• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you use the markings?

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    I'm curious to read how others mark their Pokemon. I've never really used this feature before, but now I want to have some kind of organization to my boxes. A couple of categories I thought of are:

1. To trade
    2. Do not trade
    3. Shiny
    4. For breeding
    5. Received in trade

Any other ideas?

famillan

Addicted.
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Dec 29, 2014
    I mark my mons with whatever IVs they have. It's easier than renaming them. It's also most useful when you get mons from trade and couldn't rename it.

Years
  • There are six stats and six possible marks. Let's say I have a Pokémon with 31 IV's in HP (the first stat), then I'll mark them with a circle (which is, iirc, the first possible mark).

I'm making it sound more complicated than it is but it's really simple and I'm pretty sure this is what the marks are most used for.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I just highlight the marks that correspond to a max IV. I think GameFreak figured out people were doing this because in X and Y all the marks are unhighlighted by default rather than highlighted. So yea, that's the most common use, but house can use them for whatever you want.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • Once I breed a lot of a specific Pokémon, I tend to mark which ones to keep for chain breeding, which ones are really good, and which ones to release. This is all based on natures, characteristics and so on.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • In RSE, I used to mark Pokemon with a Triangle&Heart if they were a part of my in-game team or just a Heart if I bred them.

Now I use the 6 markings to denote perfect IVs in Hp/Atk/Def/SpAtk/SpDef/Spe.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    What method are you guys using to calculate IVs?

And forgive my ignorance, but how does it help to know what a single IV is? Wouldn't it be better to keep track of all six in some other way? How is this marking used?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I forgot those still existed. As I recall, in my old copy of Sapphire all those years ago, I used the triangle for shiny Pokemon and the heart for ones I particularly liked.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2014
    They come in handy when digging through a box of pokemon I bred to pick out the good ones with perfect IVs in the correct stats.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Now that I've tried my hand at breeding, they definitely are helpful for marking IVs.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • I thought all breeders used them to mark IVs. At least that's what I assume every time I get a Pokemon via trade.

Also shiny Pokemon have their own mark, so it's kinda pointless additionally marking them.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't think I've ever used the markings before this generation, and now I realize breeding and organizing would be a nightmare without them.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Star for shiny Pokémon, Diamond for event Pokémon, Circle for non-event legendary Pokémon, Heart for Pokémon I particularly like, Triangle for Pokémon which are EV'd and Square for Pokémon who were RNG'd.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
    Years
  • Hm... I don't tend to use markings, but now that I think about it, that could be useful, I'll get back to that probably. XD

Back