• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds flights all over Europe

Years
  • Luckily for me, I avoided that Volcano by a few days. I was in Iceland until Friday, and we got pretty close to the volcano (well, close to a volcano, not sure if it was the errupting one..). Got a good picture of it with smoke coming out the top. Would post it, but this is only my 2nd post -. -'

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2011
    If you guys would like I could post the images, awesome awesome looking eruption

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    My GF is stuck abroad because of the Volcano, she may be stuck until next month! Still, good to see the necessary precautions are being made.

Years
  • Angela's post is the first I've heard about how the volcano is affecting people in Iceland. I hope damage to roads is the extent of the damage there and no one's lives and homes are in danger.

On the positive side there should be lots of data for geologists and the like to study. Maybe they'll learn something new.

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
  • This whole thing was a mess for my schools France trip =[ incredible to think that something like this could cause trouble all over Europe.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Well, some tidbits of info: all airports in Europe are closed, save for a few in South Portugal, Spain and Italy. There is a massive chaos and most companies are losing about 120 million per day.

Yesterday, some German airlines did some flying tests to see if they could fly under special caution measures, so maybe this can be solved soon.

The volcano is still producing ash so Europe can suffer a big blow on its economy.

Years
  • I think there will still be loads of delays, as Europe is painfully bad at dealing with unusual and unforeseen problems.

Most recent example was the snow we all had. It was only snow and England was brought back to the ice ages.

This problem with the volcanic ash is a huge problem for the economy. Doesn't help as we are already in trouble, due to the recession and our pointless government.

its natural, get over it.

Really? It might be caused by a 'natural' thing, but the situation is not natural.
    You wouldn't be saying "get over it" if you were stuck in another country, having to pay more and more for your hotel costs.

Crap troll is crap.

Trope

Protéger just au matin~Féerie!
    Years
  • Planes will crash if they fly through it, simple as that. I'm not entering any plane right now, even though they're testing with flying at low altitudes and are saying that it's 'safe'. >_>

Shakespeare

Today We Play It My Way!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2011
    I've just discovered that it has caused floods to. Too much to handle, eh?

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • I'm not entering any plane right now, even though they're testing with flying at low altitudes and are saying that it's 'safe'. >_>

I heard they weren't going to bother flying at low altitudes? Apparently, because of the way the planes are designed, it burns a lot more petrol to fly at a low altitude, so it costs ridiculous amounts.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Apparantly British airspace will be open again from tomorrow onwards.

Trope

Years
  • I heard they weren't going to bother flying at low altitudes? Apparently, because of the way the planes are designed, it burns a lot more petrol to fly at a low altitude, so it costs ridiculous amounts.

KLM and Lufthansa are flying, and many countries are planning on opening the airspace again tomorrow, even though the planes will be flying on lower capacity. At least, that's what I heard on the radio 2 hours ago. Belgium's airspace too will open up tomorrow, so I guess Zaventem and Oostende will open up again as well.

Flying at high costs and making little profit still beats grounding planes and making no profit whatsoever. =/

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2010
    Iceland + hot lava = not good. There's serious danger of one big gletsjer melting, and if that happens, Iceland will have a lot of trouble, even more than it has already.
    i love how you think its an icy place because it has ice in its name. oh how wrong you are. volcanoes are usually mountains. now what are mountains covered with usually? oh yeah, snow and ice. what happens when molten rock contacts it?

greenland is icy.
    iceland is green, for the most part.

iceland
    greenland -- you can also see iceland

both pictures taken during this time of year. dont judge things by the name

Trope

Years
  • I know how Iceland looks, I've been there more than once. I know it isn't all deep frozen. But you can't deny the fact that the active volcano is a gletsjer volcano, lying under the ice. Ice which is melting at the moment. Last news I heard about it, there is a crack in the gletsjer already. So there's a high flood risk.

Which is what I was pointing out, but obviously in the wrong way.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2010
    I know how Iceland looks, I've been there more than once. I know it isn't all deep frozen. But you can't deny the fact that the active volcano is a gletsjer volcano, lying under the ice. Ice which is melting at the moment. Last news I heard about it, there is a crack in the gletsjer already. So there's a high flood risk.

Which is what I was pointing out, but obviously in the wrong way.
    no. you were simply putting out it was causing flooding because it was called iceland. you even italicized the word ice in the name.

now your trying to just defend yourself rather poorly at that

Magik?!

Georgums.
    Years
  • no. you were simply putting out it was causing flooding because it was called iceland. you even italicized the word ice in the name.

now your trying to just defend yourself rather poorly at that

Well, I don't know whether this is what they were talking about or not, but in all the news reports that are about the enviornmental stuff rather than just the planes, they have been talking about flooding, and the ~700 people that were evacuated, were evacuated because of flooding risks more than anything. And considering the volcano is beside/under Iceland's fifth biggest glacier or something, it would kind of make sense.
    I dunno, maybe they were being stupid, but what they were saying was completely correct. There are major flooding risks at the minute, and it's the ice that's causing the ash clouds in the first place.

Plus... Irish airspace is open tomorrow too :D Yay!

Back