• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I can read you like an open book.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    How open are you about your feelings?

Do you hold many secrets?

Does it take you a long time to open up to people, or do you act the same around new friends as you do with friends you've had for a while?

If you aren't open, why?
    Are you afraid people will judge you, or do you not want to burden other people with your problems?

What's your opinion on people who are outspoken about all their problems? Does it depend on how severe those problems are?

What's your opinion on people who are completely closed off and don't talk to anyone at all?

Ultimately, do you think it's better to be more closed off, or more open?

Answer my questions, or disregard them and think of your own relevant points to make.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • How open are you about your feelings?
    Not at all, I've only opened up to one person in my life(when I say open up I actually mean tell them everything) and it was a waste of time.

Well considering there's only one person I've opened up to I guess every around me practically knows nothing about me. So I guess everything about me is a secret, except that.

Does it take you a long time to open up to people, or do you act the same around new friends as you do with friends you've had for a while?
    I guess I act the same around new friends as I do with friends I've had for a while.

If you aren't open, why?
    Are you afraid people will judge you, or do you not want to burden other people with your problems?
    Neither, I just don't feel a need to open up to people or maybe I just feel insecure about it.

What's your opinion on people who are outspoken about all their problems? Does it depend on how severe those problems are?
    I really don't mind if they speak out their problems since sometimes people just need to get stuff off their chests and they need a friend to listen but I do find it troublesome if they expect me to fix all of their problems. I don't mind helping them but just not if they're going to lose their independence in the process.

What's your opinion on people who are completely closed off and don't talk to anyone at all?
    It's really up to them or maybe sometimes they want to talk to others but don't know how to approach them.

Really it's just whichever one makes you happy.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    How open are you about your feelings? I used to be really open about them and told everyone who bothered to ask pretty much anything that was going on. This is changing over time, though.

Do you hold many secrets? I only have about two secrets that I don't tell anybody, and they aren't even all that serious in the big picture. I don't know why I don't tell anyone them. Apart from that, no, I'm a pretty open person. This is changing as well.

Does it take you a long time to open up to people, or do you act the same around new friends as you do with friends you've had for a while? I'm reserved when I meet someone new. It takes a while for me to open up to you to the point where I can be comfortable being myself, but once I am, I don't have any problem at all being myself so long as I'm around someone I'm comfortable with. I don't see this changing ever.

What's your opinion on people who are outspoken about all their problems? Does it depend on how severe those problems are? It's their prerogative. No opinion, really. It's not really a big deal, and I don't have any thoughts on opinions in general. My opinion doesn't mean anything, nor does someone else's to me, when it comes to influencing someone's life (apart from specific people). And I don't appreciate people trying to push their opinions on me. Not unless I ask for it. Which is why I try my best not to push my opinions on others and try to be as open minded as I can. But that's getting a little off topic...

What's your opinion on people who are completely closed off and don't talk to anyone at all? No opinion. The only time I have a problem with that is if they're my friend. I'd like my friends to be able to tell me when there is something wrong going on.

Ultimately, do you think it's better to be more closed off, or more open? Case by case, really.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • How open are you about your feelings?: I'm somewhat open to other people if I'm feeling happy, but if I'm frustrated, I hold it in.

Do you hold many secrets?:
    Yes, I do.

Does it take you a long time to open up to people, or do you act the same around new friends as you do with friends you've had for a while?:
    The second option.

I'm not that open because I don't want people to judge me.

What's your opinion on people who are outspoken about all their problems? Does it depend on how severe those problems are?:
    I think that people who are outspoken aren't confident enough to admit they have the problem, and this depends on the severity of the problem.

What's your opinion on people who are completely closed off and don't talk to anyone at all?:
    I think that this is a sign that they'd rather be by themselves. At other times, they may wish they had other people by their side.

: It's better to be open.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Not very.

Not that many, but I do have some.

Does it take you a long time to open up to people, or do you act the same around new [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=&quot][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=&quot]friends[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] as you do with friends you've had for a while?
    Yeah, it takes me awhile to get used to people.

If you aren't open, why?

I'm just shy, so I don't like talking about myself.

I really couldn't say.

Years
  • I'm open to people who care, but I'm not one who will bring up my problems unless I'm asked. So really, that means I don't have any secrets. I act differently around people I've known for longer, but I generally wouldn't have any problem telling somebody I hardly know something about myself because I don't have anything to hide.

It's kind of irritating when people are constantly complaining (publicly, like over Facebook or something) about their problems and act as if their problems are worse than everybody else's. Most of the time they're just looking for pity. If it's something really serious, obviously they have my sympathy but I still find it kind of bad that they're so vocal about their problem and have the time to seek pity.

I don't have any hard feelings towards people who are closed off and don't talk to anyone, it's their business. I don't think it's healthy to keep everything to yourself, but I have respect for those who actually have a lot to deal with but are too dignified to be public about it when nobody cares enough to ask. As for the ones that are public that they have a lot to deal with but then won't open up, I have little respect for. Why let people know that? It's like somebody who would take the bullet for somebody else just so they will be remembered as a hero - you're not really being selfless, you're being selfish.

I don't think it's better to be either open or closed, different people have different habits and needs. However, personally I do feel less stressed by being open. If somebody wants to keep secrets then I won't ask, and if they've got problems and trust me then I'm all ears.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Not very. It may however, depend on the person. But generally, I don't like sharing my feelings with others or talking about anything related to them. I may poke some opinions of my own in particular matters regarding, but that's only occasional. I don't really hold any profound secrets, maybe a few views of my own on particular subject matters and/or people ..but if anyone asks me about them, I don't mind dropping a few words.

It takes me some time to open up to people. I'm not the same around everyone. I'm shier and quieter around people whom I have no acquaintance with. But I'm pretty much quiet even around my own group of peers. I'm not very expressive. I do try to be polite around new people though.

Why I'm not open? I don't know really. I just prefer keeping my thoughts to myself. I even chat with myself at times XD; I don't really care how people judge me though; their perception of me as a person, must be what they see. And I'm on the side of solving my problems myself.

People who are outspoken about their problems, I think, want more affection ..and I've found most outspoken people to be indecisive, and maybe unable to conclude their problems. Closed off people just take the world differently from what it really is. Or maybe, they're not even approached by society at all.

Open or Closed? Not something I can decide on. People have different habits and needs, and different ways of looking at themselves, in front of society or even the world as a whole.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    I'm a bit open. Sometimes I'm sensitive on some things, others I'm not.

It depends on what the secrets are. But yes, I keep mostly all my secrets to myself.

I usually don't like making new friends at all, I stick with friends I already have...But if I do have new friends, I treat them the same as I do to my other ones.

If you aren't open, why? Are you afraid people will judge you, or do you not want to burden other people with your problems?
    Hm... Maybe because I don't want people to judge me, or I'm just shy like that. But I'm open to friends I already have.

Raiskit

[ e v i l l i g h t ]
    Years
    I'm actually not very open, and don't talk to about them very much. When people ask me about stuff like that I give very vague answers and change the subject. Though, with close friends I talk about them more.

Mhmm! I hold a lot of secrets that I don't talk to anyone about. I don't really share secrets with anyone, not even my sister who I prolly act the most too

It really depends, I many different personalities with different people that I see fit. I trust people pretty easily, so I guess 'm slightly open towards them?

If you aren't open, why?
    Mainly because talking about my feeling might change my friend's idea of me, and I don't want that to happen. That and my feelings are kinda weird. And with having different personalities, it kinda narrows a person's view of me.

Both. I'd rather people don't worry about me, or judge me.

I don't really mind it, because I think it's good that they can openly speak about problems and not be afraid. Though if they talk about every little thing wrong with their life, I get mad.

I feel bad for them, and try to get them to open up a bit.

I think it's good to be in between, but slightly more on the open side.

Last edited:
    Years
    Not very open. I like to keep my feelings unknown.

I do hold a few of my own.

I don't disclose anything private to anyone that I don't know and it takes a fair for me to trust people to tell them.

If you aren't open, why?

Not at all. I ain't afraid of what people think of me. I just don't want to tell them. They have to earn my trust first.

Well, it all depends on the problems. Sometimes that is how people want to express themselves. Other times, I think people just look for attention.

I would rather have someone who is closed about their feelings, than someone who constantly and openly moans.

I think you need a mixture to be honest.

Ayselipera

I'm open to a certain extent. If I feel like someone needs to hear my own feelings for their own benefit then I'll just suck it up and tell them no matter how much I would prefer to keep it to myself. Most of the time though I like to keep a bit to myself. I won't lie, I sort of do enjoy that whole, "Wow you're such a mystery" thing that people mention to me.

Yeah some things are just not worth or are too hard to explain.

There's no amount of time that I have to know someone for me to open up to them. It's all about the vibe I'm getting from them. If I feel like they will generally be interested or care then I'll bring something up. I've had some friends that I've known for years and they know less about me then someone I've only met about a year ago.

If you aren't open, why?

Mainly because I don't want to burden people or worry them. I would probably just feel worse doing so. The other reason is because I don't feel all that great getting out my problems to begin with.

If being outspoken somehow helps them then more power to them. I'll be the first to admit that someone who constantly voices their problems to me can wear on me a bit, especially if I feel like they're mentioning it in more of a feel bad for me way then a I need help way. Generally speaking though it's fine with me.

Well I also get a little annoyed at people who just won't budge. Especially if they're hinting something is wrong, but every time I try to say something they come back with, "no nothing." It's like I'm not going to play this stupid game with you. If you know me in real life then you know you can tell me what's wrong. It's just frustrating.

This is one of those you need to be in the middle for it to work for me. I personally think I'm a good middle because if something has really been bothering me and I generally trust you then I'll tell you what's wrong, but I'm not going to drown you with my problems and I'm not going to give you little hints, but not get to the true problem.

Whatever helps you cope with whatever feelings you are feeling then go for it by all means. For the sake of my own annoyances though I prefer people who fall in the middle.

Headfirst For Halos

[insert ellipses here]
    Years

Very open. Why lie?

Depends on what you consider a secret.

It depends on the person really.

Say it loud, say it proud. Everyone's got problems, why be mad at them?

Well I understand them because sometimes it's hard to find someone to talk to these days without anyone bringing them down or whatever.

Depends, I guess...

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
    I generally keep my feelings to myself, save for my mother and my best friends (of which there only two or three). I don't like having my heart on my sleeve.

Yes. Some people know about it, but for the most part I keep things close to the vest.

Yes, it takes me a while to open up. I have to see that the person is someone I can trust won't judge me or talk behind my back before I'm truly myself around him or her.

If you aren't open, why?
    Because I've learned (more indirectly than directly, thankfully), that people are merciless if you give them enough ammunition. I don't want to put myself in that situation, so I watch and I listen and observe before I put myself out there.

Both, I guess. Though I don't care what most people think, the opinions of people I respect, admire, etc. do mean something to me, and I don't want to give them reason to judge me or see me in a negative light. And I really do hate burdening others with my problems. They'll ask if something's wrong, and I refuse to tell them because no matter how much I say: "Don't worry about it," they will, and the thought that I stressed someone out with my issues kills me.

Depends on the problems, yes. If they're just whining about everything that happens to go wrong, than I kinda want them to shut up. But even with legitimate issues, I think there's a point where you just turn into an angst monster, and no one wants to be around someone like that. There's a balance, and a lot of people don't know how to find it.

Seeing as I can be like that sometimes, I know where they're coming from. But when it comes down to it, it isn't healthy to keep everything bottled up, or else it'll just pile up until you're wound so tight you can't breathe.

It depends on the person and their circumstances. I mean, a person with a generally good life doesn't have a reason to be closed off. And a person with a crappy home life or ginormous secret isn't in the place to be screaming their innermost thoughts to the heavens. For me, with everything I know and everything I have to deal with, it's probably better to keep things to myself, save for a few exceptional people.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
    Somewhat open.

Oh yes. If anyone, and I mean ANYONE, found out about some of them, I'd be in hot water..

Yes, it does. Most new people I meet are complete jerks. That's why I'm hesitant in opening up to others.

If you aren't open, why?

I'm quite the conservative person, and I don't like showing any emotions because people judge me too easily all the time..

I usually don't care unless I actually like the person.

I feel that they are missing out on life. I wouldn't want to be secluded from everyone forever D:

Somewhere in the middle. I want to be open, but I don't want to reveal too much about myself. I need to create a bond slowly with the person in order to open up completely.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    This thread is totally my kind of thread. It pretty much deals with my name, lol.
    So sorry if the wall of text is annoying...

I'm very closed off in terms of feelings. Part of it may be because I'm normally asocial.
    It's not like I like to remain this way, but neither do I want to open up to people I don't like, or to people who do not open themselves to me or doesn't reciprocate my feelings.

According to the definition of secret, it is something kept away from the public. In that case my life is full of secrets, because I don't just tell anybody a lot about myself.
    But the more conventional meaning of secret is something that is deliberately kept hidden from public. In that case, I have my fair share of secrets, but I don't feel comfortable holding onto some of them.
    In fact, I don't want most of my secrets to remain to me, but I really haven't found someone I can trust enough to tell everything about me.

It takes me a lot of time to open up to people.
    But actually, time is not the main factor here. The main factor would be their personality, how much are they trustworthy, how close they are to me, and how much do I like them. If someone has a good and likable personality in my definition, and is very close to me and trustworthy, I would completely open up and be myself to them.
    One more important thing that I forgot to mention is that accepting my true self for who I am is very necessary. I test people from time to time to see how they react to smaller doses of me opening up certain parts of myself. If they can't accept those smaller things, then I don't tell them anything else.
    A big part of me getting close to someone deals with sharing my feelings, and the opposite is also true, so it's both easy or tough to achieve for someone right or wrong in my opinion.

If you aren't open, why?

Sometimes, afraid is what I am. Most of the times, it's more like I feel seriously uncomfortable about being open.
    This is mostly due to the idea that people might or will surely judge me, and accepting me for who I am is a big part in me being open in the first place.
    I'm actually okay being judged, but up to a very small level. And even with that small level of judgement, I expect someone to only say it once or twice, and then totally accept that side of mine and be okay with it.

I feel kind of annoyed at people who are annoyed by other people opening up to them with the means of telling them about their problems. I understand a small fraction of such people talking about their problems could just be doing so because they seek attention, but since when is that a bad thing in small amounts? And people should always be open about sharing their problems, unless it burdens the person they are telling the problem to. If someone can't listen to your small problems, then I can't see them getting close to each other.

As for me, I love listening to other people's problems, because it makes me feel like they feel close enough to me to be comfortable in sharing their problems. Be it little or big, it can always become a reason to laugh off about, or give comfort or solution to someone in need.

As a person who is pretty closed off myself, I can't help but get interested about such people even on first look, unless other judgemental factors come into mind. But if it stays closed off, my initial interest fades away. I normally look forward to them opening up to me when I try to get close to them, because otherwise, I don't like it anymore.
    So yeah, I like such people mainly because I can seriously relate to them, and find reasons for themselves to be closed off in my own mind. But I like such air of mystery only initially, and if they don't open up after my efforts of getting close, I'm no longer interested in that person.

I think if it was a near perfect world, where everyone was good like in the fairy tales, and everyone reciprocated and liked others, then being maximally open would be the best choice.
    However, in the real world, I don't like being closed off, but I do that anyways because I know that most people are not even worth being told about myself, or due to the unwanted problems arising from it. Therefore, I believe that most closed off people are also that way due to similar or same reasons.
    For such situations, and for this world, being closed off is a choice, one which we choose because we don't have anything better to choose. But for most cases, I think it's better to be more open.
    Once again, I would like to say that again - being closed off is a choice for a reason, and that is good too, if they can eventually open up to the right types of people.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I'm pretty open about my feelings once I get to know someone. I mean, I'm not going to tell some person I just met my whole life story, but I do generally open to most people if they ask. However, if I'm made, I'll keep that bottled up until I finally freak out and then let everyone know how I feel no matter how unpleasant that may be hahaha.

I don't hold too many secrets, but there are parts of my life I don't share unless they come up. I also don't mind open people who talk about their problems, but once they start complaining EVERYDAY, it can be a bit annoying to deal with.

Overall, I think there are some things that you should keep to yourself until you know someone, but being open isn't bad in my opinion :)

btw this thread title reminds me of home sweet home by motley crue ♥

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • How open are you about your feelings?:
    Not very. I don't tell anyone what I am felling, ever. I will always act as if everything is okay and hope for the best.

Do you hold many secrets?: Yes. (pokemon lol)

Does it take you a long time to open up to people, or do you act the same around new friends as you do with friends you've had for a while?:

I am probably a little more open to my old primary friends, who I haven't seen in ages, than my friends now. Maybe because we haven't seen each other in ages, when we do we like to gossip about everything that is going on.

What's your opinion on people who are outspoken about all their problems? Does it depend on how severe those problems are?:
    I think that people who are outspoken aren't confident enough to admit they have the problem, and this depends on the severity of the problem.

What's your opinion on people who are completely closed off and don't talk to anyone at all?:
    I think that this is a sign that they'd rather be by themselves. At other times, they may wish they had other people by their side.

:
    Open. Causes people much less stress, trust me. I will probably die like 10 years earlier with the amount of stress holding everything in causes me, and I'm only 15 :/

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Depends on my mood and who I am talking to. Online, I am far more open, but still not overtly so.

Not many. One or two. But they don't haunt my mind and soul, it's just to avoid embarrassment really.

A long time. And it depends on what sort of person my friend is. Most friends don't get much from me, some people I'm entirely open with after one week.

If you aren't open, why?

Afraid of judgement.

I purposefully added the "how severe" part, because it really does irritate me when people constantly complain about the most trivial matters. I don't want to hear how depressed you are all the time or how you nearly committed suicide for the 5277673467th time. This really just seems like attention-whoring to me, people who have serious suicidal issues don't flaunt them about all the time. To those who have actual problems, then more power to them for admitting it just as long as they're not just looking for a pity party.

I think it's a real shame that they have to resort to being that way. Nobody deserves to be completely isolated with nobody to talk to, and if anyone is that way then I only feel sad for them for not being able to gather the willpower to seek help.

Like others have said, a mixture. I think it's good to be open with those that can help you, but I don't think it's good to flaunt your problems around just for attention or as if you're proud of them or something. Either way, people are just different and whether your open or closed off it's not something that you can be blamed for. It just depends on how you use these traits. People who flaunt their problems around are annoying; people who refuse to open up to close friends, despite making it clear something is wrong, are equally annoying.

Years
  • Honestly, it depends. When I want to be known, I wear my emotions on a sleeve, so that someone knows something's wrong. However, I'm still decent enough at hiding what's truly wrong with me.

Also, I hold a lot of secrets, actually. I only share secrets with a few people on the internet, and even then, I don't tell them everything. ):
    For the most part, I'm a little closed off to new people about secrets, but circumstances can change.
    When I'm not being open, I'm pretty much afraid of being judged.

I think it's a good thing when people tell you their problems; it's always a good thing to voice your struggles. No one should ever face everything on their own. I think it's silly when people are like ~no way I'm so secretive I don't tell anyone~. They're just being proud.
    However, when people are obviously seeking attention, I get annoyed, and often either cut off contact with them, or tell them they need to STFU straight up.
    Above all, I believe a nice moderation between being closed-off and being open is a good thing. You shouldn't tell your deepest darkest secrets to just anybody, but you shouldn't refuse to ever say anything.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I'm pretty open. If I'm pissed off, you'll know it. If I'm sad, scared, excited, or nervous, I can't help but make it obvious that I am.

Quite a few. More than the average person I'd like to believe. Some of them are pretty dark, and held from everyone.

Because my sense of humour is odd and possibly offensive, I'm reluctant to use it right away. Not until I know the person, and know he/she would laugh or appreciate the jokes I make.

I don't mind personally. If you feel like being an open book, then go for it.

I can understand and appreciate people who do this. I used to be a total emo when I was younger, because I was picked on constantly. It made me lose faith in my fellow humans. I can understand people like this.

Depends on who you are. In my opinion, I hate being closed off completely, not having the option to talk to anyone.

Back