• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I don't get the Popplio hype.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    So, Popplio is not the most popular starter as far as which starter people are choosing. However, people who do like the popplio family, LOVE the popplio family more than I'd say people who are going for Litten and Rowlet.

This is my indisputable reason for loving Popplio:
    Spoiler:

The popplio line is not only my favorite starter line, it is my favorite pokemon line ever. Litten and Rowlet fans do not seem on the whole to be quite as enthusiastic. Though, I have a special place in my heart for the Rowlet line.
    Eh... I'm not sure I would say Popplio fans are the most enthusiastic about their line compared to Litten and Rowlet fans. Really, I think all three sides are enthusiastic about their favorite starter.

(That pic you posted is adorable, BTW.)

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
    Years
    • Age 24
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    Poppilo itself was a good Pokémon, before its evolution was released I never understood the hate it got. But as soon as Brionne was revealed, I wasn't really pleased with its design, compared to the other two at least. Don't get me wrong, the Pokémon is far from ugly, in fact I find it very beautiful and quite cute. But that is probably the reason I dislike it. Personally I've never really liked Pokémon that looked overly feminine or masculine e.g Gardevior is a pretty good Pokémon overall but I've never found it aesthetically pleasing. If the Pokémon looked more androgynous I would have probably liked it better. It's a shame really, since the water starters were always my favourite. But who knows, it might be good competitively and people might learn to overlook it's appearance.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
    Well how about this. I think Litten has the worst design and Popplio has the best design. How does that make you feel?
    Different strokes for different folks.

How dare you besmirch Litten.

It's just opinions at the end of the day OP. Some people like Litten the most, some like Rowlet the most, some like Popplio the most.

Years
    What's to dislike? It's a playful seal that does dazzling bubble slapping tricks to fight back? That's awesome! Typical fun package.

Although, I love my static baby owl more because.. Rowlet is cute, and when it stop giving you the death stare Rowlet actual reactions are just the most adorable thing ever! <3

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Yeah, popplio isn't that popular. I think it's just that people who like popplio the most show it more?
    But everyone is entitled to their opinion, I don't see how litten is that cute.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
    popplio isn't necessarily "ugly", but man should i say- brionne and the final evolution are some of the wierdest and ugliest pokemon. imagine a male brionee, or whatever the final evolution is called- that would be stupid. but this is just my opinion, so dont get pissed off.

i agree with cutiefly. litten looks ugly. its evo looks almost as ugly. its final looks beast.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    imagine a male brionee, or whatever the final evolution is called-

We have male Gardevoir, female Machamp, male Ninetails, male Milotic, male Gothitelle, male Sylveon...
    Pokemon's gender doesn't matter except for breeding and a strategic game with attract.

My first thought about Poplio was soo bad haha it was the worst starter ever for me! But now, it isn't that bad at all :3 I like its evolution too. They are cute and I am so glad Brionne isn't a clown!

Mr. Meme

Me? Acting serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Years
    Poppilo itself was a good Pokémon, before its evolution was released I never understood the hate it got. But as soon as Brionne was revealed, I wasn't really pleased with its design, compared to the other two at least. Don't get me wrong, the Pokémon is far from ugly, in fact I find it very beautiful and quite cute. But that is probably the reason I dislike it. Personally I've never really liked Pokémon that looked overly feminine or masculine e.g Gardevior is a pretty good Pokémon overall but I've never found it aesthetically pleasing. If the Pokémon looked more androgynous I would have probably liked it better. It's a shame really, since the water starters were always my favourite. But who knows, it might be good competitively and people might learn to overlook it's appearance.

I hope to Arceus it doesn't get used constantly in competitive play. We already have way too many stupid-looking Pokemon that are sadly being used all the time (Ex. Ferrothorn, Forretress, Rotom-W, and the one and only Landorus-Therian).

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2018
    When the starters were first revealed Litten was my favorite and I had a great dislike for Popplio because it was based on a clown (I don't like clowns probably due to watching IT as a very young child). Though that changed when those concept art leaked and I saw Litten's final evo and instantly hated it. I liked Popplio's final evo cause it didn't look like a clown and I'm starting to warm up to Popplio now.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    I find it hilarious how at first there was a thread complaining about Popplio being too hated, but now there is a thread complaining about Popplio being too liked. How times change.

Despite Popplio being my fav of the 3 new starters, I wasn't as offended by the OP as everyone else, as after all, he has an opinion too. As for Litten, its probably my least fav of the 3 but I still like it nevertheless, tbh. I'm not that big on it's evo, as to me, it looks like simply a bigger version of it, but I do like it's bell. I wasn't expecting the starter middle evos as a whole to look particularly amazing anyway, all I care about are their final evos.

Mr. Meme

Years
    One thing I can't help but notice is that people are talking about how they certain love/hate starters because of the "leaked final evos".

Guys, you do realize those are just leaks, right? Not saying they aren't real, but they aren't 100% guaranteed. Or did Pokemon release a statement/video I haven't caught up on? If not, then don't gush or ignore a starter because of a leak with no confirmation or backing by neither Nintendo, Game Freak, or the Pokemon Co.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I must say, Popplio is my least favourite of the Alola starters. Those ears look so weird on it, in my opinion. Then Brionne came along and made things even worse for me.

Litten is my favourite of the three, and Torracat only amplified my love for it. And unlike most people, I love its leaked final evo, and the possibility that the leaked starter evos will become reality makes me super excited for it to start its existence.

But at the end of the day, everyone has their own opinions, just as pretty much everyone else here has said before.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2018
    One thing I can't help but notice is that people are talking about how they certain love/hate starters because of the "leaked final evos".

Guys, you do realize those are just leaks, right? Not saying they aren't real, but they aren't 100% guaranteed. Or did Pokemon release a statement/video I haven't caught up on? If not, then don't gush or ignore a starter because of a leak with no confirmation or backing by neither Nintendo, Game Freak, or the Pokemon Co.
    The reason a lot of people are believing the leaked art is that it features Mallow who was revealed in a trailer much later after the concept art leaked. Trust me I would've agreed with you before that trailer came out, but now it has a bit more credibility.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019

There hasn't been any official confirmation, but when there's a character on the concepts that actually became a character in the games and all of the mid-evos somehow point to those final evos, then you can probably assume they're real.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
    Woah you really don't like Popplio! I was in the same boat at first though because usually I'm Water-type exclusive for the starter on my first playthrough (apart from Cyndaquil that thing is amazing!) and I thought 'there's no way I'm picking this thing - it sucks! I thought it was ugly and didn't even look like a Pokémon but it really has grown on me so, so much. I thought Litten was the best when the starters were first revealed but now I think it's just super bland and generic looking so I don't think its for me. Rowlet is adorable and I even bought a hoodie with a crossover design of Rowlet and Drake's OVO clothing line and I love it to bits. That being said I think I'll shoot for Popplio on my first playthrough anyway. If the supposed leaks of the final evolutions are real then I'll playthrough the game at least three times cause I think this is the best set of starter evolutions we've gotten in a long time.

Mr. Meme

Years
    I must say, Popplio is my least favourite of the Alola starters. Those ears look so weird on it, in my opinion. Then Brionne came along and made things even worse for me.

Litten is my favourite of the three, and Torracat only amplified my love for it. And unlike most people, I love its leaked final evo, and the possibility that the leaked starter evos will become reality makes me super excited for it to start its existence.

But at the end of the day, everyone has their own opinions, just as pretty much everyone else here has said before.

I have the exact same opinion. Preferably, I would like Litten's 3rd form to be a quadrupedal fire tiger, but the leaked design looks just fine.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I'm not a huge fan of Popplio's evolution line, but I don't really like the leaks of the various final-stage evolutions for any of the starters. Then again, I haven't really liked the starters' final-stage designs much since gen 4, so my expectations weren't that high to begin with. That being said, I always start with the water starter in my main file, so I do plan on starting with Popplio. I assume it will probably grow on me like Greninja did last generation.

Popplio is cute, but I think all of the first stage starters are cute. I think it'll be hard to predict which one is actually most popular until we start the game, find out the base stats, etc. Last generation, I remember a lot of people being excited about the fire line at first, but jumping ship to Froakie once Delphox was revealed. So we'll have to see what happens.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I have the exact same opinion. Preferably, I would like Litten's 3rd form to be a quadrupedal fire tiger, but the leaked design looks just fine.
    Some data miners have discovered that the leaked final evolutions are real. If I have to be honest, I couldn't be happier with it. Litten's final evo looks super badass, Rowlet's final evo looks pretty cool, and Popplio's final evo is beautiful and the best thing to come out of the Popplio line. But if Litten had evolved into a quadrupedal tiger or panther, I would've been fine with that too.

Back