• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I have to PAY you!?

Norcinu

Beginning Snagger
Years
  • I think money had to be earned through work like IRL, and winning it on Pokemon battles would be gambling. But think about this, you're stuck out in the wild, surviving dangerous and lethal Pokemon on a daily basis, you've just defeated someone and they have money on them.

Well I'd friggin' roll them XP

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Im going to assume every pokebuck is equal to one cent, so if you get 100 pokebucks from a trainer in the game, I'm assuming its about 1 dollars. So bear with me.

Well in the games you only net out about 50 cents from the youngsters and lasses in the beginning at least, That's pretty realistic considering they probably only carry that much around, and most things you buy such as pokeballs are about 200 pokebucks,

I can see the rich trainers, Such as Gentlemen and Socialites as "gambling" type people actually, so getting money from them I can see
    Rich kids probably would be "show offs" and maybe snobby, going be stereotype here, they have a lot of money, so if they lose, they lose :>

Cool and Ace trainers could probably fit in the over confident category, usually you win about 1000 pokebucks from them, I can see them gambling, over confident because they are an ace/cool trainer, thinking that is a bet they can't lose

Gym leaders, naturally could give out prize money, I can totally see that, And the Elite four being much stronger could hand out money too.

Even though I don't see anyone winning money in the cartoon, I could see you winning prize money from certain people. Namely the rich and Leaders.

Lol... I remember in the days of red and blue that you'd loose half of your money from a full party faint. That seems a bit cruel... Though it teaches you to have a decent party. It would almost seem that staying at a Pokemon centre is free, and perhaps the kitchens are hostle like, where people can take what they need. Though there is a reception area for trainers checking in.

But what I think it really just is, is that they have unlimited funds, without much explanation, just because it is easier that way. This allows those who create the anime to do whatever they want with their characters, while never having to directly answer the question.

Or:

I have to PAY you!?

Or this ^^
    I love VG cats xD

I have to PAY you!?

Hurrr

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
  • Ha ha, VG Cats. Love it. :)

I could imagine something the system being used in the real world, but only if there were certain regulations on it, since it's gambling, as mentioned before. For example, there would be several different Pokemon licenses, administered according to age, country, et cetera. For example, an American with a Pokemon license specified for age 18+, the legal age of adulthood in the US, would be allowed to bet money on a Pokemon battle (but this would also depend on individual state laws), whereas an American with an age 10-17 license would be forbidden from doing so.

Then again, it is a video game, and the developers can do whatever they want with it.

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure the PokeDollars are based on Yen, and there are usually 90-100 Yen to a dollar, depending on conversion rates.

Giving up a few bucks when you lose (If Pokemon were real) really isn't so far fetched in my opinion.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I've always wondered that myself.

Honestly, I think most of the trainers, if that did apply, would find some way around it. People are entirely too greed driven in real life, to fork over 3000 to some stranger for kicking their butt in a battle. :/ I can't really see it happening, unless you happen to run into the occasional mature, respectable Pokemon trainer. They would probably be the ones to end up as Gym Leaders, either that or they'd just have to be rich, and not care that they lost money.

"Man, I hate you! You just owned me in two turns! Go die! ..Oh, but here's 700 dollars!"

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
  • Wellll according to foreword from Professor Oak in my copy of The Official Pokemon Handbook (you know, that book that was a really basic Pokedex from a decade ago?): In addition to all the experience your Pokemon gain, you earna a cash prize for every competition you win.

And note: Oak's context of 'competition' is a little different than what you may think. A page before, he says: If another trainer challenges you to a friendly competition, you must accept. Both bits were under the same heading. So we can assume in the first quote a competition is equivalent to a casual battle.

And, yes, this is anime relevant. Also in the foreword were mentions of the characters from the show. It may be a rule set up by the Pokemon League itself, or an honor code of some sort (probably the former). And like someone said, 300 pokedollars ~= 300 yen ~= three dollars. Not much. Most youngsters/lasses/campers/picnickers give out less than a hundred pokedollars.

So, yeah. From the sounds of it, payment does ocurr in most cases.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2014
    Lanee I totally know what you're talking about. I have the same book and use it all the time. It's the greatest isn't it. BTW that's what I read too, but a pokemon attle is knd of like a competion(only you know not as big and it's only two v. two)

BTW I also noticed that in the anime, there is no pay. But keep going with your ideas.

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
  • Wellll according to foreword from Porfessor Oak in my copy of The Official Pokemon Handbook (you know, that book that was a really basic Pokedex from a decade ago? yup. it was. I got the special green one.): In addition to all the experience your Pokemon gain, you earna a cash prize for every competition you win.

And note: Oak's context of 'competition' is a little different than what you may think. A page before, he says: If another trainer challenges you to a friendly competition, you must accept. Both bits were under the same heading. So we can assume in the first quote a competition is equivalent to a casual battle.

And, yes, this is anime relevant. Also in the foreword were mentions of the chracters from the show. It may be a rule set up by the Pokemon League itself, or an honor code of some sort (probably the former). And like someone said, 300 pokedollars ~= 300 yen ~= three dollars. Not much. Most youngsters/lasses/campers/picknickers give out less than a hundred pokedollars.

So, yeah. From the sounds of it, payment does ocurr in most cases.

Well, I just figured the "honor code" was a sort of pay-me-or-I'll-set-you-on-fire-with-my-Charmeleon type of system. Either way it still works just fine.

Years
  • Eh, i know they start at 10 in the Anime, but i personally think they are older in the game, at least 12, if not older. I believe that in Gym, League and Frontier battles there'd be cash prizes, but consisting of submittance fees or something...? I dunno.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • Lol... I remember in the days of red and blue that you'd loose half of your money from a full party faint. That seems a bit cruel... Though it teaches you to have a decent party. It would almost seem that staying at a Pokemon centre is free, and perhaps the kitchens are hostle like, where people can take what they need. Though there is a reception area for trainers checking in.

But what I think it really just is, is that they have unlimited funds, without much explanation, just because it is easier that way. This allows those who create the anime to do whatever they want with their characters, while never having to directly answer the question.

Or:

I have to PAY you!?

....Damn.
    I was just scrolling down this thread just to post the very same picture, and you had to beat me to it.

..Damn.

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
  • Well, I just figured the "honor code" was a sort of pay-me-or-I'll-set-you-on-fire-with-my-Charmeleon type of system. Either way it still works just fine.

There's that xDD

Like I said, it's probably a rule anyways. We may not see it in the anime... but Brock has to have some way of buying all of that food, right?

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    Of course, with their pokemon knocked out, and yours still in fighting condition...
    Who's to say you can't just take the money >=)

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2014
    The pokedex has a way of readig defeat(it reads how the pokemon's health is so when all run out it senses that) and the pokepoints idea is applied here. Pokepoints are sent digitally.

Ayselipera

I would doubt that. Especially with the amount of
    money you get after you win. I don't think there
    are alot of 10 year olds with more than 10 dollars
    on them or any money at all. If there were actual
    pokemon events then maybe you would win a trophy
    or some amount of money for winning.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2013
    well i think they do it in the show even though they dont show it if they run out they could just get it from there parents seeing as most of the m have money.

Back