• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Huh? The music changed?

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
  • In B/W, they have introduced the idea of music changing during the battle. For example, when your Pokemon falls into Red HP, instead of that old, annoying beep, the music changes into cool music with the annoying beep actually making it sound good. XD Another example is, when battling the Gym Leaders last Pokemon, the music changes as well. Also, the music changes in different seasons.

What do you think of Music Changing? I've loved the music changing, especially the Gym Leaders last Pokemon. The remix there was really awesome.
    Do you want it to return in later Gens?Yes, I do. I hope it occurs more often as well.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I think they could do a bit...more with it, especially the red HP music. I was kind of disappointed that when my Pokemon fainted, it IMMEDIATELY switched back to the normal music. Hey, my Pokemon just fainted. We should get some different music, not the normal "herp derp I'm happy action action" music.

It would be nice if they had music based on how many of your Pokemon are dead. Like, if over half your party is dead, the music is much faster and more tense.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    The beep when HP is low is still annoying, but it's far more tolerable now with the speedy music.

Hopefully they keep this change in the future. It's definitely for the better and makes battles far more interesting.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I find it really awesome, not really the red HP as much anymore, because I kinda like the battle music and I don't want that disrupted! Buuut. As for the gym leaders changing, it's pretty awesome, because it makes it FEEL like the battle is reaching the climax. Too bad I beat them so quickly... :(

The_Noob

Banned
    Years
  • You know what would be cool? If your last Pokemon was at Red HP, the music becomes a terrifiying metal solo on crack while the ominous beep goes on in the background.

Noob out.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Yeah, they could include it in more places/situations, but apart from that I think it's a great addition to the game.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
  • It's not just in battle. The music will change during the different seasons, too. Just pay attention at the end of April, when we go from Winter to Spring. You'll see...

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • What do you think of Music Changing?
    it caught me off guard the first time i heard it. but i really like it. the remix when the gym leader is on there last pokemon is really catchy and fun to listen to
    Do you want it to return in later Gens? i really hope it does.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I like the music changing. It's a nice addition and certainly adds to the feel, not to mention that the new "critical health" is so much better than plain beeping. I think it could be more widespread, yes, but I feel they were testing the waters with this one.

One place where it actually annoys me is with the final battles with N and Ghetsis. There's all this beautiful, dramatic music, but it suddenly gets TROMBE OVERRIDDEN by the critical theme. I wish they hadn't done that at all, or perhaps that there were special remixes for those specific battles.

The "gym leader climax" theme is pretty cool, though. It's a great "you're almost there, keep pushing!" kind of track. If there was a special Elite Four version as well that would be pretty cool as well.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    It's not just in battle. The music will change during the different seasons, too. Just pay attention at the end of April, when we go from Winter to Spring. You'll see...

I thought I was crazy for noticing that! I got so used to the music that when it slightly altered I was like "hmmm is this related to seasons or am I hearing things". XD;

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Just a noteeee on that, anything regarding the people that can change the music in-game belongs here (known on serebii as instrument changes), 'cause this thread is basically for the natural music changes (though primarily battling music changes), and not those you can change by talking to people.

Unless nobody posts there by the time that thread dies and then everything can just go here.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I went OMG the first time I heard it change. It think it's really awesome and that it adds to the feel of the battle. I hope it does return in later generations because I love it!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What do you think of the music changing?: It's a very neat addition, and it changes the mood of the battle. I feel pressured when my Pokemon is about to faint and I feel excited when the Gym Leader is down to their last Pokemon.

Should it return in later generations?: Yes, I think it should.

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2022
    You don't know how much I loved the music when I was down the the Gym Leaders last Pokemon.

It's almost like its cheering you on.

Last edited:

Giraffe

キリンリキ
    Years
  • What do you think of Music Changing? I /love the 'Gym Leader's Last Pokemon' music -- It really puts suspense at the end of the battle; as does the injured Pokemon music.
    Do you want it to return in later Gens?
    Definitely!

Years
  • I love the gym battle music, it makes it more exciting really. The red hp music kind of scares me honestly. I always get freaked out whenever my Pokemon is about to faint, and the fast paced music doesn't make it less intense D:

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • It's not such a big deal for me, since I usually have to play in situations where I have to mute the volume or the place is so loud that I can't even hear it. But when I first encountered it, it wasn't such a big deal for me.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • IMO it is a good idea but it could be implemnted a bit better in battles - as much of an improvement the 'low-health' tune is now (well it wasn't evn a tune in the first plac, just annoying beeping) it does at times feel a bit odd when they switch back and forth multiple times in the one battle. Maybe more subtle changes of the same tune would be better for instance rather than two or threee completely different tunes?

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Something with the "Low HP" music bothers me. If they made a new music to indicate that your Pokemon's HP is low, why is the beeping still necessary?

Back