• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Huh? Old Voice Actors refuse PUSA's offer?!

Years
  • I was looking around the web for any information about the whole voice actor situation, as I was sorta lazy for a few days. Suddenly, PokeBeach.com had information that I thought would never happen... (ironic that that post was posted on the day of the apocalyspe...)

Water Pokémon Master of PokeBeach.com said:
    Veronica Taylor and Ash - I think I am the only website covering this stuff anymore, but it's still interesting to hear about.
    Huh? Old Voice Actors refuse PUSA's offer?!
    It has been reported by the voice actor of Meowth, Maddie Blaustein, as well as several other sources, that Veronica Taylor was recently approached by PUSA to do the voice of Ash again. However, she refused the offer. Thus, we will never get our old Ash back again (unless she somehow for some reason changes her mind...). Kind of weird if you ask me. She and the other voice were fighting to have their voices back for months, and then when they finally got the opportunity to voice their characters again, they refused to do so (I am generalizing them because Taylor seems to be the leader). Maybe I am missing something, but my sympathy for them has now permanently gone out the window, and it's a shame that it all had to turn out this way. They complained (mind you, they had good reason to originally), they fought, they tried to lower PUSA's reputation, and when PUSA finally gave in to them, they refused what they had been fighting for! What was the point in all of this then? A lot of people were (and still are, sadly.....) fighting to get the old voice actors back, and yet, the VAs themselves do not even want to voice their characters anymore. Oh well, I guess. I am watching Jirachi Wishmaker right now, and I must say, I will miss the original VAs greatly. They were extremely talented and they made the characters what they are today. Pokemon will not be the same without them, but overtime, I am sure we will adapt to the new voices and learn to accept them. On the plus side, it has been reported that PUSA will be changing around the VAs for when they start to dub the show (from that of Mastermind's), so we might get better sound-alikes. Guess we will have to wait and see.
    Wow... Veronica Taylor actually refused PUSA's offer to join while all of us were whining to PUSA and the actors. Hopefully that it's only Taylor's choice and not the others...

I just wonder why the sudden change of heart? WHY?!

I'll be sitting in my little corner and cry a bit. *sob*

Oh yeah. Before I do that, whether it's a good thing or not, PokeBeach.com also said the VAs also left 4Kids for good, according to their June 3rd article. (go read it yourselves; the post is too long for me to put over here)

*sob*

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2011
    Probly not anothe money. When it comes to show busniess money is a big thing...

Ichigo Flash

Box-kun
    Years
  • Wow didnt see that coming. Yeah I agree, if she was offered the voicing back and she didnt accept them im highly confused :S I thought she wanted it.

Sumnor

Altoshipper!!
    Years
  • Well, this bit of information isn't exactly new, as I've heard about this a while ago, but I'll try to clear a few things up for those who are just "tuning in":

Yes, Veronica Taylor was approached to reprise her role as Ash again, but PUSA approached her only. PUSA did not approach the other voice actors like Eric Stuart or Maddie Blaustein; only Veronica. And according to Maddie, Veronica did not accept the offer because PUSA did not even consider bringing the rest of the original cast back. She did not want to turn tail and leave her friends behind, so she declined.

I guess the saying "All for one, and one for all" really applies here. And I applaud Veronica for making her decision. She has shown that her friendship with her fellow voice actors means more to her than getting her role back as Ash, even though voicing as Ash has meant so much to her. I thought it was really noble of her to give up something that she loved for all these years for her friends.

Years
  • Uh... I'm not really into Pokemon Dub. or want to be but look my opinion. Veronica Tailor isn't *that* an Angel herself... It's quite simple, she asked for more money to do Satoshi's dub voice, she made the other to ask too, PUSA refused, she's gone. PUSA receives about 10,000 letters of complaints, then goes to Veronica Taylor again, still don't deal paying so much money and that's all. I'm not sure either about "her friends", that all about public. And have you seen her site? "You can pay 15$ for an Autograph! Only 15$" and stuff... So... that's my opinion. And besides, there's no way we should accept someone that only aiming money as a reason to take the job. Just accept the new Voice Actors with a warmer welcome. Just think you were in their place, making the DUB Voices of such a popular Anime and getting "hated" by people who see the show. But that's not a big deal anyway... It's just till we get used to it. And I'm sure we will.

Ashygirl

Ash is my bae!
    Years
  • Awww man that was unexpected well I guess I'll get used to most of the new voices enventully. Don't think I'll ever get used to May's voice though *shudders*

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2008
    Ash_Pokemaster said:
    Just think you were in their place, making the DUB Voices of such a popular Anime and getting "hated" by people who see the show..

Give them time too. Remember what Jame used to sound like? they just need to find the right voices for the characters. As someone who trys to do alot of cartoon voices myself i know it can be difficult to get the right voice the first time( or the second or third or fourth etc..).

Disclaimer : I do not like the new voices better then the old ones. just taking a veiw other then hate.

Sayuri no Hoshi

♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥
    Years
  • Well. I, for one, am shocked. O_O I loved Veronica Taylor as Ash. She brought...the character into him I don't think any other voice actor (excluding Rica Matsumoto entirely) could tackle. Plus, we're so used to their voices from the beginning, so this change is huge. Another actress "imitating" Ash's voice is just...BAD news. That goes for the rest of the cast, as well. I mean, we're not stupid...so why bother trying to throw the new voices at us. We KNOW it isn't going to be as good as the originals. The new voice actors seem so blah and lackadaisical; and, most of all, they killed the characters, in my opinion. But, I don't blame Veronica for refusing in a way. It isn't really fair if she only gets her job back and no one else. Someone should just tell Pokemon USA, though, that...IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT! >_< Ugh.

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
    Years
  • Well, you shouldn't be surprised. We should not give in and totally throw in the towel. Well, the morale of the old VAs went down drasticly since the special was shown. Many fans opposing to the new voices. We shouldn't give in to the new voices if you truely like or even love the old voices.

I surely don't want to see Battle Frontier or even Movie 9 being ruined by the horrible voices, it will make me totally cry!

You shouldn't trust Pokebeach since it's not a reliable source for SOVA infomation, as the Offical SOVA said in the BMG Branch.

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2006
    wow ... I don't know whether to cheer for Veronica or grumble ... but I can see after this whole thing why they just don't want to fuss about it anymore...

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
  • I not sure if I should be happy or not. I mean it is sweet that she didn't accpet it but still not sure why. Are we even sure that this is true? Still it be the same Pokemon show with or without Veronica. I mean it hard to tell what is the truth on this tread. So what do we know for sure.

I just know it still be the same Pokemon with or without the VAs and I still will watch it no matter what.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024

Okay people.... read.

I heard from Meowth (...lazy name.. XP), that she and the other VA's didn't want to work with PUSA. They have their own personal reasons on why they wanna stay with 4Kids. They all said if that if only ONE of them were offered their character's role, they wouldn't take it.
    Basically, PUSA asked for Ash and JUST Ash....they didn't enclude the others... Thus why Veronica Taylor turned them down.
    Maddie said they had their alliances to eachother as friends, and thats just how it is... If they want Ash their gonna have to offer for Misty, Brock and the others as well...

Sucks, but I can understand.

Years
  • *steps out of corner after hearing all this*

Well, just from hearing all this, my respect for both the VAs (at least Veronica) and PUSA has just dropped like a rock.

It was a stupid idea for PUSA just to approach only ONE of the old VAs. For 8+ years, they've been together, so PUSA shoulda thought that some sort of camaraderie has developed between them. I applaude Veronica Taylor about this. Bravo. Friendship above all else...

But then, there's the rumor that Veronca Taylor didn't accept the offer because PUSA didn't pay her enough money. If that's the case, Taylor should just disappear. Money isn't everything in this (and hopefully any) world...

And are you sure that Meowth knows this information for real? Besides that, they aren't going back to 4Kids. Like I said in my first post, PokeBeach had an interview with a reliable source, and implied that the cast will not be returning to 4Kids.

*returns to corner*

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2007
    I hope that if any part of this is true that it's the fact Veronica was standing up for the other voice artist. It wouldn't be the same without any of them. After years of the same voices, I don't understand why there has been this need to question change.

The only problem with any of this is that these are all rumours. You never know what can be trusted.
    ~Strawberry Vulpix~ :t037:

Ari-chan

hypnotizing
    Years
  • dqle said:
    *steps out of corner after hearing all this*

Well, just from hearing all this, my respect for both the VAs (at least Veronica) and PUSA has just dropped like a rock.

It was a stupid idea for PUSA just to approach only ONE of the old VAs. For 8+ years, they've been together, so PUSA shoulda thought that some sort of camaraderie has developed between them. I applaude Veronica Taylor about this. Bravo. Friendship above all else...

But then, there's the rumor that Veronca Taylor didn't accept the offer because PUSA didn't pay her enough money. If that's the case, Taylor should just disappear. Money isn't everything in this (and hopefully any) world...

And are you sure that Meowth knows this information for real? Besides that, they aren't going back to 4Kids. Like I said in my first post, PokeBeach had an interview with a reliable source, and implied that the cast will not be returning to 4Kids.

*returns to corner*

Well I've yet to loose my respect for any of them, they aer still good voice actors, even if they decided to refuse pusa and not come back to the show.

It was indeed stupid of PUSA to just ask for Veronica Taylor and the rest. Though I'm hoping their was a more justified reason behind asking only her.

As for Being mad at Veronica because she may have turned it down for money reasons. I honestly think getting mad at her over that is entirly unfair. Sure, money isn't everything, but it most definitly is important in this world. If she isn't paid a good amount of income for the job, then whats the point. Veronica has to think of her living expenses, food, health, insurance, and everything money is needed for when you live on your own. Life isn't cheap, and you need money to live. If she isn't paid enough to get through a year, then taking the job isn't worth it. Voice Acting doesn't pay alot at all, and I don't think loosing respect for her just because she turns down a job that doesn't pay good money is rather unfair.

As for the new dub for Pokemon, pwersonally, as much as I hate it, I'm sure I'll get used to it with time, this isn't the first an anime show has changed voice actors over a long period of time.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Ari-chan said:
    As for Being mad at Veronica because she may have turned it down for money reasons. I honestly think getting mad at her over that is entirly unfair. Sure, money isn't everything, but it most definitly is important in this world. If she isn't paid a good amount of income for the job, then whats the point. Veronica has to think of her living expenses, food, health, insurance, and everything money is needed for when you live on your own. Life isn't cheap, and you need money to live. If she isn't paid enough to get through a year, then taking the job isn't worth it. Voice Acting doesn't pay alot at all, and I don't think loosing respect for her just because she turns down a job that doesn't pay good money is rather unfair.

Needing money to live is one thing, but wanting money just to have it is another. I believe the second was implied in the rumors, and THAT is a bad thing.

As for the story, PUSA doesn't seem to understand that Ash wasn't the ONLY problem with the new voice actors (I actually think people had more trouble with Brock's voice than Ash's). I also disagree with the idea of just bringing one back. Yes, of course the VAs would have formed a relationship with each other, and they should have realized that.

However, nobody seemed to pay attention to part of the first post:

dqle's quote said:
    On the plus side, it has been reported that PUSA will be changing around the VAs for when they start to dub the show (from that of Mastermind's), so we might get better sound-alikes.

That means that the bad VAs that we've heard will most likely go away, and maybe even be replaced by better voices.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2008
    If you go back to the PokeBeach forums, someone said they emailed Veronica and she said that she wasn't offered the job, even now. That this new rumor of being offered the job is just another false one. Even WPM (webmaster of PokeBeach) said that he recieved an email from Veronica yesterday or whatever and she said that it's not true and that she still hasn't been approached by PUSA. Exact quote from WPM:

I got an e-mail from her too, but in the same breath, I saw Maddie Blaustein post again that she had been approached. One of them is lying, not me.

So this just keeps getting more interesting.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2014
    Haruka said:
    Well, you shouldn't be surprised. We should not give in and totally throw in the towel. Well, the morale of the old VAs went down drasticly since the special was shown. Many fans opposing to the new voices. We shouldn't give in to the new voices if you truely like or even love the old voices.

I surely don't want to see Battle Frontier or even Movie 9 being ruined by the horrible voices, it will make me totally cry!

You shouldn't trust Pokebeach since it's not a reliable source for SOVA infomation, as the Offical SOVA said in the BMG Branch.
    Funny, I am the only one in contact with PUSA AND 4Kids, while SOVA is in contact with.... who?

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Ari-chan said:
    Well I've yet to loose my respect for any of them, they aer still good voice actors, even if they decided to refuse pusa and not come back to the show.

It was indeed stupid of PUSA to just ask for Veronica Taylor and the rest. Though I'm hoping their was a more justified reason behind asking only her.

As for the new dub for Pokemon, pwersonally, as much as I hate it, I'm sure I'll get used to it with time, this isn't the first an anime show has changed voice actors over a long period of time.

Amen to that.
    thats the way I think of it too.
    One DOES need money to survive.
    But voice acting from what I've heard, pays quite a bit. The Simpson's cast (some of them) gets paid double-digit thousands per episode.
    I dunno how much 4Kids paid them, and I dunno how much PUSA offered Veronica but if it was a low amount, I can understand why she wouldn't do it.

Years
  • It's just as well. I really can't picture Taylor without the rest of the quartet (Lills, Stuart, and Blaustein) to give off/back up in the various chemistries and banters. A Beatles simile comes to mind.

And yeah, Birnbaum would be the fifth "beatle".

Back