• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How honest is the GTS?

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2015
    Hey guys, a tad new to pokemon (Haven't played since pokemon Yellow) And I'm just a bit hesitant on how much I can trust the GTS. I would really like a 6iv foreign ditto, and I see a bunch in the GTS only asking for an Yveltal. I don't think I'll never use mine for anything except for "Look at this legendary I caught, that everyone with Y and even X have!!" So I'm willing to part with it.
    However, as it's the only trading tool I have, I'm terrified of getting scammed out of my only legendary, (I will probably never reset my game because I'm 550 pokemon in my dex, and even with pokebank trading 1 by 1 I never want to trade for 10+ hours to re-do my dex..)
    But on the other hand, if I do manage to get a 6IV foreign ditto, my breeding projects would be much less of a headache. It's taken me 2 1/2 days to breed up the IV's for my 6IV modest abra >.< Now if it was also shiny.. woah.

tl;dr: Are people on the GTS generally honest with their trades? Should I go ahead and trade my Yveltal for the "6IV pokerus JPN" ditto?
    Thanks in advance for all the input, I know I shouldn't be this nervous but I worked hard on my game and with no reset in sight, I don't want my only legendary to be wasted on a ditto from Pokemon Village.

Years
  • Use the trading forum here or at any other Pokemon trading forum instead of using the unreliable GTS.

Even if you did try to surf the GTS for 6IV Dittos, ones that are lv30 and/or have the pentagon should immediately tell you it's BS.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    I've gotten honest trades and complete BS trades on the GTS. I find that it's about 25% honest, 75% BS. When it works out thouhg it's awesome.

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    if you're looking for something specific, like iv's and what, use the forums here, if you're just looking to grab a pokemon for you dex or just to have, GTS is good, putting up something of equal or greater value makes the trades go pretty quick. Never give up a legendary for anything less than legendary.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Use the trading forum here or at any other Pokemon trading forum instead of using the unreliable GTS.

Even if you did try to surf the GTS for 6IV Dittos, ones that are lv30 and/or have the pentagon should immediately tell you it's BS.

Why? ones at level 30 and have the pentagon are from the friend safari and therefore have the BEST chance of being legit because everything on the friend Safari has a guaranteed 2 IVs, so really, all users need to do is mathematically "find" 4IVs since the other two are guaranteed. the friend Safari dittos are way more likely than a generic ditto from a previous gen where ALL the IVs are random and not just 4 of them.

Years
  • Why? ones at level 30 and have the pentagon are from the friend safari and therefore have the BEST chance of being legit because everything on the friend Safari has a guaranteed 2 IVs, so really, all users need to do is mathematically "find" 4IVs since the other two are guaranteed. the friend Safari dittos are way more likely than a generic ditto from a previous gen where ALL the IVs are random and not just 4 of them.

I'm talking about people that put safari dittos up claiming that they're 6IV. 6IV Dittos are usually genned or legimiately caught in previous games using RNG that were cloned many times.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2023
    Never trust the GTS fully, I've traded for a couple "6 IV Pokemon" (dumb idea on my part) where they will have usually one or two perfect IVs but then on some occasions it'd still be a lie from those people but they'd at least have four or five IVs, but rarely. It's very unreliable, I'd suggest just using the trade forum here if you want 6 perfect IV pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    Never bother with the GTS. People lie out of their teeth for their so called "6IV Dittos" asking for Suicune, Mewtwos or Celebis. Digusting really

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • I'm always honest with what I put up on the GTS but it's never anything super special (usually 4iv drought vulpix breeding rejects).

I always assume that what other people say on there is a lie to avoid disappointment and stop myself from making stupid trades.

Best just to use GTS for Dex completion or trading legendaries for other legendaries imo.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    I'd never trust people in the GTS. If there was a reputation system with +1 and -1 for the trade you did, things would be better as people would care about their rating.

So... never trust GTS for IVs and such, only trade legendaries for other legendaries and search for missing pkmn for the pokedex.

Years
  • The only time i've advertised a Pokémon on the GTS with good IVs and such was a Kangaskhan in a Level Ball that I bred.

I even got a flawless Reshiram and a Groudon off the GTS as well, but I only kept the latter. I wasn't even depending on that at first, but then I just thought, these people must do a lot of RNG'ing.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • That Ditto is obviously a scam. But don't worry, you're not the only one who almost fell for it. A lot of people actually fall for the most obvious "lies". I tested that once and put an "egg moves" Ditto for Bambi. Yeah...it passed and I got myself a Xerneas. I don't feel bad though. If someone traded his Xerneas for an "egg move" Ditto, it's his own fault. What's next, people giving legendaries for Protean Mudkips?

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    To be fair, there are a few honest people out there who are offering good pokemon in return for a modest request, but I (unless it's obvious such as a shiny) usually doubt what their offering. I see plenty of claims that they want <insert pokemon> with <insert value> IVs and in return their <insert pokemon> has 6 perfect IVs. How they expect somebody else to believe them AND part with something with the specified IVs, I'm not sure.

What's more annoying are the begging request. Offering: Level 54 Charizard (IVs unknown). Seeking: any Mew. Description: "Mew is my favorite pokemon and I would love one very much, also i'd prefer it be level 100 with perfect IVs and shiny. =)"

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2022
    Must have got lucky got a 6 iv shiny ditto for a slakoth, now it probably was hacked, but hey it was a good steal for me. Funny thing is I wonder trade 5 iv pokemon all the time. Not sure if they'd get me more on gts or not. But random wonder trade giveaways are fun. Tbh didn't notice the ditto was 6iv mostly traded for it being shiny.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I have been guilty of having a Pokemon up for trade that will say something like "5 IVs" when it doesn't have it ;;

However! That has only happened when I had a Pokemon previously uft with those IVs and I forgot to change the message. I was curious why it had traded so fast until I saw what I had left in the message, lol... I get pissed when that happens to me, so I know how those people must have felt.

I've found Wonder Trade to be much better than GTS, I'm finding much less level 2-4 Fletchling and Bunnelby and more Pokemon with decent natures/IVs from breeders with lots of leftovers. Those Pokemon usually make awesome parents (or are rarely good enough to EV train straight out of the trade) so it works out!

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2014
    very unreliable. just traded a yveltal for a kriketot claimed to have HA. which doesnt.

Lethality

Teh Trueblade
    Years
  • I've been getting screwed by the GTS since it was introduced in 4th gen and now that people have the ability to type in lies to make their trades seem more appealing it's even less trusting. I only use it when I'm looking for something to fill my pokedex and I also only make my own offers because most of the other offers are completely ridiculous as I'm sure you all know.

Back