• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If a tree falls in a forest...

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years

It is much more complex than that.
    If it exists, but no one knows that it exists, then how can you say that it exists if you don't know of its existence? And even then, if you did know if its existence, then it wouldn't be such an enigma, would it?

Although putting limits on existence when using human knowledge is stupid, it is the only thing we can rely on. We have never seen atoms, but we know that they fit perfectly in the science curriculum.
    Actually, atoms have been seen(in a way) and have been proven to exist. Thus, they have been perceived. But I like your reasoning. XD

I think this is another dumb question. They obviously didn't have a lot to do during the 18th century.
    Which is why we have Shakespeare and all those long books and plays. :P

Ok, Firsy off, i didnt read any of the above but the first post.

Ok. Yes, it does. Even if there isnt anyone there to hear, the tree still makes, in simple terms, sound waves.

These kinds of questions bother me. though there not about the same thing, they sem similar to questions like "What came first, the chicken or the egg." or "What is the sound of one hand clapping."

Nice thread though. Something very fun to talk about.
    Sound Waves are only considered sound if they are perceived by the eardrum(through someones definition).

Regarding the question "What came first, the chicken or the egg."
    From a religious standpoint, the chicken(possibly).
    From a scientific/evolutionary standpoint, the egg(from the hybrid of a red and grey junglefowl).

Existence is not relative, the individual's perception is.

Unless you propose that things just out of sight disappear and reappear upon coming into range of perception. It makes a limited amount of sense if you consider our minds unconsciously recording and "living out" a scenario for each imagined object or being, with a set of natural laws and reactions of every kind, understood or not, applying seemingly universally to every instance of action and reaction.

But it's much simpler to believe you exist in a shared reality with limited understanding (according to one user, Occam's Razor). And it makes me less lonely. =3
    The theory proposes that once something has been perceived it exists until something else comes along and alters it in which case it still hasn't changed in the memory of the perceiver until the perceiver is brought to the stimulus to see how it has changed. (Well, that's my take on the theory anyway, feel free to counter that part)

I don't really believe in the theory apart from being an interesting thing to study. Like evolution. "It's just interesting" is the reason I posed it in the first place.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    I'm with most of the people here.

I'm a scientist (Chemist, to be exact, but I also dabble in physics).

Until the Matrix idea is proven, a tree makes a sound whether we hear it or not. When a tree falls, there is energy involved. Kinetic energy mostly, but there's always potential energy, in theory. When it hits the ground, the kinetic energy is transferred, which disrupts the particles on the ground, which creates the vibration and we hear the sound.

You may recall the first law of Thermodynamics: Energy cannot be created or destroyed. If you say that a tree does not make a sound, you are saying that its energy disappears, and if you say its energy disappears, then you are violating one of the most fundamental laws of science, the thermal version of Newton's mechanical laws of motion, or even Kepler's laws.

What the philosophy behind this implies is that, when we die, the universe ceases to exist, the fundamental laws of science break down, because we can no longer perceive it. However, how many people buy the farm every day? The universe doesn't change; we do.

Philosophy is fine, and I'm even okay with philosophy in science, but keep it to cosmology. Don't bring it into the basic laws we're taught, and that have never, ever failed to be reproducible. Saying that matter, a measurable quantity, doesn't exist because we just can't perceive it is just absurd, in the same way saying the first law of thermodynamics breaks down if we're not there to experience it... is completely insane.

One last point to discount this fiasco...
    When Katrina came down and filled New Orleans with mass destruction and general brouhaha, you may not have heard it. You may not have perceived it, or heard the soundwaves, but you're going to sit back and argue with the people who were there and say everything happened in silence? I think not.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    I'm with most of the people here.

I'm a scientist (Chemist, to be exact, but I also dabble in physics).

Until the Matrix idea is proven, a tree makes a sound whether we hear it or not. When a tree falls, there is energy involved. Kinetic energy mostly, but there's always potential energy, in theory. When it hits the ground, the kinetic energy is transferred, which disrupts the particles on the ground, which creates the vibration and we hear the sound.

You may recall the first law of Thermodynamics: Energy cannot be created or destroyed. If you say that a tree does not make a sound, you are saying that its energy disappears, and if you say its energy disappears, then you are violating one of the most fundamental laws of science, the thermal version of Newton's mechanical laws of motion, or even Kepler's laws.
    As I've said before and will say for many times to come, I'm a fairly religious person. I think that the deviation you made while posting this is the fact that the theory of immaterialism is considered metaphysics which is not in fact a true science.

The question was a fun question to debate about and I don't actually believe it. I'm merely upholding it through my own logic because it's interesting.

Back to the topic. The actual main thing is how sound is defined. Well, yes while immaterialism also comes into play in this question we should also look at the scientific side. I don't deny the Laws of Thermodynamics and yes, the kinetic energy from the tree did not just dissappear.

Even though the energy did not dissapear it's still not sound. Sound is in laymens terms:

Projector of the sound(stimulus) --> Kinetic energy on a molecular level --> Ear(Receiver)

Keep in mind that I'm now speaking from a scientific standpoint and that without a receiver, how can

kinetic energy that hits the eardrum is amplified by the ossicles, converted into nerve impulses, and which are then interpreted by the brain as sound

be considered sound without a receiver? In which case, it's just kinetic energy vibrating particles. Therefore, the first law of thermodynamics was not violated from this point of view. Keep in mind that we are blatantly ignoring the immaterialism idea at this point.

One last point to discount this fiasco...
    When Katrina came down and filled New Orleans with mass destruction and general brouhaha, you may not have heard it. You may not have perceived it, or heard the soundwaves, but you're going to sit back and argue with the people who were there and say everything happened in silence? I think not.
    My condolences to those involved. Also, to uphold the immaterialism idea, those people who were involved felt it. Those who watched it on TV saw it. Those who read it in the news found out about it. This is known as perceiving something.

What the philosophy behind this implies is that, when we die, the universe ceases to exist, the fundamental laws of science break down, because we can no longer perceive it. However, how many people buy the farm every day? The universe doesn't change; we do.

Philosophy is fine, and I'm even okay with philosophy in science, but keep it to cosmology. Don't bring it into the basic laws we're taught, and that have never, ever failed to be reproducible. Saying that matter, a measurable quantity, doesn't exist because we just can't perceive it is just absurd, in the same way saying the first law of thermodynamics breaks down if we're not there to experience it... is completely insane.
    I think the main problem here is that most are confused by the fact that the question
    "If a tree falls...ect"
    is actually two questions that may be answered from a metaphysical standpoint or scientific standpoint.

Also, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this but please read the Schrodinger's Cat article here.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    As I've said before and will say for many times to come, I'm a fairly religious person. I think that the deviation you made while posting this is the fact that the theory of immaterialism is considered metaphysics which is not in fact a true science.

If that's the case, then please leave my field out of it. It's simple as that.

Back to the topic. The actual main thing is how sound is defined. Well, yes while immaterialism also comes into play in this question we should also look at the scientific side. I don't deny the Laws of Thermodynamics and yes, the kinetic energy from the tree did not just dissappear.

Even though the energy did not dissapear it's still not sound. Sound is in laymens terms:

Projector of the sound(stimulus) --> Kinetic energy on a molecular level --> Ear(Receiver)

Keep in mind that I'm now speaking from a scientific standpoint and that without a receiver, how can

kinetic energy that hits the eardrum is amplified by the ossicles, converted into nerve impulses, and which are then interpreted by the brain as sound

be considered sound without a receiver? In which case, it's just kinetic energy vibrating particles. Therefore, the first law of thermodynamics was not violated from this point of view. Keep in mind that we are blatantly ignoring the immaterialism idea at this point.

Ah, but you're taking "sound" to be the unit involved here! Sound is a byproduct of the transferred energy. That which creates the "sound" is still traveling through the air. So, by saying that there is no "sound", then you're also saying (taking syllogism into account) that that which creates the "sound" is also not there. Thus, you contradict yourself.

With your point, if we're looking at this from the poor tree's point of view, because you, the receiver, are not present to interpret the sound, then you do not exist. ;)

My condolences to those involved. Also, to uphold the immaterialism idea, those people who were involved felt it. Those who watched it on TV saw it. Those who read it in the news found out about it. This is known as perceiving something.

No, that's called finding out about something. Perceiving it is taking your own interpretation of something. Some who were there may think it was an act of god, those who read about it may consider it a hoax, those who saw the aftermath may have thought a group of Yankees fans went through the area after being beaten by the Phillies. That, my friend, is perception. None of those alter the scientific fact behind what actually happened.

I think the main problem here is that most are confused by the fact that the question
    "If a tree falls...ect"
    is actually two questions that may be answered from a metaphysical standpoint or scientific standpoint.

Also, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this but please read the Schrodinger's Cat article here.

Yeah, and? If you're arguing from the metaphysical standpoint, then, again, please just say to us science folk, "You're right, but I'm thinking about it in a way that omits your field". And we'll say, "Alright, fine, but don't you dare even place your foot inside our door". You know? Trying to argue the scientific standpoint to a scientist is kinda like trying to play chess with Bobby Fischer. You will not win.

And I'm quite familiar with Schrodinger's Cat. And let me tell you, in the scientific community, it's generally a novelty. It's an interesting (yet paradoxical) concept with a sadistic method. Everything a physicist needs to do his work happily. haha. It deals with probability and uncertainty, and is highly metaphorical (and highly theoretical). For example, there may be someone outside your door right now. But you don't know; so, based on this (that is, the Copenhagen interpretation), there is both someone outside your door, and no one outside your door. That's what they mean by superposition of the states, and its highly relative in larger scale models, as there are an infinite number of things that could (or could not) be outside your door.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    If that's the case, then please leave my field out of it. It's simple as that.
    I though you were a Chemist? Although physics and chemistry are related, chemistry doesn't have much to do with metaphysics from a laymens standpoint.

Ah, but you're taking "sound" to be the unit involved here! Sound is a byproduct of the transferred energy. That which creates the "sound" is still traveling through the air. So, by saying that there is no "sound", then you're also saying (taking syllogism into account) that that which creates the "sound" is also not there. Thus, you contradict yourself.
    Sound 1 (sound)n.1. a. Vibrations transmitted through an elastic solid or a liquid or gas, with frequencies in the approximate range of 20 to 20,000 hertz, capable of being detected by human organs of hearing.
    b. Transmitted vibrations of any frequency.
    c. The sensation stimulated in the organs of hearing by such vibrations in the air or other medium.
    d. Such sensations considered as a group.

Nope, I never said that the thing which created the sound never existed. I merely stated that there was nothing to perceive the sound to make it become classified as sound. In fact, I also said that
    it's just kinetic energy vibrating particles
    which means that the kinetic energy is still present and just was transferred elsewhere. Unless I'm missing something from the fact that you used the word syllogism that I have only heard of today. In which case, do explain.

With your point, if we're looking at this from the poor tree's point of view, because you, the receiver, are not present to interpret the sound, then you do not exist. ;)
    Exactly. I do not exist from the trees perspective. But from my perspective, Cogito ergo Sum, I do exist but not in the trees perceptive area(I refrain from using the words personal universe in this context) because it has no awareness over my presence. :D

No, that's called finding out about something. Perceiving it is taking your own interpretation of something. Some who were there may think it was an act of god, those who read about it may consider it a hoax, those who saw the aftermath may have thought a group of Yankees fans went through the area after being beaten by the Phillies. That, my friend, is perception. None of those alter the scientific fact behind what actually happened.
    Main Entry: per·ceive
    Pronunciation: \pər-ˈsēv\
    Function: transitive verb
    Inflected Form(s): per·ceived; per·ceiv·ing
    Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French perceivre, from Latin percipere, from per- thoroughly + capere to take — more at heave
    Date: 14th century
    1 a : to attain awareness or understanding of b : to regard as being such <perceived threats> <was perceived as a loser>
    2 : to become aware of through the senses; especially

From the perspective of someone who lives under a rock, there are an infinite number of possibilities(in his area of perception) that could have happened. But to the people who experienced it, it was real enough for them.
    Yeah, and? If you're arguing from the metaphysical standpoint, then, again, please just say to us science folk, "You're right, but I'm thinking about it in a way that omits your field". And we'll say, "Alright, fine, but don't you dare even place your foot inside our door". You know? Trying to argue the scientific standpoint to a scientist is kinda like trying to play chess with Bobby Fischer. You will not win.
    Didn't I just say that in passing? I'm actually arguing from two different standpoints at once, though I'm not sure if that's what it sounds like because I've been pretty vague recently.

And I'm quite familiar with Schrodinger's Cat. And let me tell you, in the scientific community, it's generally a novelty. It's an interesting (yet paradoxical) concept with a sadistic method. Everything a physicist needs to do his work happily. haha. It deals with probability and uncertainty, and is highly metaphorical (and highly theoretical). For example, there may be someone outside your door right now. But you don't know; so, based on this (that is, the Copenhagen interpretation), there is both someone outside your door, and no one outside your door. That's what they mean by superposition of the states, and its highly relative in larger scale models, as there are an infinite number of things that could (or could not) be outside your door.
    Same thing. There are an infinite number of possibilities that might happen before anything is actually perceived. This one, I think is a grey-line between meta-physics and actual physics.

Which applies here that the tree may or may not make a sound. Also, I did imply that the theory might not apply her at all. I admit that.

Years
    *ignores tl;dr thread*

If you take the question literally, I'm going with the "sound isn't sound unless there's something to hear it" option. Sound waves caused by the tree falling aren't technically "making a sound" unless there's something to hear them. They're just vibrations.

From the philosophical standpoint... I don't care. The tree doesn't affect me, so why should I give a damn whether or not it falls, or if it makes a sound when doing so? I have better things to worry about.

Years
    Sound is a travelling wave, so it would still exist, even if nobody was there to hear it. Whether something is even there if there is nobody there to witness it is more philosophical than scientific - I can't remember who it is, I think it was Berkley, who said that nothing exists unless somebody is witnessing it. I'm probably wrong about which philosopher said it though, I dropped philosophy a few months ago.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Sound is a travelling wave, so it would still exist, even if nobody was there to hear it. Whether something is even there if there is nobody there to witness it is more philosophical than scientific - I can't remember who it is, I think it was Berkley, who said that nothing exists unless somebody is witnessing it. I'm probably wrong about which philosopher said it though, I dropped philosophy a few months ago.
    I've said this before. Sound is traveling kinetic energy that hits the eardrum. Without the eardrum to be vibrated, there is no sound and it's just kinetic energy.

On a philosophical standpoint, Berkeley did lay the foundation for Immaterialism. XD

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
    I'd have to go with the "it does make a sound" side. The vibrations it causes are sound, heard or not.
    The real question is "If a fat chick falls in the forest and nobody is around, do the trees laugh?"

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Can something exist without being perceived?
    Yes, it can. Our perception has nothing to do with its physical existence.

Can we assume the unobserved world functions the same as the observed world?
    To a great extent, we can be sure that the unobserved world functions the same.
    The laws of physics has been seen to remain constant, and they don't seem to bend the rules they follow.
    A camera or other capturing devices don't count as our direct perception, so they can prove it again.
    But it can also be argued against to a small extent. Some things in physics might function differently to other animals than how it does to us.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Not believing in metaphysics just defending it because it's interesting...

Yes, it can. Our perception has nothing to do with its physical existence.
    Actually, that was the most straightforward answer aimed at the metaphysics part of the question that I'm at a loss for words. :O

To a great extent, we can be sure that the unobserved world functions the same.
    The laws of physics has been seen to remain constant, and they don't seem to bend the rules they follow.
    A camera or other capturing devices don't count as our direct perception, so they can prove it again.
    But it can also be argued against to a small extent. Some things in physics might function differently to other animals than how it does to us.
    Viewing a camera(afterwards) counts as perception because technically we perceived something that was recorded. Before we viewed the contents of the camera however, there are an infinite number of possibilities that might have been recorded by the camera such as the tree miraculously floating upwards(example). Therefore, it raises the question, what happened before it was perceived? Did it exist?

Actually, now I'm getting a headache from arguing these things. XD XD XD
    I'd rather not argue anymore and leave this thread to everyone's opinion. XD

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    I though you were a Chemist? Although physics and chemistry are related, chemistry doesn't have much to do with metaphysics from a laymens standpoint.

I am a Chemist. That makes me a scientist. I argue with scientific evidence and logic. Your argument is metaphysics, but yet you speak as a scientist would, just ignoring the logic. You can not bring science into this debate and then, seemingly out of the blue, say, "And now there's nothing there to hear it, so it doesn't make a sound." Coming from a scientist, this debate is, to put it bluntly, absurd.

Sound 1 (sound)n.1. a. Vibrations transmitted through an elastic solid or a liquid or gas, with frequencies in the approximate range of 20 to 20,000 hertz, capable of being detected by human organs of hearing.
    b. Transmitted vibrations of any frequency.
    c. The sensation stimulated in the organs of hearing by such vibrations in the air or other medium.
    d. Such sensations considered as a group.

Nope, I never said that the thing which created the sound never existed. I merely stated that there was nothing to perceive the sound to make it become classified as sound. In fact, I also said that
    which means that the kinetic energy is still present and just was transferred elsewhere. Unless I'm missing something from the fact that you used the word syllogism that I have only heard of today. In which case, do explain.

This has really just given me the upper hand. Pay close attention to that which is bolded. It's not about the tree making a sound or not, it's about something being able to hear it or not. As I've said before, and you even agree with, the vibrations are still there. Perhaps its not enough to say that the vibration causes the sound. In fact, the vibration is the sound.

And syllogism is a form of logic that many people don't take too seriously. You may have seen it on the SATs; it goes like:

If [A = B], and [B = C], then [A = C] always.

It works for the social sciences, but for us dealing with the physical sciences, it holds no real credence.

Exactly. I do not exist from the trees perspective. But from my perspective, Cogito ergo Sum, I do exist but not in the trees perceptive area(I refrain from using the words personal universe in this context) because it has no awareness over my presence. :D

Ah, but the question arises: can the tree perceive? If not, then you don't exist in general. :-P haha. Remember that old law of science, that I'm sure was drilled into your head back in high school chemistry? It goes like this: matter can not be created or destroyed, only converted. Now, don't go into the idea of anti-matter, or Einstein's E = mc^2 (mass being converted into energy), otherwise we're in a whole new boat of physics that can really only be shown through higher calculus.

Main Entry: per·ceive
    Pronunciation: \pər-ˈsēv\
    Function: transitive verb
    Inflected Form(s): per·ceived; per·ceiv·ing
    Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French perceivre, from Latin percipere, from per- thoroughly + capere to take — more at heave
    Date: 14th century
    1 a : to attain awareness or understanding of b : to regard as being such <perceived threats> <was perceived as a loser>
    2 : to become aware of through the senses; especially

From the perspective of someone who lives under a rock, there are an infinite number of possibilities(in his area of perception) that could have happened. But to the people who experienced it, it was real enough for them.

As far as the definition of perception goes, I rest my case. And again, I ask: just because someone doesn't know about a measurable, and I stress measurable thing, that it doesn't exist? Again, you're breaking the rules of science.

Didn't I just say that in passing? I'm actually arguing from two different standpoints at once, though I'm not sure if that's what it sounds like because I've been pretty vague recently.

And as I said above, it's impossible to combine the two under these circumstances. If you want to combine them, stick with cosmology. Because in cosmology, things are very hard to measure. I keep stressing that word, because we can measure the vibration a tree creates when it falls. If we can measure it, it exists. It's as simple as that.

Same thing. There are an infinite number of possibilities that might happen before anything is actually perceived. This one, I think is a grey-line between meta-physics and actual physics.

Which applies here that the tree may or may not make a sound. Also, I did imply that the theory might not apply her at all. I admit that.

Yeah, but Copenhagen was a douche. 'Nuff said.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Humans have a high enough mental capacity to understand they exist and therefore, have a sense of self, unlike ants.

Things can exist without being perceived. How do you know you are breathing in oxygen? The gas is odourless, colourless and invisible. The human body sensors detect the concentration of carbon dioxide, not oxygen.

If things can't exist without being perceived, then we don't have brains. We can't see/feel/touch/hear our own brains, the brains can't feel pain or any other stimuli, so what's the proof we have brains? Just because everyone else has a brain you can't assume you have one if things can't exist without being perceived. If someone hates human to the point of not believing anything humans say, he wouldn't have a brain at all if he thinks that things can't exist without being perceived.

Last edited:

Wyld_stallyon

Don't call me Wyld.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2009
    It made a series of waves in the air. If you call these waves sound, it made a sound, if not, it didn't make a sound.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Yes. When it hits the ground, it causes vibrations making soundwaves. Just because no one is around to hear it doesn't mean anything.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    A tree cannot notice when someone is or is not there for it to be heard when it falls. It can't decide when to fall and how to fall. Therefore, just because no one is around does not mean that it hasn't made a sound.

None of us were able to watch as the continents derived from each other to form the seven that there are today. No one can live long enough to watch that and still be alive. But it happened. There is enough proof to say that it did.

You don't have to be there so that something happens. Things happen regardless of human presence.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    The question, as I'm sure some of you have heard at least once in your life is
    "If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

It looks like a simple question though it carries a deeper meaning. "Can something exist without being perceived?" or "Can we assume the unobserved world functions the same as the observed world?"This is akin to the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment if it's easier for you to comprehend it that way.
    If the idea that things do not exist when nothing is around to perceive them be correct, then there would be no tree, thus no falling, let alone a sound; nothing at all would exist or happen in this forest. The notion is evidently flawed and there is no need to discuss further than this as I see a number of people have done.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    My view is a very scientific one...

Firstly, sound is simply the vibration of molecules that is transferred continuously. If a tree falls on the forest it vibrates the ground, but is no one REALLY around to hear it?

Energy is never created nor destroyed, only transfered and transformed. Sound is an energy that goes spherically, or transfers all around the source. Which means whether you are in front, behind, or anywhere from the sound source you will always hear it.

And when sound is transferred it is like a rubber band, the more you stretch it, the thinner it gets, thus the farther away you are from a source, the less energy that will reach you and thus it is heard softer.

Here is the biggie, did you know you are actually hearing everything that goes on in the world? When a vibration is made, it will force atoms to continue until they hit another atom to transfer the energy to. The energy is always less and less, but energy is never zero. Thus you can actually pick up vibrations from China or somewhere, except that they are so soft, the human ear is not sensitive enough to send a strong enough signal to the brain about that sound, but literally, you still hear it. Even if you are deaf, you still detect the vibration with your body but the same sensitivity principle applies.

So the reality of energy is that we hear everything that goes on, but the volume always goes as low as possible, never reaching 0. Mathematically and scientifically it is impossible for anyone to not hear the tree fall.

tl;dr? Plants can hear you You can always hear a tree fall.

Back