• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen If you are given your starter by a professor

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
  • Unless they give out actual Pokeballs with little monsters in them, I think Black and White are fine. :P

I don't think that you can count Lyra as a rival in HG/SS, Red was your actual Rival. Lyra was just a childhood friend, like in the phone. It'd be cool if they could come up with a plot that didn't involve bad guys doing something bad, but that'd require thought that could maybe get too complex for a Pokemon game.

You mean Silver. He's the one who appears and battles you everywhere.

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
  • I am going to kill someone. Same with a generic "Team -name-" having some new power Pokémon (Ruby/Sapphire was cool controlling the weather. Space and time was just a step too far. What next, life and death? Heaven and hell?).

Bayonetta already did Heaven and Hell :P And if the next team does go for either of those dimension... we'll have to assume that the storyboard developers have lost their sanity.

They really need to try a new format. Myself and quite a few people I know just never got into d/p because when we started it, it was like "oh, here we go again.".

Indeed. Wouldn't it be a better idea if instead of getting it from a Professor, you had to catch it yourself? Hell I'd settle for being given it as a present from mum (or better yet a present from the ever elusive father).

Same goes for making a "third" version. They are just pointless. HG/SS proves that you don't need a third version.

Platinum... giving us stuff and fixing stuff we should have gotten in the first two games ¬_¬

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Bayonetta already did Heaven and Hell :P And if the next team does go for either of those dimension... we'll have to assume that the storyboard developers have lost their sanity.

More than likely, based on Reshiram's affinity for nature and Zekrom's affinity for technology, we're going to have a group of super-environmentalists, tree-huggers, and animal rights activists versing industrial architects, corporation owners, and expansionist lumberjacks. Heh.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • More than likely, based on Reshiram's affinity for nature and Zekrom's affinity for technology, we're going to have a group of super-environmentalists, tree-huggers, and animal rights activists versing industrial architects, corporation owners, and expansionist lumberjacks. Heh.
    Haha that reminds me of RSE where we had sea lovers and mountain/land lovers :P

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Neither Rowan nor Birch actually gave you a pokemon, they just let you keep it.

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 20, 2013
    In regards specifically to the starter, it seems that it might be given to you by someone else, considering you seem to be opening a "present."

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    @ Dominus. You raise some good points, although I don't think they should keep a good 70% of the game the same for the sake of tradition. Zelda for example have started to really mix it up in terms of story, such as Twilight Princess.

The "I will kill someone" wasn't being rude to anyone in particular, it's just a figure of speech. I don't actually say to people that I will kill them if they disagree :p

And others haven't been polite, but none have outright decided to try to ridicule me (duh, is generally a term used to ridicule someone).

@ Magmaruby. You have a point with R/S/E, that was actually a nice change of pace.

To those saying Rowan didn't give you a Pokémon, I'm quite sure he does? He has his little speech about giving you a Pokémon then tells you to get one from his bag.

An interesting way to mix it up for example would be to be sent to a forest or something to find someone, and you hear the trainer shout from the forest. You find a bag at the entrance of the forest, and you decide to borrow a Pokémon for your protection. Afterwards you rescue the trainer, and he says those Pokémon were freshly caught, and that you have bonded with tha Pokémon so you should keep it.

Just something different you know?

@ Azure. LOL at the ever elusive father comment. It's so true :s

And someone said we can't really speculate on the story as none has been revealed. That is why this thread is here, because we don't know what the story will be like and I just hope it won't be another clone but with new faces and Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2013
    They need a fresh story idea, like the one in RSE, where they made legendaries more important to the story and added two teams DPPt had much focus on legendaries, but only one team, to make it slightly different, but still kinda boring...

RSE Are best story-wise...

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    I'm not saying I won't get the game/s (Too right I will, the animated battling and all those other features have been a long time coming!). I was just making a somewhat light hearted thread (which some have taken otherwise, because it's not flooded with smileys). I just hope they have boosted their creativity story-wise as well as gameplay wise for hopefully the best Pokémon game yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7YXgVN0JqE&feature=fvw

This guy tells me point really well.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • @ Magmaruby. You have a point with R/S/E, that was actually a nice change of pace.

To those saying Rowan didn't give you a Pokémon, I'm quite sure he does? He has his little speech about giving you a Pokémon then tells you to get one from his bag.

An interesting way to mix it up for example would be to be sent to a forest or something to find someone, and you hear the trainer shout from the forest. You find a bag at the entrance of the forest, and you decide to borrow a Pokémon for your protection. Afterwards you rescue the trainer, and he says those Pokémon were freshly caught, and that you have bonded with tha Pokémon so you should keep it.

Just something different you know?

Birch does give you the Pokemon, but under similar conditions to what you want. You're sent to Route 201 in order to find him because he wasn't in the laboratory when you were to receive your first Pokemon. He shouts and is under attack by Poochyena. His bag is dropped a good distance away from him. He orders you to grab a Pokeball out of the bag and borrow it. Then you use it to fight off the Poochyena in battle. Afterward, he says that since you showed true teamwork, you should keep the Pokemon. It's not much different than what you want, except for the fact that the Professor gave it to you.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    In the one I made up (which I just made up on the spot) the only real similarity was the fact you find a bag with Pokémon in. (This is kind of vital, having an option between three because nobody would want two or less). There was no professor involved, and the little side-quest could have you go through a few wild battles, and the trainer you found could provide a little foreshadowing into a side quest later on in the game. This could be your reason for leaving town, rather than because the professor told you so.

As opposed to "You have to find the professor before you leave town/try to leave town and be interrupted by a professor. Then he will give you a choice of three Pokémon, take you back to the lab and give you the Pokédex and tell you to do one and go get badges"

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    LOL that would just be one big parody game. You have to rescue princess Jynx from evil king Charizard or something o.0

Back