• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How much do you think they'll focus on new Pokemon?

How many new Pokemon do you think there'll be?

• Not many (More focus on new features while the Pokedex consists of mostly old Pokemon)

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • More than X/Y, but not too many (With some old Pokemon in the Pokedex too)

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • Much more (The Pokedex will only consist of new Pokemon)

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
  • I noticed that different generations focus more or less on new Pokemon than others. For example, the Unova dex in B/W consists only of new Pokemon while the Kalos dex has more Pokemon from previous gens than new ones as X/Y focuses more on its new features than new species.

I'm hoping that there'll be more new Pokemon in this generation than in gen 6, but will still include a few from previous gens just like the Hoenn and Sinnoh dexes.

Years
  • I do hope we get more new Pokemon than X/Y, considering those games focused more on its features than the Pokemon, so hopefully they've made room for improvement. The presence of the protagonist's mother owning a Meowth has already given me implication that there will be older Pokemon in the Alola Dex.

poop face

currently playing crystal ♡
    Years
  • I don't really care if there's many new Pokemon, I'd be okay with the typical 50 or so,

I mostly just want an amazing story-line.

But considering this is their 20th anniversary, I think they're gonna go balls out.

Years
  • But considering this is their 20th anniversary, I think they're gonna go balls out.

I'm sure Game Freak spent a long time developing this game so hopefully we'll get good stuff all around, especially with how big the 20th anniversary is being celebrated at the moment.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I think there will definitely be new Pokemon, more than in XY, but I don't know that they'll go for a completely "new" Pokedex. It's an odd numbered gen, and statistically speaking, we see more new Pokemon in odd gens than even gens. They've also been playing up the whole new world thing, while nostalgia was a pretty big part of XY, so I think we'll see more new Pokemon this time around. That being said, a lot of their promotional materials have shown the link from RBY to the present, through each generation, so I don't think they'll abandon their roots this year and go entirely for new Pokemon. I'm just curious about which old Pokemon will be present, how many new Pokemon there will be, and the relative availability of each.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I hope we will get some new past pokemon evolutions and not just Mega Evolutions of them. It's been since Gen 4 that we didn't got any new past evolution except for Sylveon.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    I hope there's more of a focus on new Pokemon than there was in X/Y. To be honest, it was a shame that there were so few new Pokemon in those games that interested me, and it was a struggle to not always rely on ol' Charizard again. I do agree that B2/W2 had the best balance between old and new Pokemon. Enough that a few old favorites were in the game, but not enough that the new Pokemon weren't able to be discovered.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • They will have more than Xy. That was a massive let down for a ton of people and they got hated on it a lot. That was the biggest problem with XY.

Odd generations tend to have more than even generations. I am thinking and I honestly hope they have 110. I think my prediction was 112 to 115.

Gen 1 = 151
    Gen 2 = 100
    Gen 3 = 135
    Gen 4 = 107
    Gen 5 = 156
    Gen 6 = 72 I think.
    Gen 7 = Should be around 120.

Years
  • Icy has a point, Game Freak tried to experiment a lot with X/Y by introducing less Pokemon but it caused negative reaction among fans, so I think they may have learned and may introduce more Pokemon this time around.

Plus, as Icy said odd-numbered generations tend to introduce more Pokemon than the even-numbered ones. 110 or 120 could be a solid number I'm looking at.

Years
  • As I said elsewhere, I'd love for more focus on new Pokémon. Mega evolutions weren't my thing and I never did use them on my team until very late into post-game when I felt I did all I could and wanted to experiment more with untouched features. This time around it would be wonderful to have a wide range of new things to use and not as much focus on megas - was understandable in X and Y (and the sixth generation as a whole, really) since that's when megas were introduced and GameFreak wanted to showcase them as much as possible but this is a new game and generation. Things feel most complete when we have many new things to experiment with.

Probably going to vote for the final option, I'd love playing through the story with only new Pokémon available!

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I think we'll get more than X & Y (like somewhere between 80-120) but I don't think there's going to be as much of an emphasis on them as in say the Black and White games, where the focus was only on them.

Personally I'm hoping every Pokemon (aside from legendaries) are catchable at some point. In X & Y there were a few regular Pokemon you had to send from a previous generation just to get a hold of, so I hope that isn't a thing this time around.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I have a feeling that the Pokedex will consist of a similar mixture to that of Kalos. If we do receive a smaller amount of new Pokemon than usual, the remaining figures can be made up of past generation Pokemon. I'd say this generation will introduce about 60-70 new Pokemon with a Regional dex figure of about 250, that would mean that the Pokedex would be made up of 25% new Pokemon and then 75% older mons.

The fact that Masuda joked about having over 10 new Pokemon and having the last generation introduce just 70 new Pokemon makes me think that they're past introducing 100+ new Pokemon with new generations. In the trailer we saw Meowth which kinda adds to the fact that the focus could be more on past Pokemon with the addition of a handful of new ones along with some megas.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I wish we have a small amount of Pokemon, but mostly new evolutions. Not que quantity, but the quality!
    Anyway, that's what I want.

Years
  • I'm expecting a similar amount to X/Y, and that they'll focus on older pokemon because of the 20th anniversary.

I'm hoping this isn't the case though. X/Y's low amount partially killed that gen for me. The new designs so far are awesome and I'd like to see so much more.

Years
  • I really hope there will be more than in XY, or at least that they won't make up the difference with the same old ones that they always do. I mean, I know that Pikachu is going to come back, of course, but if we have to use a lot of older 'mons I'd like them to be the less common ones. Or at the very least give us some new evolutions of older ones, or branching evolutions, or something that makes the old ones feel new again.

Years
  • Spino makes a great point. I'm really hoping that they'll come through with more Pokemon in this generation. X and Y was cool and all with the new features but 72 new Pokemon was kind of a joke, and I felt it hurt the games likability as a person that is very invested in the Pokemon franchise. To me a wide range of new Pokemon is the essence of a new region as it opens the door to never before seen or traveled in lands which should come with a hefty amount of new creatures. That's how I feel at least.

My wish? Over or around 100 newbies. And a sick final form for Popplio.

Back