• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How good is you're English?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    It being my native language, I've made knowing its intricacies my business. I'm the logical opposite of a dyslexic person. xD

It must be said though that I abhor American English.

Confuse

the points never matter
    Years
    I certainly try to keep my English in order when I either write or post here. Trust me, you don't want to see my real handwriting, since only I can really read it.

You're more respected if you have correct grammar and punctuation, both here and in real life.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    Well, English is my first language, so I'd hope it'd be very, very good.
    It is, at least spoken. I tend to overuse commas and apostrophes when writing, and I misspell things constantly due to me not paying much attention to what I'm typing.

That sums it up for me too. I use waaaaaay too many commas when writing, and I'm always misspelling stuff >_< Annnd not only that, my grammar (with typing) could be better, friends are always correcting things I say. Lame grammar nazi's >:[

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
    I'm on the whole, pretty darned zealous about writing my English correctly, with attention to proper punctuation and grammar. I'd like to think because of my high standards, my written English is pretty decent. I make some effort to embellish it with fancy, nonsensical pretentious words too, as you may have noticed. =P

My spoken English is of course fine, it being my first language. I also have an awesome (Well, I like to think) Home Counties English accent, which has become something of a point of identity for me since moving to Scotland. My spoken English however, is also littered with words that I probably kind-of-understand-but-not-quite, it's something of a habit of mine. >>

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    English is the second language I learned but I'm better at it than Spanish. @w@
    I still make silly mistakes though. My grammar is also less than perfect because I type how I talk (although my classmates keep saying I talk in 'perfect white english'). I also use acronyms for humorous purposes or when I'm being sarcastic (I'm a vry sracstic persdon lolol <3). If someone is typing in chatspeak, I can't take them seriously. At all.
    I do tend to act like a Grammar Nazi sometimes, but mostly I just kid.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    my english am quite good

i tihnk i can speil correctly. .

In all seriousness, though, I'd consider my English to be at a good standard as well. Despite it not being my first language, I think I'm quite fluent at it both in spelling/grammar as well as when regarding pronunciation.

Tamaki

☆ Puh puh puh poker face ☆
    Years
    I almost always type with good grammar, but I use things like lol and wtf a lot. I'm great at spelling, so I rarely make typos.

... However, sometimes I type really fast and I stop using capitalization.

Charizard EX

Charizard EX
    Years
    English is my Favorite language. Even though it's not my national language. But I'm still amazingly good at it. I get A+ even if I don't study or even touch the book, English is way beyond easy.

B-Baller

My ballin' is br00tal
    Years
    grammer nazi's untie!
    [Grammatical & spelling errors intended, xD]

I guess I'm picky when it comes to grammar. I'll correct everyone whenever they make mistakes.

Charizard EX

Charizard EX
    Years
    Grammar is the easiest part, I never study for it. Well, sometimes I just have a quick peak at it and that's enough. And I never have any mistakes at tests and whatsoever.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    I've always been good at English, I was top of the class during my GCSE years (consistently getting top grades in the coursework), although my exam was a tad dissapointing for various reasons, and my spelling has always been top notch. I can't help but correct people when they write an incorrect spelling, to the extent that it annoys people so much.

lolonekaypostslol

popsicles.

F A S C I N A T I O N .
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2009
    Despites English being not my mother language, I think I master it quite well. n_n
    Ofcourse, here and there I can make some spelling mistakes
    (but yeah, who doesn't xD) but overall my English is quite okay.

And I must say, posting on forums like these greatly improved my knowlegde of the English language :>

Which is awesome because I don't have to study too much for English class then 8D

Years
    Yeah, Mai Inglish iz teh Ub4rz!
    I make the effort to type as clearly as I can, even on Shoddy and MSN, but I'm bound to make mistakes.
    People that type lazily or overuse "leet-speak" annoy me, but it's fine to use it here and there.

As a first language, it's generally bound to be rather good, but one problem with this, is that you don't learn it properly, you are dropped in and forced to learn it as a child, and then pick up things on the way. This way, you never really quite get the grasp on where to use commas, apostrophes, etc.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    I do have an odd typo every now and then, and my grammar isn't too shabby but I can spell just fine. English is really the only language I know, besides Japanese.

Master Jecht

Hmmm..
    Years
    My English is fine. Its my first language so it should be. I just can't do the things in class when you have to find the predicate nominative, clauses, and all that stuff.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    If anyone knew me from back in the day, when I first started talking with people on the internet, you would know that I always used chatspeak and my posts were barely legible. About a week later, I realised it was pretty disrespectful to address anyone over the internet with such a terrible grammar and I attempted to work harder at typing properly. Thanks to my roleplaying and writing friends from here and afar, I have improved a lot at English. I look back sometimes and I just think about how amazing it is that I've managed to make such a difference.

That said, there are plenty of times when I make an idiot out of myself. Whether it's an incident with a comma or a run-on sentence (the latter occurs way too much for my liking), I can't seem to get rid of the habit and I end up having to edit a lot of the posts I make. It's stressful and boring, but I'd rather edit my posts and make them look presentable then post something no one can really understand.

Regarding oral English and how much words I know, I find myself repeating a lot of phrases to certain people and I often have syllables tripping over each other because I'm either thinking or talking too fast. I know a lot of big words but I prefer not to use them as I like whatever point I'm trying to make being made as clearly and as bluntly as it can be.

When it comes to talking to my friends on an Instant Messenger, I honestly don't care how one talks or I talk back. So long as my message can be read without stress, I'm fine. I don't mind it when people use chatspeak because I can understand it, but I do prefer talking to people with proper grammar on an instant messaging client.

Am I the only one who finds the fact that there's a type in the thread title amusing?

Last edited:

Melash

Back for now.
    Years
    Yeah, I was wondering about the title until I read your post! Anyway, I really do try to have good grammar. Some words are pretty hard to spell, and I also make a typo or two when I type. As for my grammar, it's pretty good! At least I think it is...

Anyhow, I just have to get out of the habit of saying, "anyhow"

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    You are exused.
    xD

Being English as my second language, I tend to excel to it since I watched too many English shows. (Maybe I'm actually better at it than my first language. Maybe)

Anyways, since living in a place where you have to use broken English just for everyone to understand, I think it my English have been decreasing, but then, there is no broken English, just broken grammar, but my grammar was never that good.

In class, I think I'm the fourth person who is good at English though.

Also, I make typo cause my keyboard is broken, seriously, we need a new keyboard.

Back