• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen How's your Pokédex coming along?

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I always have the intention on completing the Pokedex. I haven't completed one since Blue/Red haha. A couple months into the game though, and I tend to completely lose interest in completing it.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I think my big buzz in the 4th gen to complete my pokedex was helped greatly by the fact that it was impossible for me to do so in previous gens. Not just because the third gens were messy in terms of completing the pokedex but because I didn't have anyone to trade with.

Then along came wifi trading and suddenly it blew the pokedex wide open. As long as I could find someone on the internet willing to trade, I could get any pokemon I wanted with enough determination. (or on the gts either)

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    Ever since the Red and Blue, I have always completed my dex, even if it takes forever. I am going to fill my Black Dex. I am more determined than ever- because it will really be a challenge!

Years
    Pssh, I finished Unova's Dex in 2 days.

All you need to do is catch/trade, evolve, and proceed onto next Pokemon.

I would take a picture, but I lack a camera.

But Red and Blue....Woo boy...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Pssh, I finished Unova's Dex in 2 days.

All you need to do is catch/trade, evolve, and proceed onto next Pokemon.

I would take a picture, but I lack a camera.

But Red and Blue....Woo boy...

Isn't that every Pokedex ever? You can either catch the Pokemon, get it in a trade, or evolve it. Unless you count events, those are the only ways to get Pokemon, so I'm not sure what makes Unova's easier than any other local Pokedex. o3o;

My Unova one is full, but my National one is nowhere near. As my sig says, I have 88 out of 174 non-Unova Pokemon available, including Pokemon that I can't catch outright but can breed or evolve from what I can catch. After that, I should be about halfway to National Dex completion. @-@ Closer than I've ever been, and I'm counting R/B/Y, haha.

Years
    In White, I am going to only focus on completing the Unova Pokédex. By the time I get a good chunk of the entire Pokédex complete, a new version will likely be out with an entirely new generation.

I've sort of felt a decline in enthusiasm with the designs of the new generations, but force myself to get used to them.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think this is pretty much being covered by how your pokedex is going, since people are starting to mention how far they've gone in terms of completion. By all means, you're free to continue discussing how you lack motivation, while posting how far you're going at the same time!

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
    I think mines like 217 seen, 84 obtained. I am more into competitive play, so the last thing I do is fill up my dex. The only 2 dexes I filled were Blue and Gold.

Years
    There are also so many Pokémon only available by Wi-Fi events that don't repeat, so the ones with bad luck, like me, won't really be able to get the legendaries unless we go on the GTS and trade away our other legendaries.

Since I bought Diamond so late, I missed out on everything. I missed the first few events for White even though I bought it on opening day because I traded in my DS beforehand to get credit on my 3DS. I managed to get the Victini event though. I keep an open eye for them all now.

I really want a Mew, but it'll be extremely difficult to get one. Too difficult, that it's just demotivating sometimes.

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    Back in the day of Gold and Silver I think I caught around 12 pokemon the whole time. :| I've never been good at completing pokedexes but I recently completed the Unova 'Dex, my first complete one :D Albeit probably the easiest to complete..

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    So far I've seen 153 in my Unova Dex. (which is basically completed excluding some event Pokémon)
    I'm too lazy to check my national Dex but I'm sure I remember it's over 400

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    National Dex
    Seen: 360
    Obtained: 237

I gradually complete my pokedex via trading. I've been meaning to train my Vullaby for a while; she's at level 49. I just got a Mandibuzz all EV'd and junk this week. Woe is me. xD

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    Unova dex I completed 100% of it excluding the last 3 unobtainables.. national dex is 354/646 complete (not 649 yet because again... you can't get them yet)

Years
    Own about 120 in Unova, maybe 150 out. I'm working to fill the Unova dex, but National is hopeless. It'll fill slowly as my competitive team grows.

The last Pokédex I came close to completing was on Fire Red, which just lacks the Totodile line, Leaf Green Johtos, Ho-oh, and the unobtainables.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    Unova
    Seen: 151
    Caught: 124

The only ones I'm missing are Landorus, Tornadus, and the three unreleased legendaries (Keldeo, Meleoletta, and Genesect).

National
    Seen: 524
    Caught: 319

125 and I've seen them all.
    5 more and I've caught essentially half of all known pokémon :O

Serrah

→ Kaori's Alt
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2016
    Eh, bad. I'm still around the 100's with the Pokémon I've obtained, and had only recently seen over 200 Pokémon. Just shows how much I pick up my game. @_@

Back