• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How old is "too old"?

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
Years
*Sees first post, laughs* Don't worry pal, when I was in 3rd grade people used to say that I was too old for pokemon. Have I stopped no? In fact I'll play pokemon right till the end of my days. If possible I'll have myself buried holding the newest pokemon game. Amost all my friends a least know about pokemon and it's primarily the reason why I have so many friends.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 1, 2021
There's no such thing as being 'too old' you simply lose interest is all. If you're 70 years old and Pokemon still interests you, go for it. This applies to anything people are into, I mean you don't out grow sports or music why should you out grow your other hobbies.

For the record I've been playing since I was 8, I had a Japanese exchange student when I was in elementary and he had actually introduced the whole school to the games and tcg before it was released in America.

★Dark Soul Umbreon★

Totally not a furry
Years
No age is too old to play one of the best game franchises ever! I got lots of ridicule from late elementary school to early high school. Usually I responded with an insult and a calm attitude. The point is, don't stop playing just because your "friends" think you are dorky and that you need to kill yourself for playing Pokemon. They're not your real friends if they think that. Hell, you could play in the afterlife and no one will say **** about it.

ObnoxiousOboe

The Musical Psychic
Years
No age is too old to play one of the best game franchises ever! I got lots of ridicule from late elementary school to early high school. Usually I responded with an insult and a calm attitude. The point is, don't stop playing just because your "friends" think you are dorky and that you need to kill yourself for playing Pokemon. They're not your real friends if they think that. Hell, you could play in the afterlife and no one will say **** about it.

I like that analogy. It's sage wisdom, too.

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
I'm still playing Pokemon, and I'm in my Junior year.

Arceus Whisper

Shiny Hunter
Years
I still play pokemon and I'm a senior in highschool. I see myself playing it in college and beyond (I don't see myself stopping honestly ^^). I got some ridicule when I was 13/14 when all the other kids stopped playing it, but people have just come to accept it. I have lots of friends at my high school who play pokemon. I know people who graduated last year who had to find the closest gamestop to their college so they could pick up their copy of X/Y. It's a video game so I don't really see the big deal.

lozzop

Monkey slut!
Years
You're never too old to do anything!
Me and my friends still watch adventure time and play animal crossing together and watch High school musical and stuff. (We're 13-14 already as well)
Whenever I hear somebody know complain about themselves or somebody else acting like a baby, I usually just tell them what my cousin tells me. It just life, so you shouldn't take it so seriously, it's not like any of us are getting out alive!

Guest123_x1

I gave up my Pokémon game cartridges and most of my other related items when I was 17, thinking I was getting too old to continue with Pokémon. However, every once in a while after that point, the memories of me being deep into it kept coming back, so, it appears I've never completely grown out of it. You would think, me being the age I am, would have completely stopped and forgotten about it, it's just one of those things that stick with you your whole life. If people my age can be fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, then certainly you can still be a Pokémon fan at such an age.

Years
I have a story to share regarding my recent experience with "mature" games. One day I was playing CoD Black Ops 2 at work, one of my coworkers came to talk to me and saw me emptying clip after clip like there's no tomorrow. I asked her if she wanted to play with me, she said she doesn't like "mature" games. I was puzzled and answered: there's no such a thing as mature or immature games. Games are games, their purpose is to be fun. We then played a Sonic racing game (she actually beat me). Nobody out of all our coworkers in that room tried to mock us because we were playing a "kid's game".

This stigma doesn't belong to pokémon, it belongs to Nintendo actually: "Nintendo makes games for kiddies". As it has been mentioned, Majora's Mask has an insanely mature and deep story, seriously. It can be disturbing. And no Silent Hill game was ever scarier than the whole concept of SA-X in Metroid Fusion. This is what I always do: whenever people say Nintendo is for kids I point out Metroid, end of discussion.

PS: I was never able to understand the whole thing of Yugioh vs Pokémon hate. As you can see I like both.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
Pokemon is one of those games that certain people will always consider childish. This can be said for Nintendo as a whole, which many have considered a "too child centered" company for years now and actually hindered Gamecube sales back in the time of its release. But, all facts aside, there is no age too old for Pokemon, it is all opinion. Pokemon is not childish, look at the competitive side of things, an area that requires intellect above that of a 3rd grader to comprehend (under must circumstances anyway). This is what I feel.

There's always that age/grade when pokemon is "for babies" When did it happen for you? For me, it happened in sixth grade, the grade I'm in now. I started talking about mega evolution, and the laughed so hard they were crying.

To this I simply say: No, there is not always that age/grade, there is NEVER that time, unless you want there to be and gain such an opinion. The people who laughed at you hold their opinions that Pokemon is a childish game, but whether it is or not is completely up to you, don't fall to peer pressure, it can hurt.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Mar 31, 2016
those poeple who saying that pokemon is not for grown ups and that it's so childish, those poeple are taking everything too much serious. for me pokemon has good memories even though i m a grown up already. sometimes i watch some episodes, even the indigo ligue ones... no age is too old for anime generaly! for pokemon also! maybe its for kids, but in the old episodes theres really funny and cool stuff. for example brock... incredible. and i m still a big team rocket fan :D pokemon was / is a important part of my life

BurningLanguages

Student Linguist
Years
I had this constant battle in my life when I was in school. But now that I'm an adult and in college, people just mind their own business and you are more confident in yourself. Why? Because you realize as an adult(and hopefully sooner for you) that you can't live life having people tell you what to do.

I love Pokemon, been playing it my whole life. And I will continue to as long as the franchise is still alive :).

Years
LOL ARE U ALL SRSLY PLAYING POKEMON? XDD
POKEMON IS FOR 6 YEAR OLD, HAHAHAHHA!!!
PLAY CALL OF DUTY INSTEAD IS FOR GRONWUPS!!!!!

Yeah, uh, yeah. Exactly. That's great.
I like pokémon.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
I was wearing a new Charizard hat I got at Spencer and a bunch of black people were snicking and pointing. Not being racist but it seems to happen a lot with black people. Granted I have made some awesome black friends but idk why it seems to be that race that seems to be the ones to make fun off.

Anyway I kept wearing it not really caring what others thought.

Years
I was wearing a new Charizard hat I got at Spencer and a bunch of black people were snicking and pointing. Not being racist but it seems to happen a lot with black people. Granted I have made some awesome black friends but idk why it seems to be that race that seems to be the ones to make fun off.

Anyway I kept wearing it not really caring what others thought.

-black people-
I think the term you're looking for is 'people with distasteful attitude' rather than just black people.
Generalization ain't ever good. All people I know of who would ever make fun of someone else for anything are mostly White, but I wouldn't really say that because all kinds of people of different skin colour and whatever has the potential of falling into the 'people with distasteful attitude' category.

EITHER WAY THOUGH; keep on with the Charizard, and consider that all people who snicker and point most likely had awful, awful childhoods. (Y)

Kelton2

Yes, That One
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 19, 2015
One is never too old for Pokemon.
Seriously, all the talk I've personally seen about Pokemon being for kids is from older people that think all video games are just for kids, although I'm sure that opinion is not exclusive to them.
The real question is: "When should kids be introduced to Pokemon?". Pokemon has plenty of reading, so there's something.
Basically, refer to the first line of this post :P
EDIT (yes, all my posts so far are edited :P): All this reminds me of the MLP:FiM fanbase situation. In fact, it's almost identical: When people were kids, they used to like something (Gen I/II Pokemon/Gen I MLP), a newer version is out (Pretty much all the Pokemon games after the end of Gen II/Gen IV MLP (FiM, aka the one with the brony fanbase) ), and lots of people like the new one, and people hate the ones that like the new one. The only difference is that the people who hate people that like Pokemon have a different additude to the brony haters.

Last edited:
Back