• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How will mega evolutions work in the anime?

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
    I don't think they will be featured in the anime a whole lot, maybe later in the series when Team Rocket or Flare will attempt to do something evil. I'm hoping that the Megalutions will inspire Ash to evolve his Pokémon more often than he does now, but I have my doubts.
    In the games, we're only allowed to have one mega per team. Ever since Hoenn, Ash has fully evolved at least 3 of his newly caught pokemon. I don't think this would encourage Ash to evolve more of his team unless he attempted relying on switching between which mega he used per match.

Also, this could be the first time that Ash's pokemon have held items.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
    I dont see one of ash's pokemon going mega its most likely gonna happen in a team flare episode when they are trying to catch a legend if these are the only megas we get theyll probably put a cheesy reason like these pokemon were deities in that region or something who knows who knows

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I have no doubt that Ash will end up with a Pokemon that can Mega Evolve, and that he'll use it on super tough gym/rival battles.

However! I think the main difference between the game and the anime is that instead of the Pokemon holding the item, the trainer has it in their possession and the Pokemon reacts to it like the Blue and Red Orbs in Ruby and Sapphire. Just for the sake of convenience and avoiding an explanation as to how Lucario can hold its respective stone without opposable thumbs.

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
    Years
    Depending on how integral it is in the games, they may downplay it or leave it out of the anime, except for MegaMewtwo. Consider this: triple battles and rotation battles were new to Gen 5, but there was only one instance of a triple battle in the anime, and never a rotation battle.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Well , It turn out that you need an Item call Mega-ring for Megevolution .
    Its a Black Bracelet that you wear in you arm !
    Anyway ,

I actually want a Major individual Tournament where winner will receive a huge collection of Mega-stone and a Mega-ring . Ash win that Tournament and gets a huge collection of Mega-stone .

Since Writer can't create a Tournament same scales as Wallace Cup for Ash because there isn't a price that is as good as Wallace Cup price !
    After all , The Price of ''Wallace Cup'' is a Ribbon that can be use in any region .
    Writer can't do something similar as this for Ash !
    But Now that we had something rare as Mega-stone , Writer can have a large scale Tournament like Wallace Cup for Ash .

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Well, we know for certain now that Ash will obtain a Pokemon that can Mega-Evolve because well... he already has a Pokemon named Charizard that can do so. That said, if he doesn't get another Pokemon that can Mega-Evolve chances are we'll be seeing Charizard again if Ash obtains the mega-ring/mega-stone so Charizard can become mega-Charizard. Maybe he'll even bring Charizard in for the one gym leader specializing on Mega-Pokemon for that purpose who knows. But thanks to Charizard getting a Mega-evolution the chances of it being a thing in the anime has grown (other than the Kalos Gymleader but shh).

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    So now that we know how this works... and we know which Pokémon Ash can use with this new thing... I'm fairly certain Charizard will be staying through the region transition. I doubt we'll see mega evolution before Korrina though, and I'm pretty sure Ash will get the equipment either a) after losing to her and having it given to him by someone to even the odds or b) after defeating her and having her give it to him as like... a reward. Like "we obviously have more training to do before we can use mega evolution effectively; perhaps you could make better use of it in the meantime." idk

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    So now that we know how this works... and we know which Pokémon Ash can use with this new thing... I'm fairly certain Charizard will be staying through the region transition. I doubt we'll see mega evolution before Korrina though, and I'm pretty sure Ash will get the equipment either a) after losing to her and having it given to him by someone to even the odds or b) after defeating her and having her give it to him as like... a reward. Like "we obviously have more training to do before we can use mega evolution effectively; perhaps you could make better use of it in the meantime." idk

Or May be Charizard will come back later in Kalo !
    And Ash use a different kalo Pokemon for Megevolution .
    I don't like the idea of Ash losing to Korrina .
    Instate , I would love to see Ash create his longest winning streak in a series but then he lose to a Mysterious trainer who use Megamon to beat Ash !
    Then Ash goes though Special training under Korrina's guidance in order to master megevolution .

Well, we know for certain now that Ash will obtain a Pokemon that can Mega-Evolve because well... he already has a Pokemon named Charizard that can do so. That said, if he doesn't get another Pokemon that can Mega-Evolve chances are we'll be seeing Charizard again if Ash obtains the mega-ring/mega-stone so Charizard can become mega-Charizard. Maybe he'll even bring Charizard in for the one gym leader specializing on Mega-Pokemon for that purpose who knows. But thanks to Charizard getting a Mega-evolution the chances of it being a thing in the anime has grown (other than the Kalos Gymleader but shh).

I'm pretty sure Kalo Starter can Megevolved too !
    So , Ash might have a fully evolved Kalo starter for Megevolution !

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    May be , It will be cool If Ash has a Female rival with Blastoise and Male rival with Venusaur !
    And Ash bring back his Charizard .

And this 3 trainer save the world by zapping the Main villain's ultimate weapon with the combination 3 kento Mega Starter's ultimate attack .

Like how Red , Blue & Green (PokeSpe) took down Team Rocket .

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I feel like a rehash of PokéSpe in anime-verse would not go over well. Can you imagine Ash as he is and always will be, but in the role of Red? Nah. Ash isn't a warrior nor a leader.

There is a chance that the Kanto starters will be somewhat featured; however... perhaps that is the reason for Pokémon: The Origin? Maybe that's the Kanto starter promo beyond Charizard.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Since evolutionary items like Leaf Stones, Fire Stones, and Water Stones aren't used in the anime, I don't think Mega Stones would be used, either. To make certain Pokémon MegaEvolve, I think they would have to be in some sort of a deep, deep danger. Kind of like the way how Mewtwo does it in the ExtremeSpeed Genesect movie.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Some people told me how Anime doesn't need to follow game mechanics !
    So , With that in Mind -

(I'm imagining Ash facing a Villainous Leader who took control over A Legendary Trio (Like The Legendary Beast) in a Triple Battle using 3 fully evolve Kalo stater. However The Battle is pretty One-sided and Ash is also getting hit by Villain's Pokemon's attack so he is hurt & exhausted along with his Pokemon - )

Villain : Give Up Boy ! I obtain the Power of the Beast from the Legend . Do you really believe that a mare Boy like you can win against me .

Ash : ..... Your Strong ..... I give You that much ! May be its ... Too much for me .... And My Pokemon ! BB-But After everything We been though Together , After all the straggle & hardship we suffer together... I .. I .. can't just quit and ... Run away Because It would insult to my Pokemon who gave there everything to stop You ! So I can't quit even if I have to Die and.....
    WE WILL DEFECT YOOOUUUUUUUU !!!

(Suddenly Ash's Mega-ring glow and resonate with the Mega stone attach to 3 Kalo Starter Pokemon ! Their Body glow as they start Megevolving )

Villain : I-Impossible ! Mega-ring only resonate with One Pokemon !!! People can use Megevolution only once per Battle ! S-So How could you use 3 Megevolution at the same time ! ITS NOT POSSIBLE !

Ash : You won't understand , Megevolution is a Mysterious Power that Born from the connection between Pokemon & trainer ! Me & My Pokemon Connected to each other , We are One ! Thats why they can Megevolve as much they want .

Villain : S-So What that You have 3 megevolved Pokemon ! I have the Legendary Trio , THE LEGENDARY TRIO , YOU HEAR ME ! YOU CAN'T BEAT ME , I'M INVINCIBLE!!!

Ash : You may have the Legendary Trio on your control , You may be Invincible ! But You don't have what I have ! The Power of Our Bond & friendship .

(And There some music & Song will be played while Ash carrying Out his Battle and win it ! The Legendary Pokemon get free from the Villain , Ash's Friend & rival surround him etc etc.)

Sometime I wish I get to a simple villainous Ark like this rather then seeing some completed Villainous ark .

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Since evolutionary items like Leaf Stones, Fire Stones, and Water Stones aren't used in the anime, I don't think Mega Stones would be used, either. To make certain Pokémon MegaEvolve, I think they would have to be in some sort of a deep, deep danger. Kind of like the way how Mewtwo does it in the ExtremeSpeed Genesect movie.
    But they are used in the anime? Not all the time but there have been moments where we've seen a Pokemon evolve because they've touched a stone (some Eevees for example). Not to mention the times when Pikachu refused to touch a thunderstone because it would evolve into Raichu and so forth.

They might change the mechanics, but i don't think it'll be something too dramatic or complicated. Pokemon always seems to try to be as simple as possible which is why the plots and so forth are always, for the most part, straight forward. The idea behind mega-evolution will probably be the same.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I honestly don't think Mega Evolutions will really be applied in the anime--maybe in a special episode or if there is a Gym Leader with mega evolved Pokemon in the games, but that's about it. I highly doubt it'll be a common thing where Mega Evolutions will show up in the anime.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Yeah, they do seem rather complex to become a regular thing. And just because a new game mechanic/way of evolution appears doesn't mean it will be featured. But Korrina's whole deal apparently revolves around Megas so it's pretty certain that we'll be seeing them in a major capacity.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I think the lastest Corocoro scans have confirmed the existence of Mega evolutions in the anime

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    The only thing I'm wonder if how a Pokemon will hold a Mega-stone during a battle .

Back