• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds flights all over Europe

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    The funny part is, I bet flights in Iceland are continuing mostly as normal.

My father once said "that's the thing I like about modern Britain — everyone's lazy".
    Dont' take this the wrong way like Gaga For Gaga did below.

Last edited:

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    In fairness we're a welfare state now, but that's a different topic.

I didn't even know about the ash clouds until my friend told me. Kinda unnerving though.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • And they say amricans are lazy, we are usually the first ones to take action in the moment of need...

"So others may live" USCG
    "Never let your friends down" Former US Army National Guard Soldier
    "No one deserves to die, NO ONE" My best friend USMC Soldier

Bottom line to sacrifice your life so others may live is the greatest thing anyone no matter where they are born or what they look like can do. I hope everything works out if the worse does happen...

Years
  • And they say amricans are lazy, we are usually the first ones to take action in the moment of need...

Bottom line to sacrifice your life so others may live is the greatest thing anyone no matter where they are born or what they look like can do. I hope everything works out if the worse does happen...

WTF?

Anyway, it is a little unnerving, but it should be alright.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    And they say amricans are lazy, we are usually the first ones to take action in the moment of need...

World War 2 would love to say hi.

Angela

Aristocracy
    Years
  • You guys do know UK isn't the Only country.. Most of Northern Europe has had their flights canceled, Spain even had to cancel some flights.. :P

Yus... Icelandic Volcano go be really angry at UK... UK's gonna pay along with the rest of Europe who just stood by.. xD

Anyway.. I feel this thread is lacking in info..

Ok, so the friendly see-able volcano in Iceland stopped.. And instead another one started erupting under a glacier which is about 10-30 times stronger then the one that just ended.. So thus.. Your flights got canceled, and do to the Volcano's convenient location there are now hughes monstrous floods coming from the glacier, it has already torn some bridges and destroyed roads..

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years

HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA HAHA

I thought you were serious for a couple of seconds there.

But really it's a bummer. Darn volcanoes not considering our schedules. :(

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    I have to agree with Angela on this as I find it trivial how the media is more concerned with canceled flights instead of how this eruption is affecting the environment and people of Iceland and the surrounding area :/

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    who cares about cancelled flights, I am more worried about people breathing in these fumes. Couldn't that be dangerous ?

Apparantly the plume of ash is too high to do any damage to humans, however North Scotland is being warned to prepare itself for a possible downpour of ash.

Some good news though fellow brits, watch the sunset tonight, experts are saying the ash is gonna make it look really special.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2010
    Apparantly the plume of ash is too high to do any damage to humans, however North Scotland is being warned to prepare itself for a possible downpour of ash.

Some good news though fellow brits, watch the sunset tonight, experts are saying the ash is gonna make it look really special.
    if the ash comes down then it would be a health risk because when the ash gets in your lungs it mixes with the fluids and turns into a cement like substance causing suffacation. of course youd have to breath in a lot though.

https://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/19179131

finally someone not talking about just the planes. hes also the first reporter ive heard to attempt to say the name of the volcano. lol

Eyjafjallajokull anyone?

Magik?!

Georgums.
    Years
  • One of my friends from Scotland has been texting me nonstop yesterday and today, saying things like 'THERE'S A VOLCANO CLOUD', 'I swear a piece of ash just hit my nose' and 'I think I'm suffocating.' It's pretty funny (he's perfectly fine, and in a low-risk area).
    Unfortunately I'm supposed to be flying to Scotland on Monday, from Ireland... and the airspace is going to be opened (providing that this other volcano beside it doesn't erupt o.o ), so I'm kinda hoping that the engines don't blow up or anything. 'Cause that would be bad.

Apparently the health effects, for anyone who has asthma or bronchitus or anything, are basically the same as if you went into a slightly dusty room - coughing and stuff, perhaps some wheezing. If you have any reaction, it's advised that you stay indoors P:

Did anyone see the 'I hate Iceland' guy on Scottish news? xD Youtube him. (My internet's being weird, otherwise I would get a link)

Ayselipera

I feel really bad for people who were counting on going on April vacation trips over to Europe or out of Europe. If I was in Europe right now though I couldn't help, but take complete advantage of this and spend all my extra time enjoying more then I would have already.

On Another note I did hear that the volcanic activity going on right how could possibly melt a glacier that's been capping another volcano in Iceland. Supposedly if that glacier is to melt and the other volcano erupts it could possibly launch the Earth into a mini ice age. I thought that might be an interesting tidbit of information to share.

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    I think 1/4th of all Norwegian flights are grounded...or more. I dunno.
    I live in Norway.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • Can I find it awesome? :X Don't get me wrong, but Vulcanoes interest me a lot.
    I quote a little of what I wrote in my dA Journal earlier today:

"As background information, Iceland is tectonically active. Situated on the Mid Atlantic Rift, new oceanic (continental on the island) crust is constantly added. This implies breaking the old crust and pushing it aside so magma from the Earth's mantle can rise and harden as new crust.
    The eruption of the Eyjafjallajökull (coffee pasta people, coffee pasta) shows that the Atlantic Ocean is still alive.
    Did you know that there's no oceanic crust older than 200 milion years (Ma)? At that age, it reaches the other side of the ocean where it undergoes subduction under the continental plates. Older oceanic crust can, however be found on the continental plates where obduction has found place. This explains why oceanic crust can be found in Canada (Burgess Shale, one of the sites where a lot of Cambrian fossils have been found), Cyprus and even on top of Mount Everest!

But back to our vulcanic activity. Last weeks eruption was quite big, sending and ash cloud in the direction of (North) West-Europe. There wasn't much wind (High Pressure Area), so its crossing was very slow. But it's path was closely monitored by the Weather Institute. Though it would take litterally houres to reach the European shore, Air Traffic was kept on the ground for obvious safety measures. At least 'till 10 am today the Air would be closed.

I find this all very interesting, of course. Though it bugs me that they haven't let a geologist talk on the radio/tv. :B (At least not that I've heard)"

Yes, I study Geology, and part of me wants to go study Vulcanology, the other part wants to study other stuff.

Outside of the Geological box however, Vulcanoes are dangerous things, and I know that. Doesn't mean I can't find it awesome, no?
    The economical damage will probably be significant.
    I heard yesterday on the radio that people who couldn't work because of the vulcanic ash cloud could get rights of payment. Those who work for the Flight Bussiness can't, since 'it's a risk of the job'. I don't know if I find that completely fair. =/

Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Volcanoes interest me too...although I'm still in school, so I don't know that much.

I find it brilliant how empty the sky is, and how there're no RAF jets flying over just generally being noisy (I wouldn't mind if it was a Typhoon Eurofighter, or one of those F35 JSF that we're meant to be getting, but Harriers and Tornados have irritated me after I saw them 20 times. By which time I wasn't even 2).

I just hope that ash cloud never drops, or we're all screwed, especially as most of the people I know and like, including me, are ashmatic (I think that's how you spell it)

Years
  • I read about this in the newspaper today, it said all flights in Frankfurt have been cancelled. Since it's a regional newspaper, there wasn't much about other places, though.
    Well, apparently, they now have to bring all the people to hotels (because most stuff from help organisations is still in Haiti), I wonder who is going to pay for that...

As for myself, I didn't see any changes in the sky yet, but since quite a few kilometres from Iceland away, I shouldn't be expecting it anyways...

Back