• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen If you are given your starter by a professor

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    They look 16, or at least 15 so they will be around our age. Though if your pokemon really is a gift then I wonder...what for? Other than a b-day present maybe for completing something?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Well I like those secrets in RSE as they were :)
    But don't you think they were a bit too secret? I mean, to find Mirage Island, you had to know about Personality values and wait for the game to pick the value that matched your Pokemon's Personality value. It was completely unknown to the average player, how it was determined that Mirage Island would appear or not.

I actually like Gymnotide's thinking when it comes to quests. So, for example, with the Regis, the player has to go on a quest to find a Summon Item that when brought to a certain place, the Pokemon will appear.

It would be great to see that included. Quests are my favorite parts of RPGs.

But yeah, receiving the starter from the professor is part of the game world's canon. It would just be weird to see that change. Other quests to receive rare items and Pokemon would be nice additions, but for the starter, it's fine because there's not much else to do until you get the starter.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    But don't you think they were a bit too secret? I mean, to find Mirage Island, you had to know about Personality values and wait for the game to pick the value that matched your Pokemon's Personality value. It was completely unknown to the average player, how it was determined that Mirage Island would appear or not.

I actually like Gymnotide's thinking when it comes to quests. So, for example, with the Regis, the player has to go on a quest to find a Summon Item that when brought to a certain place, the Pokemon will appear.

But yeah, receiving the starter from the professor is part of the game world's canon. It would just be weird to see that change. Other quests to receive rare items and Pokemon would be nice additions, but for the starter, it's fine because there's not much else to do until you get the starter.
    That's why I liked them, because they weren't too secret but still involve finding a puzzle,ect :)

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
    They look 16, or at least 15 so they will be around our age. Though if your pokemon really is a gift then I wonder...what for? Other than a b-day present maybe for completing something?

Maybe you got all A's on your report card.
    Or your grandma comes to town.
    Or you found out you're adopted and your mom feels guilty and or wants you out of the house.
    But anyway, yes, it has been stated that this game will be a revolution in the pokemon series. We will see many changes. I would stop fretting. We've seen like 5% of the game so far.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Well, I'm going to be honest here, a Professor is pretty much the only person who's capable of giving out starter Pokémon that are rare - the fire-water-grass triangle we have. The point of the starters are to give you a nice, relatively powerful Pokémon at the beginning that has a good level-up moveset. Seriously, have you tried starting with a non-starter? Their level moves are horrible!

If we don't get those, what do you want to start with, a Zubat?

Last edited:

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
    Well I am comfortable with the same thing myself but a few changes won't harm anyone :).

Let's be honest, if Game Freak had gradually introduced changes to the Pokémon world, such as more innovative stories and multiple branch plots, we probably wouldn't be such a jaded and timid community. These last two generations seem to have a million and one fans rise up in arms (me included, I'm just fussy is all :P) over things being more different than before.

It's a winning formula, yes, which is why it still works so damn well and why I eat the original titles and remakes, up. But there's only so long you can serve vanilla before people want other flavours... and chocolate chips... and sauce... and no more food analogies because they're making me hungry.

The big fuss made about the new direction in Pokémon artwork has torn a rift between Pokémon fans (or so it seems). Maybe the story revamp we've been craving will unite the fans again and stop the bickering :tired:

There is only so many games where I can play a sickly sweet Protagonist and adventure with his sickly sweet friends... even the rivals were a bit on the doo-gooder side the past two gens... which is why I love Silver and his misunderstood-evilness so much. So righ now I'm thinking: "Screw conventions, throw something new at us! We're just about ready for a more mature plot."

I would at least like a little "Quest Log" type item either for the bag or in the menu. How many times have I just completed a major event in a new Pokémon game, saved and gone to bed, then woken up and completely forgot what the heck I was doing and where I had to go...

Last edited:

latios123

I like the sky above all!
    Years
    i hope that the evil team in black and white do something with zekrom/ reshiram( try to burn the regio or something because of reshirams fly /fire type)

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    Apparently we open a present and get the starter of our choosing. I think the blonde girl gives it to us and then we face the black hair dude.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    I really hope so. It would also be nice if the villains were just in general trying to make life bad for other people for their own gain. Stealing Pokémon and using them to get their own way.

team rocket makes a come back yay! lol

Apparently we open a present and get the starter of our choosing. I think the blonde girl gives it to us and then we face the black hair dude.

wat if we face both? that would be so cool XD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 9, 2013

Maybe instead of getting a car they get their first Pokemon?

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    team rocket makes a come back yay! lol

wat if we face both? that would be so cool XD

Im just going off what we saw in a trailer 2 weeks or so ago.

I really like your ideas, but there's something that I'm quite not comfortable with. As soon as you gave an example of like, beating a water-type gym leader with ground/rock types, there's the difficulty of Pokemon as a whole to consider.

Now, I'm not saying the games should be terribly easy. If anything though, if there are quests, they should be sidequests and thus optional. I mean, I can imagine how many four letter words would come out of some people's mouth during these challenges, y'know? You definitely want to make them challenging for the most part, but not mind-shattering. D:

Whiscash, Swampert or Quagsire would make the ground type against water leader challenge easy.

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    I really like your ideas, but there's something that I'm quite not comfortable with. As soon as you gave an example of like, beating a water-type gym leader with ground/rock types, there's the difficulty of Pokemon as a whole to consider.

Now, I'm not saying the games should be terribly easy. If anything though, if there are quests, they should be sidequests and thus optional. I mean, I can imagine how many four letter words would come out of some people's mouth during these challenges, y'know? You definitely want to make them challenging for the most part, but not mind-shattering. D:

Monotype teams are no longer truly monotype. In a monotype team for most types, you can have a team of six different Pokemon and, usually, something like 4-5 different types altogether. Sometimes even 7.

Years
    Im just going off what we saw in a trailer 2 weeks or so ago.

Whiscash, Swampert or Quagsire would make the ground type against water leader challenge easy.
    How would you get a
    Swampert so early in the game...plus I think you would need to migrate it from gen 4 which probably can't be done until after you beat the E4 like in Sinnoh...unless you trade of course but using a swarpert you got in a trade takes the fun out of it...

Years
    Yeah like I said in another thread, we might not even have gyms at all and that's why we are seeing so many characters compared to the last 4 generations...

Back