• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you could learn one language right now, which would it be ?

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
    I speak English and French and take my bilingualism for granted sometimes and it got me thinking of people who love the chance to learn French, that then got me thinking of what other language I would like to learn. I'd really like to learn Spanish because I love the sounds of certain words and I've always dreamed of learning Japanese.

What about you PC ? If you could learn another language, which would it be ?

Years
    This is tough.

I would really like to master Korean.

But as for languages I don't know much about, I'd really like to learn Thai or Japanese. I just think those respective cultures are really interesting, and Thailand and Japan seem like such colorful places. I also really like the way Japanese is set up- the grammar seems really similar to Korean-, and I think Thai sounds fascinating.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Spanish, that way I'd ace Spanish Class.

I'm already bilingual (English/Korean), so other than learning a language for the sake of having it, I don't need one besides Spanish to help with school.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    This doesn't have anything to do with culture and/or media, so I'm gonna move it to OVP.

But, to answer the question, I'd like to instantly learn Spanish. I've always wanted to, but my school never offered it, and I started learning Japanese in uni, letting Spanish fall by the wayside. It's so widespread, and it sounds kinda cool, and it would mean I could talk to Went without having to use Google Translate to sound cool!

Anyhoo, let's move this thing.

Moving on up

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
    Years
    My first choice would have to be Japanese. I never see myself using Spanish, French or German for anything that I'll consistently use/do, so it's mostly just useless knowledge in my case.

I love the Japanese culture, and I hate to miss out because I can't understand something without a translation that may not exist, and it would be a little more difficult just being in the country past the residents who know English.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Ha. It's pretty obvious more than a third of users on here would choose Japanese.

As for me, I'd probably be between French, Japanese and probably Welsh. Welsh? So I don't fail it this year. xD;

Years
    Finnish or Mongolian, but leaning more toward Finnish. I wouldn't be interested in learning it for practical reasons, but because languages are fun to study and learn and something different from what I'm used to would be the most interesting to me.

I'd say Japanese, but I've already learned a lot of that on my own so it would seem a waste to pick it.

Hagumi

For a sick boy
    Years
    I would have to say German. I'm currently studying it at school and while I know a little bit of it, I would love to learn more because I think it sounds lovely (even though I'm not that great at speaking it, haha). And like what Scarf said, I'm not interested in learning it for practical reasons, but I enjoy learning new languages as it's exciting to learn how their grammar differs from English, etc. Unfortunately, I can't find any good online resources for learning German so I can't really learn more on my own while I'm at home.

Other languages I would like to know are Korean and Japanese. I would like to learn lots of languages but German, Korean and Japanese are my top three.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Chinese, that way I'd speak the three most used languages in the world. That certainly would be useful.

Years
    I would definitely choose either Spanish or Mandarin. Both would be useful in keeping me upwardly mobile and would have some practical applications. Having said that, however, both Hmong and Somali would be good, practical languages to learn in my area with the fairly high immigrant populations of both groups here.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Chinese, actually. Being able to speak to the 1/7 of the world population fluently is good enough. I already know good English and some Japanese, so that would be my choice.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    French, German, Spanish, Finnish, Norwegian, Dutch; they'd all be useful and open up a ton of opportunities. I'm terrible at languages though; let's hope magic is invented soon. Not really interested in living/working anywhere outside of Europe atm.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I'd love to master Japanese, I know parts of it, but I'm not really fluent in it.

Years
    If I wanted to be practical, Spanish. We have a few customers at work that don't speak English very well but speak Spanish. My mom was always like "more people are speaking Spanish so you should take it in high school", but I ignored her and took German instead. XD;

If I didn't feel practical... probably Japanese because I like their writing system. 8) And yes, it'd be handy for anime and video games... If not Japanese, then German -- I was learning it for awhile and I miss understanding bits of it!

MuffinPaula

「PONPON!? ??
    Years
    Pretty much every language in the world xDD

I really want to learn Japanese. I LOVE ANIME & MANGA <33. So learning it will help me watch RAW anime..

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
    Years
    Japanese...I need to be able to collect my epic mecha (I'm a collecter, problem?) and need to see at least if I'm picking out the right one or not, especially if there's no pictures of the mecha

Back