• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How old is "too old"?

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Too old? I don't think such a thing exists. And this from someone much older than 20! You play what you enjoy. Heck, my two other hobbies are raising and breeding tropical livebearer fish and N scale model railroading, and I even get grief for that! Doesn't bother me though. The only person's opinion that matters is your own. And if you like it and enjoy it, why stop?

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
I'm lucky enough to have a few of my friends who are actually still interested in Pokemon and everyone who I hang out with are cool with me being a geek that I am. And really, you're never too old for something like Pokemon. Interests are interests, there's no time limit to them. Hell if you like Teletubbies and your thirty then why should you care what everyone else thinks? This "too old" thing is only there because people are afraid of what others might think of them. Just be yourself.

That Teletubbies thing is a hyperbole btw. Unless you are thirty and like Teletubbies. I've nothing against that.

C4

Explosive
Years
That social stigma came to me from like grade 4 to grade 7. But now people seem to respect me more when I play Pokemon in public, I don't understand why.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
One more thing, and everyone's mileage may vary, but the way I see it, you can be a fan of something as long as you like, but the only thing I'd suggest is dialing it back as you get older, that's about it.

But see, if people can love Star Wars/Trek or baseball for the rest of their lives -- or if you want to compare it more to cartoons (being "kids stuff" and all), Scooby Doo, Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry* -- I don't see why you can't enjoy Pokémon until you're too old to see.

If it lasts that long.

*Despite the fact that Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry weren't produced for kids to begin with.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Really pokémon for me will always be a series of the same kind of Mario; a game series for a family to enjoy. While the titles are vigorously marketed at the 8-12 age bracket, the RPG system in the titles is easy enough for anyone to use due to it's Rock-Paper-Scissors mechanics.

You never get too old for it.

Warship

異議あり!
Years
ugh dont even make me start on it we played it all together when we were in elementary school but everyone "grew out of it" when they began middle school and i was made fun because of that. i still managed to find a few friends who did and we played with them. now im in high school and no one cares what i do and sometimes they even join me playing and ask me about x and y news so dont worry it'll be probably be okay :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 19, 2022
For me it went in and out of the cool phase. Elementary, cool. Middle school, uncool. High school, yeah Pokemon is freaking awesome!! I never stopped liking it and don't let anyone's opinions keep you from doing the same!! I'm 21 in a week and still playing. I don't think I'll ever feel too old, maybe I will eventually get bored, who knows, but it probably won't be because of my age. :]

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
I still liked pokemon back when i was 15/16 in 9th grade, first movie came out and i saw that in theaters and was a solid fan up into the Orange Islands, and japanese 3rd series.. however soon into the English Jhoto 3rd series, my interest in pokemon faded. I think watching all the japanese episodes months ahead of time ruined it as alot of those episodes weren't worth a second watch, especially not when the English dub cut things out or changed words around.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
apparently youre not supposed to like pokemon in ninth grade and people will make fun og you if you do. i only let my closest friends know i like it. but this year im actually finding out that alot more people play pokemon than i thought. and it really makes me happy that people still like it in ninth grade. like even one of the basketball players like to play it still. it warms my heart.

Water Gym Leader

Arlyn Aquos
Years
Go to college. I'm in the Video Game Club and I have a group of friends who just play Pokemon. That's like all we do. We trade, battle, and just compete with each other. I'm the youngest in the group being almost 19 and the oldest in the group being 26. Screw age, the games are rated E for EVERYONE.

I am made fun of liking the game by my girlfriend and family but I don't care.

Years
  • Age 55
  • Seen Nov 13, 2014
IMO, you're never too old for Pokémon. I'm 44, and have been playing since 1st gen. My Black2 has a full pokedex, including many shinies, I have an XD gamecube, a Pikachu N64, the yellow Pikachu Gameboy color, and last week I finally broke down and bought a WiiU and downloaded Pokémon RumbleU.

so yeah, never too old for Pokemon

Years
I think from the support you've been getting from some of the older members on this forum, it's safe to say that people of all ages enjoy the game. I've enjoyed the game from when I was a kid myself so I've grown up with it from when it first started out.

I started the series all the way from red and blue and I think I'd be quite happy to talk about it with my friends now that I'm 22. In fact, I have a Dutch friend who is getting X & Y on release with me and he's 20. We're not ashamed at all.

So enjoy whatever you like doing. People at school might laugh but I reckon a lot of them will still play the game.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
IMO, you're never too old for Pokémon. I'm 44, and have been playing since 1st gen. My Black2 has a full pokedex, including many shinies, I have an XD gamecube, a Pikachu N64, the yellow Pikachu Gameboy color, and last week I finally broke down and bought a WiiU and downloaded Pokémon RumbleU.

And I thought I was the oldest pokemon player around here but there is no age limit ppl differ and if you like it you like it, that's your choice I have been into pokemon for years and don't see myself stopping any time soon, and as to quote some one on the first page, we can sit in our rocking chairs together if you like with our shawls on! :luagh:

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016

Congrats from a 40 year old. Here's to many, many more years of enjoying the Pokemon games.

FireOfExile

2363-5961-4897 (3DS)
Years
In fifth grade, people started to dislike Pokemon, especially when I started shiny hunting, because they thought I was boring and ruined everything. lol. They also got action replays and stuff so it was no fun for me either. That didn't mean it was bad, though.

From sixth to eighth, everyone made fun of me for playing, even though these were specifically the three years I did NOT play often. I was never a big fan of Generation V, mainly due to the lack of old Pokemon. My friends who were still interested made fun of me, too, and when I helped them in the games, which was very common since I knew a lot more than them about the games that I didn't play, they'd just laugh in my face and not help me with anything.

I'm in ninth grade now, and even though the first month of school just ended, I can tell there will be less people nagging me about it. I've started to play more to prepare for X and Y, which I think will be a great generation. I see some older kids in a few of my classes that have their GBA's playing Pokemon RBY, and I also heard somewhere that there is a Pokemon Club in my school. My mom probably won't let me join, but it'd be fun if I could!

So yeah. I think it depends on the people you're with, but if you like it, don't let others stop you!

Years
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
Well, if you stick to going on Pokemon forums you'll never feel too old because you'll be part of, "societies," where it's considered normal to be 30+ and still play the game.

Back