• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If a tree falls in a forest...

God-of-Halloween

Two sides of a coin
    Years
    Devilishly clever! XD

Wow, you're right. This is one of the things that I wonder about.
    One of my theories is that, if there was no spiritualistic events happening in the world, the falling tree would make a sound due to the wood cracking and snapping as it topples over, bested by gravity and being off-balance.
    My other theory is that, if there is spiritualistic events going on in the world, that it would make no sound as there would be no one around to hear it.

However, I believe more in the first theory as it is more practical.
    I do believe in spiritualistic stuff, (I'm not religious though), I just believe that the more scientific part would have to come into play as well.

But this is a great question, it's one that not many people can answer confidently.

My view is a very scientific one...

Firstly, sound is simply the vibration of molecules that is transferred continuously. If a tree falls on the forest it vibrates the ground, but is no one REALLY around to hear it?

Energy is never created nor destroyed, only transfered and transformed. Sound is an energy that goes spherically, or transfers all around the source. Which means whether you are in front, behind, or anywhere from the sound source you will always hear it.

And when sound is transferred it is like a rubber band, the more you stretch it, the thinner it gets, thus the farther away you are from a source, the less energy that will reach you and thus it is heard softer.

Here is the biggie, did you know you are actually hearing everything that goes on in the world? When a vibration is made, it will force atoms to continue until they hit another atom to transfer the energy to. The energy is always less and less, but energy is never zero. Thus you can actually pick up vibrations from China or somewhere, except that they are so soft, the human ear is not sensitive enough to send a strong enough signal to the brain about that sound, but literally, you still hear it. Even if you are deaf, you still detect the vibration with your body but the same sensitivity principle applies.

So the reality of energy is that we hear everything that goes on, but the volume always goes as low as possible, never reaching 0. Mathematically and scientifically it is impossible for anyone to not hear the tree fall.

tl;dr? Plants can hear you You can always hear a tree fall.

Where you said that energy is neither created nor destroyed. We learnt that in school, but I can't believe it. If something isn't created somehow, then surely it can't exist because it had no beginning. That's my theory. And if it could, then surely that would mean that millions of scientific facts would be wrong...because some religious people could say that God had no beginning, if you put religion and science together, then would that mean the God is a hugely powerful amount of energy? E.g., the 'Big Bang'.
    NO OFFENSE INTENDED, I'M MERELY STATING THEORIES.

Last edited:

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
    Well, does it make a sound?

It depends on the definition of "sound." Most definitions of sound refer to the way a biological being "hears" things. In that aspect, no, it does not make a sound.

If you think of sound as what it really is, vibrations, then yes, it does.

It makes a "sound wave" if you want to get technical. In that sense, it makes a "sound."

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
    If a tree falls in a forest...

Alright.

The tree does not make a sound.

Why?

Sound is entirely a matter of perception. Those "vibrating air particles" you all love to call reference to? They are not sound itself, but a physical phenomena that can invoke the perception of sound.

Without a person their to convert those neutral vibrations into a familiar perception (sound), there will be no sound.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Where you said that energy is neither created nor destroyed. We learnt that in school, but I can't believe it. If something isn't created somehow, then surely it can't exist because it had no beginning. That's my theory. And if it could, then surely that would mean that millions of scientific facts would be wrong...because some religious people could say that God had no beginning, if you put religion and science together, then would that mean the God is a hugely powerful amount of energy? E.g., the 'Big Bang'.
    NO OFFENSE INTENDED, I'M MERELY STATING THEORIES.

I've thought about God's origins a lot, though not recently. The best answer I can come up with is as follows:

We have limited perception. God does not. God transcends time, because God set time in motion. God is constant, by virtue of being above time. Thus, God has no beginning, and no end. There are holes, but I'll do my best to fill them in if anybody presses the issue.
    As for the rest of your observations, There's not to much to say, except that if God is energy, then according to Christianity, the energy is present everywhere, it is the origin of matter, souls, and has a definite will. If you think on this any more, add this to your thoughts. Sorry if I sound like a door-knocker, but if you have any questions, I'll be here. ^^

Now, on with the topic!

Back