's name, Pidg-ee-ot and Pi-git, have been used interchangeably in the anime.

I grew up calling it "Pidg-ee-ot," but then I heard it being called Pi-git, and I liked the sound of that better.

So which way do you say it?

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
  • I've always pronounced it "Pig-ee-ot" That's always what it looked like to me, so that's always how I've said it. The "Pigdit" pronunciation has always bothered me..
    By the way, not to be off topic, but I LOVE the banner in your sig.

Fate Falls

Pokémon Researcher
    Years
  • I agree -- it does look far more like it should be pronounced pidg-ee-ot. I wonder what it really was intended to be? hehe

Aw, lol well thanks! ^.^

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    Pig-ee-ot. Sounds less wonky and weird, and it fits in with the pattern that was established with the previous two evo's.

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
  • I agree -- it does look far more like it should be pronounced pidg-ee-ot. I wonder what it really was intended to be? hehe

Aw, lol well thanks! ^.^

Well, I usually (or at least used to when I watched it) pronounced the names of Pokemon the way they did on the anime but I disagree sometimes. For example.. the way they pronounce Rayquaza REALLY bothers me! >.<

As for the games, Pokemon Stadium didn't always pronounce the names the way they did in the anime. Zapdos in 1 and Raichu in 2 are horribly pronounced.

I guess it's all a matter of interpretation, though. You say tomaito, I say tomahto. lol

Oh, and your welcome. :]

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    It's pronounced 'Pid-Gee-Ot'. If you look at it's Japanese name, Pijotto, you can see this to be true. In Japanese, it's pronounced the correct way, "Pi-Je-Ot-To", with 'To' being the stressed syllable that is normally not pronounced when Pijotto is said with another word following it up.​

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • Pidgeot. o3o
    I drew that awesome bird today. 8D What coincidence...

Anyways, I pronounce it /Pidjod/... Or something like that. =/

The "E" between the "g" and "o" is barely pronounced in the way I say it... so no Pi-GEE-ot.

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • When I was younger, I actually used both interchangeably, but I think PID-gee-ot is the most phonetically pleasing to say. XD

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I pronounce it "Pid-gee-ot"
    Used to get mixed up with Pidgeot and Pidgeotto.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    Pidge-(j)ot

since I don't have any influence of the tv show(since I only watch it in german dub) I pronounce it like I think it should be ^^

Years
  • I've always pronounced it pi-GEE-aught. XD The aught is mainly due to my dialect.

It's similar to how I say Milotic. mi-LAW-dik. I hate saying MY-lo-tic. >.<

Back