• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: "I second this" option for posts

.Seth

.explorer.
Years
  • My opinion on implementing this is the same as Pachy's. If it is implemented, the only thing I think that would be needed is a thumbs up system. The post with the highest amount of thumbs up would probably be given more attention, since it would be ruled the most helpful. Kind of like critiques at DA play out, they're above the comments and how the most comments with thumbs up on YouTube are shown at the top of the comments.

Thumbs? Prepare for thumb *****s. If it was with thumbs, then some of us might not even want to post due to someone already achieving the answer/best-reply, and that might lead to a decrease in over-all activity, and then that person who gets best-replies like 1,2,3 will pretty much end up being the one-to-beat and possibly turn into an ******* when said member gets beaten to a post, etc. Also, favoritism.

Just my thoughts; reading/responding not required. Also, good luck deciphering the censored words. :@

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    In my opinion, it's not necessary. If people are looking for something in paticular, it doesn't take long to run down through a few posts. This isn't youtube or facebook or any other site like that. I mean, it'd make people reliant on others to read posts for them in hopes that they'll "agree" with the more notably valid posts. Regardless, people are going to end up going through a thread and reading each post to see which applies best to what they were looking for. Fair enough that this may be useful in sections such as C&T, it could help people find the answer quickly etc. but most other places it'd be pointless.

It defeats the purpose of this being a forum if we introduce something that encourages people to be lazy and lurk for the best reply. All maturity or attitude of your typical PC member aside, it'd be a little too conveiniant for a forum to do this. It'd be dragging PC into the social networking area. Though not a bad suggestion, I don't think it'd do great justice to anyone to have it. It's nothing like a reputation system either. The funny thing about forums is, not all members are recognised for their posts (I would nearly say the majority aren't), but for their general attitude so a post with 110 "agrees" isn't going to add to the user's pool of respect either.

In any case, I'll just reiterate the point of it being redundant having such a system on a forum, a place where people post their opinions and others comment on those opinions. I feel people would end up "agreeing" with someone's post rather than quoting it and replying to it stating why they agree whilst adding their own opinion. My 2 cents worth.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Ugh, no way. :/ I agree with the posts that say "let's not turn PC into Facebook", and guess what? I'm posting my thoughts instead of clicking on a little "agree" button on their post. Imagine that. Stop being lazy. Type out a full reply or don't tell people you agree/thumbs up at all, it's as simple as that.

Regardless, I'll sooner stab myself in the eye with a hot needle than code any sort of feature like this, so unless there's an existing addon for our version of vB, it ain't happening.
    This is a more complex issue than the sort of thing I'm imagining it being used for. Sometimes there is something to add, and I'm all for that. Sometimes, though, a simple answer is sufficient, and if someone's already provided one, there's really nothing more to say.

As for the latter part, I'm happy to say that I'm an experienced programmer and would be willing to do it myself, or at least try.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • Don't worry... There are already many popular mods for vB that do this. Whether they support your version or not, I'm not sure.
    There are some good PHP / JS / AJAX coders on this site, not to forget that this is something very simple to implement.

The only reason we don't see many "quote and iawtp" posts is because of the 15 characters rule. And many a times there is nothing to add.

If such a system is like rep to you, just make something like "Post Comments" that are not anonymous and visible to everyone.

It may not seem like a problem for the OP to check out all the comments... But if do search before you ask questions... And you come across some thread in which somebody asked the same question... This would certainly help :)

FloatingClouds

Champion CSSer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2011
    at the bottom of each post there could be a button saying "was this answer helpful?" and the most helpful answer would be displayed on the first post.

Back