• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How many of you DON'T play competitively?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
  • I'm a collector / breeder. Shinies, IVs, EV-training... I don't battle competitively; I'm moreso the "I have cool Pokemon that few others have /proud&superior" type.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
  • I don't really battle competitively yet, (because IV breeding sucks ass if you have no AR for fast egg hatch and IV check... you have to hatch it normally, then Rare Candy it up to level 50, check its IVs, reset.. its even worse if you only have crappy parents, like I do..) but I plan on doing it in the near future. I've had some battles on shoddy battle. I've won quite a few, and i've lost quite a few.

I still EV train the Pokemon I like but I don't plan on using competitively - like my shiny Empoleon. <3

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • I'm more of a breeder. At one time, I dipped into shoddy battle for a couple of days, mainly just to battle my friends. Then, I started EV training a team, deemed it too much work, and gave up. I really concentrate more on filling Pokedexes and stuff (Completed Blue, Emerald ((besides the event Pokemon that I can't get)), and Diamond. I almost completed silver, but the battery ran out and the game's messed up now.) Then, I started trying to complete my boxes with all the Pokemon in diamond. Did that. Now, I mainly focus on challenges here. Someday, I'm going to like open a trading shop or something. And who knows, I might try to EV/IV train again eventually.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2010
    I'm, I guess, somewhere in the middle. I pay attention to competitive components, but I don't battle others much. I find the haxness of the Battle Tower is enough of a challenge for me, if I want difficult battles ><

I do prefer Pokemon with helpful natures, but I can't be bothered to EV train or IV search, so I use Pokesav (sue me) if I plan on using any of my Pokemon in the Battle Tower. The best part of the seriws is, for me, starting fresh with just a starter. And yes, I enjoy level grinding so much that I usually re visit places and use breeded Pokemon to level grind them just for fun... As you can imagine, my boxes are almost full in Platinum....(I've yet to get HG/SS, so I don't have much storage for my Pokes...And I refuse to get My Pokemon Ranch)

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
    Years
  • I play competitively , because I won't be getting HG for weeks, and diamond get's pretty boring after your pokedex reaches 486. Also I just love having the right to say I'm better than all of you at something.:laugh:

R3D

"TAKEN DOWN ON THE WORD GO!"
    Years
  • I love Competitively Breeding and battling it makes the game much larger and allows me to have more play time n.n IVs/Ev's our your friends they allow you to make sexy beasts ;D plus the joy and pride you get from every win with your fresh Ev/iv trained team ooh it is just good fun horribly time consuming but fun :O

Agreed, its like the game never ends with competitive battlings lol.
    Also, beating people irl pokemon battles is a great way to impress the ladies.
    "Hey I just won the Pokemon Tournament down at Gamestop...wanna go out?"

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021
    i only play against others becuase my friends are into it. Im also the type of person who isn't afriad to Iv/Ev train pokes that were never thought up of before with the risk of will/wont work, and they usually come out on top AS working(well not really RIGHT NOW because of how much platinum changed EVERYTHING...-_-) man i used to school fools with stuff like CB swampert before it was even a big deal about the surprise factor it got. Also it doesnt rly take much work for me to IV/Ev breed cause for IV's i got lucky with breeding amazing nature'd/good iv'd dittos with the everstone trick looooong time ago and for ev's i got pokerus+ a power item for the respective stat= ev training done for one 252 stat in 5-10 min, i always do it while watching a movie on netflix so it's pretty enjoyable too lolol.

But to be honest, i feel if somebody ONLY plays the games for competitive battling, then man they're missing out on exactly what makes pokemon great games, battlings fun, but 24/7 worrying about battling while playing these games gets dull REAL fast. I cant tell you how much fun i have collecting and searching for pokemon during my playthrough of a game even if i already have it, i also LOVE filling up pages of the pokedex, i really want to complete it at 493 one day...i mean i know the term is obsolete but i wanna catch em' all lol

Dreadnought

Imperador
    Years
  • Competitive battling is definitely something I enjoy. It always is good to play random opponents and encounter different strategies and move sets. Even losing gives me a chance to see what I did wrong and how I could change my team to remove any serious weakness that can be exploited. Though I agree it does get a bit tiring considering the amount of time and work it takes to breed a perfect pokemon for battling.

I do enjoy just trying to fill the pokedex and such, though for me it is always a great feeling to test out your team that you worked hard to build against other people. Granted there are some people that will be unpleasant to battle with and also the common times you will face some hackers. Some hacks will be obvious while others will be harder to detect. Though overall there is a huge community for competitive battling that makes pokemon another entire game in itself.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Can't, due to lack of teh Wi-Fi and other people who play. It's great fun trying to create competitive Pokemon anyway, though.

Kokuo

Ground Type Trainer
    Years
  • I don't.
    Sometimes I'll get bored enough to train a good team, but the closest to competitive battles I get to is the Battle Frontier.

Kristine

Pokemon Addict Since 1998
    Years
  • I've never played competitively. I much prefer just doing whatever I enjoy doing in game and raising my favorite Pokémon, rather than the Pokémon that would make up the best team composition. I've never even EV leveled a Pokémon; it just doesn't seem fun to me.

Tree_x

Breeder
    Years
  • I've never played competitively. I much prefer just doing whatever I enjoy doing in game and raising my favorite Pokémon, rather than the Pokémon that would make up the best team composition. I've never even EV leveled a Pokémon; it just doesn't seem fun to me.

Haha but you can Competitively Raise your favorites like me i am making a NU/UU team of my favorites ;D how well it will work i do not know but it will be fun none the less

Years
  • I much prefer just doing whatever I enjoy doing in game and raising my favorite Pokémon, rather than the Pokémon that would make up the best team composition.
    I'm competitive, and I feel the same way. This is the reason I've taken up UU, I've gotten sick of seeing the same Pokemon on every team.

I'm not kidding, I went through six teams in a row that used Swampert leads. Four of those teams had Scizor. >.>

Bichu

←Onigiri(Rice ball) Pichu
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Aug 12, 2018
    NNNNNope I don't play competitively at all. I just can't go all out on people I'm up against. XD I'm also one for not trying or putting a lot of effort into something. =P Which means I cheat skdjhsdf but it's for my own entertainment and pleasure, so I don't care, and it's not like I play against others anyways. (Not that I could, even if I wanted to... =DS-less= )

Kristine

Pokemon Addict Since 1998
    Years
  • Haha but you can Competitively Raise your favorites like me i am making a NU/UU team of my favorites ;D how well it will work i do not know but it will be fun none the less

I'm competitive, and I feel the same way. This is the reason I've taken up UU, I've gotten sick of seeing the same Pokemon on every team.

I'm not kidding, I went through six teams in a row that used Swampert leads. Four of those teams had Scizor. >.>

What I meant is that I don't find playing competitively fun in general. I just want to do what I want to when I play. I can't even stand training my Pokemon for more than a half hour or so at a time. I only have one level 100 Pokemon that I've actually leveled myself; the rest of my good Pokemon are between levels 65 and 85. xD

Tree_x

Breeder
    Years
  • What I meant is that I don't find playing competitively fun in general. I just want to do what I want to when I play. I can't even stand training my Pokemon for more than a half hour or so at a time. I only have one level 100 Pokemon that I've actually leveled myself; the rest of my good Pokemon are between levels 65 and 85. xD

Ah well that is where you and me Differ doing what i want is Breeding then beating the snot outta other peoples teams then improving my team at a loss :3

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • I'm competitive, and I feel the same way. This is the reason I've taken up UU, I've gotten sick of seeing the same Pokemon on every team.

Thats because OU is awful. Try playing like UU or NU or even Ubers, I've gotten REALLY bored of OU lately, I made a team of the top 6 pokemon in usage, and I have a ~80% win record on smogon's ladder with it. UU and NU is really fun, because the threats are way different, and semi-stall isn't the only play style to win with. Ubers is kinda fun too because you get to use superpowered pokemon.

reyzn

Years

I'm the same way. I would call myself a collector rather than a competitive or even casual battler.

Years
    I'm the same way. I would call myself a collector rather than a competitive or even casual battler.

This is pretty much what I do, too. I understand the concept of EV training, but I just never found it to be any fun. And the extent of my battling is competing against my cousin every once and a while, but that's it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back