• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you had proof that God does not exist, would you publish your findings?

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
Years
  • If no one wants to read this wall of text, the last paragraph is my answer. But if you wish to fully understand where my answer came from and my thought process I'd read all of it. Thanks. :)

Probably not, cause realistically God is not a solid. I can ask everyone in this entire thread to define God for me and I will most likely get a different definition from each person. You can't disprove a religion without disproving all religions.

As humans we are naturally scared of the unknown. We haven't always had advanced Sciences but we developed our thoughts and beliefs at a young age. Religion is our way, as humans, to explain the unexplainable. Isn't it odd that almost all Gods seem to have some sort of human characteristic or feature? Whether it be human appearance or human like emotion. Yet we were not the first species to inhibit this Earth, not by a long shot. The Dinosaur's might have died out but they were a success as a species. 160 million+ years of life is something we can only marvel at and dream to accomplish.

Lets put it this way. Death is something many people fear, and why should they? If you're thinking about your death and have no idea what comes next, you'll be terrified. But if I come to you and tell you of this beautiful place that we all will go to when we die, I bet you're going to be relieved and way more comfortable with your own death.
    This is most probably the basis of religion, since this is a pokemon forum I'll use 5th generation as an example.

Zorua and Zoroark have already been confirmed and released. Say over the next couple weeks we get some more tid bits of information. We learn of a couple more pokemon (2 or 3) and a little bit about the terrain. Then 5th gen is unexpectedly delayed until an unknown date. Over time fan fics star to be written and read. I inadvertently start reading these fan fics about what people think 5th generation will be like, based on the little information we have. After awhile I pick a favourite and pass the story on to other people.
    Now it turns out, there are three main favourite theories (among others) as to what Generation 5 will be. Lets call them Christianity, Islam and Hindu. As time goes on and 5th gen is never released people slowly start to forget that the official plot was never released and begin to believe one of these three. (This is life, cause obviously this wouldn't just happen with a game). Soon, these three are edited slightly, lost in translation or epiphanitized. Call these new side beliefs Judaism and Anglican. Time goes on and soon, people in certain parts of the world get frustrated with people telling a different story, this Judaism. As Christianity is the most populous religion, these Jews have to endure terrible things until soon it's Christianity or death.
    Now fast forward and finally after lifetimes, some more 5th gen details are leaked. Very few based on the mysteries that still lie. But enough to go against some of "facts" portrayed by the other religions. Firm believers slightly edit their beliefs to compensate or simply ignore these findings. Other people stop believing entirally while finally some will create new religions based on old and new info. Now lets call a couple of these new beliefs Mormon and Scientology.

There we go, the evolution of religion. BUT despite what I've just said, I still believe in something. See with all I've just written there still isn't any real true evidence to prove that Gods are real OR unreal. And frankly since Religion is a belief based system, one can just edit their beliefs. Does evolution disprove Religion? Or just prove that God was creative and developed our species? I can't really say either. Also, I refuse to pick a certain belief, cause I will not say that any one religion or belief is wrong. For all I care, the Egyptians, Greeks, Roman, Christians, Muslims, Buhddists. None of them are more right than any other cause a thought can't be wrong. A thought is a thing, it's a noun a thought is.

All of this has been on topic mind you, it's my thought process to get to my answer for this thread. If God is how I've heard him described by most Christians (since this thread unfortunately looks at this religion more than others) he would not care if people believed in him or not. Instead he'd hope people believed in what he stood for. If 200 years from now, two men are having an argument prompting one of these men to quote me, the other man then asks where he heard that. The first man can't remember and states he must have thought of it himself. Sure I didn't get recognition for my words, but I care more that he remembered the words themselves. The fact I said them is irrelevant in this context. If someone "finds" themselves without the help of god but comes to embody a lot of which God stands for than that in my opinion should be enough. And hopefully most Believers recognize that. Which leads me, finally, to my answer.

If I had all the evidence that God did not exist in the world I would neither burn it or publish it. Knowledge is power, and I'd use it to try and change peoples opinion ON Religion and God instead of IN Religion and God. You're simply naive if you do not admit that Religion has brought plenty of both "good" and "bad" things to this world. That's why I would not publish my evidence but instead use it to build a better religious understanding. Hopefully decreasing religious wars without destroying anyone's faith.

Last edited:

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Assuming it was completely indisputable evidence, then yes I would publish. BUT I would do this under a fake name, NEVER appear in person and generally stay totally and completely anonymous. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I would be hunted down and killed in cold blood by extreme believers in all deity based religions.

Assuming again that people accepted this proof (which many wouldn't) I think it would make the world generally a better place. Religious wars would stop, science could would no longer be held back by religious protesters and culture could finally move on from the sky gods we invented to explain the (previously) inexplicable.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • There is no need to publish, as any logical and intelligent person can work out for themselves that there is not a big guy watching our every move and going to welcome us to his cloudy afterlife when we die.

That's where your wrong. God isn't "some big guy on a cloud" as you atheists like to put it.

God could be a tree for all we know. He could be a particle, a black hole, a planet in itself... and yes, he could be a "big guy on a cloud", but it's not like you can physically search the skies and find God. He could be anything! Although it's disrespectful to draw pictures of Gods and His prophets, we can always imagine it.

You can't prove God exists; you can't prove God doesn't exist. I have faith, though, since God (the Judaism-Christian-Muslim God) has brought many good things to Earth, and it's the abuse of individuals and governments that have turned it rotten.

I'm not well-educated on other religions besides my own, that's why I specify the J-C-M God (they're the same God). I'm sure other religions have brought similar morals to their believers, though, unless they're satanists.

I wouldn't publish these findings frankly because I don't want to. The good in religion is what brought around our modern-day laws. It's had a phenominal, positive impact. If God had not said that adultery was a sin, and people had not believed so much in it, adultery would be permitted atm < just an example.

So no, I'd not publish it, because it'd be a stupid idea and such findings don't and never will exist.

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
  • If you had somehow managed to disprove the existance of God, would you publish your findings, or would you allow people to carry on believing?

It's probably been said in this topic before...

...But proof of a negative is not the way to go about things. I don't have to constantly need to prove every aspect of everything at every single moment for someone to believe me or not. However, when I wish for someone to believe a claim I have, I must present evidence.

Anyone who claims to believe in God or gods MUST present evidence for it. Solid, tangible, evidence. If you're making the claim, then the burden of proof is on YOU, not anyone else.

That is like saying, "If you could disprove the Invisibile Pink Unicorn or Flazargar of Rexarri 5, of the 11th dimension, then I'll believe they don't exist."

That's silly, you simply, under good knowledge based on your everyday observations... know that such things don't exist. Nobody needs to prove otherwise.

That's where your wrong. God isn't "some big guy on a cloud" as you atheists like to put it.

God could be a tree for all we know. He could be a particle, a black hole, a planet in itself... and yes, he could be a "big guy on a cloud", but it's not like you can physically search the skies and find God. He could be anything! Although it's disrespectful to draw pictures of Gods and His prophets, we can always imagine it.

Actually, it's described in the Christian bible exactly where God sits, and how heaven is like, and the beings that worship him. Read Revelations sometimes.

You can't prove God exists;

Then why would you even think that he does? If you have no real reason to believe something, why would you believe it?

you can't prove God doesn't exist. I have faith, though, since God (the Judaism-Christian-Muslim God) has brought many good things to Earth,

Wait, he has? I thought you said you couldn't prove he exists. So, how do you know he "brought many good things to Earth?"

and it's the abuse of individuals and governments that have turned it rotten.

I'm not well-educated on other religions besides my own,

Of course, because all those other religions according to you are wrong. Why study up on other religions and beliefs when you only believe your religion is right, true, and correct? Especially when not even reading any of what anyone else has to say. Here's a tip: Those other religions do the same thing. They believe they're right and that you're wrong... and they sometimes don't bother with your religion.

that's why I specify the J-C-M God (they're the same God). I'm sure other religions have brought similar morals to their believers, though, unless they're satanists.

Satanism comes from Christianity, just in case you had forgot. So, other religions bring such morals as "destroy all women and children" and their gods have cursed people with plagues, right? Such lovely morals.

I wouldn't publish these findings frankly because I don't want to. The good in religion is what brought around our modern-day laws.

Very little from religion has brought upon our modern day laws.

It's had a phenominal, positive impact.

Of course. The mass murders were quite fun.

If God had not said that adultery was a sin, and people had not believed so much in it, adultery would be permitted atm < just an example.

Adultery actually takes place in the bible many times... As well as in real life, and in many instances after.

So no, I'd not publish it, because it'd be a stupid idea and such findings don't and never will exist.

You got this part right.

Last edited:

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016

If God had not said that adultery was a sin, and people had not believed so much in it, adultery would be permitted atm < just an example.

Just thought I'd point out that adultery is common and permitted at the moment, because all adultery means is to have sex outside of wedlock. Just thought I'd point that out.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • Satanism comes from Christianity, just in case you had forgot. So, other religions bring such morals as "destroy all women and children" and their gods have cursed people with plagues, right? Such lovely morals.

I hope you're not claiming that satanism brings the "destroy all women and children" morals. I don't agree with satanists, but they aren't all "Worship teh devil and burn all teh chwistianszdxz!!111". If you've ever read the satanic commandments, or whatever they are called, some of them actually state something like: "Harm no animal or child." and "Harm no man, unless they harm you first.".

Also, I like the post about how nobody can possibly know what God really is, yet they call god a "him" and refer to "him" as "he". Why, I must ask you, would God be male? We are talking about the first consciousness in existence, the Grand Architect of the Universe, the Creator of all things....... and that God is supposedly a male? What purpose would there be in being a male when you've created everything??? You're not going to be reproducing anytime soon, I wouldn't think...... so why would the christian bible god be male? Is this just proof of lack of imagination that us humans have? Or proof that there is a design behind the bible to make men look superior, and if you defy this "superior image", you will be punished?

Oh well, I still say believe what you want, as long as it doesn't harm others and you at least try to do good for others. Because if you can do that with whatever your beliefs are, they must be good.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Also, I like the post about how nobody can possibly know what God really is, yet they call god a "him" and refer to "him" as "he". Why, I must ask you, would God be male? We are talking about the first consciousness in existence, the Grand Architect of the Universe, the Creator of all things....... and that God is supposedly a male? What purpose would there be in being a male when you've created everything??? You're not going to be reproducing anytime soon, I wouldn't think...... so why would the christian bible god be male? Is this just proof of lack of imagination that us humans have? Or proof that there is a design behind the bible to make men look superior, and if you defy this "superior image", you will be punished?

Oh well, I still say believe what you want, as long as it doesn't harm others and you at least try to do good for others. Because if you can do that with whatever your beliefs are, they must be good.

I always just assumed it was tradition. God is often described as genderless, but since there exists no gender-neutral pronouns, the writers of the bible had to assign God a gender, and we all know how gender biased the entire world was prior to the last two hundred years or so. XD

I do agree with that second paragraph though. We humans are stubborn animals, and once we reach mental maturity, nothing short of radical epiphanies or near-death experiences will change the way we look at life. Those of us who were raised to have faith in a higher being will continue to keep their faith even if the nonexistence of a God was proven...and vice versa with those who look at life as a random series of coincidences if the existence of God was proven. We will continuously justify our outlook on life until the day we die no matter how much scrutiny we face from it, so the best we can hope for is to understand where the people on the other side are coming from to prevent conflict. :P

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • I hope you're not claiming that satanism brings the "destroy all women and children" morals. I don't agree with satanists, but they aren't all "Worship teh devil and burn all teh chwistianszdxz!!111". If you've ever read the satanic commandments, or whatever they are called, some of them actually state something like: "Harm no animal or child." and "Harm no man, unless they harm you first.".
    Satan said:
    1. Do not give opinion or advice unless you are asked.
    2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
    3. When in another's lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
    4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
    5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
    6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
    7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
    8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
    9. Do not harm little children.
    10. Do not kill non-human animals unless attacked or for your food.
    11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.
    I actually really like some of these... o_o;

SIN1488

Years
  • The best is no. 9, methinks.

I really think God must have a sense of humor, I have for some time, but this really takes the cake. I just had 2 Mormons come to my door, not that long after posting the last reply.

:laugh:

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • The best is no. 9, methinks.
    That one, we can call objectively just. Some of the others might be a little dubious, but really, none of them are bad. Satan also says you may keep your fetishes and guilty pleasures (presumably including sexuality, which is something we always see denied by organised religion), so long as you trust and worship him.
    If you ask me, he seems like a more relaxed, less judgmental version of Iehova, if a little wrathful (which Iehova also is) and maybe more punishing of non-believers (although seriously, people are told under penalty to believe other religions as well, so lol?).
    I actually like 3 and 4 too. I wouldn't follow 4 myself, but I think it's your own choice if you want to visit someone's house, so you should be nice to the person, even if it's a little dusty, or whatever. People clean up and put too many façades on for their guests.

Angela

Aristocracy
    Years
  • Interesting.. Hmm.. Very interesting indeed...

I would have to say yes.. I mean if I had the prove then why not? I mean not like there can be anything proved Until we make a time machine..., but if for some series of events I would stumble upon a prove Or make a time machine.. Mostly to rub it into the face of the stereotypical uber Christian that wants to follow the bible so hard that he forgets the purpose of it.. Treating others with respect, and yet they can act like that towards homosexuals and a lot of other things they claim in against god.. Mostly for that reason..

But yes I would publish my so called findings But keep the time machine to myself, the photographs of it should be able to convince people my findings are legit and non faked....

But there is one thing.. When you say God.. Do you mean like Buddha, Allah and every highest being in all religion? (Would I disprove like all god's, not just the dude named god)

SIN1488

Years
  • Treating others with respect, and yet they can act like that towards homosexuals and a lot of other things they claim in against god.. Mostly for that reason..

But there is one thing.. When you say God.. Do you mean like Buddha, Allah and every highest being in all religion? (Would I disprove like all god's, not just the dude named god)

That's why I don't really have a religion, almost all of them are against such small things that don't affect a person in the kind of way they are thinking. As you were kind of getting at, a person's sexuality has nothing to do with being a good person or not.

And I think the OP meant God as in any god. Personally I believe they are all different forms or interpretations of the same God, but that's just my opinion.

I learned something interesting today though. Hinduists believe that the Creator made the four elements from one which I think was basically called space. They believe that the Creator made these elements in turn, as in one was created from the last. I believe a similar idea myself on how the universe formed, and it can make sense whether you believe in God or not, it all has to do with the 4 states of matter represented by the elements.

Anyway, I'm going way off topic lol. So let me rethink the OP's question. I don't think I would publish the findings myself, but it might not be a bad idea. Think about it, we had all those ideas of mythical gods in the past until we had the knowledge to disprove them. Then we just developed different religions, with a better idea of god. So imagine if all of today's religions were abolished...... What kind of religion(s) would that create?

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    You can't prove God exists; you can't prove God doesn't exist. I have faith, though, since God (the Judaism-Christian-Muslim God) has brought many good things to Earth, and it's the abuse of individuals and governments that have turned it rotten.
    Cool story bro, but I don't think you would be safe around a person who has faith in magical leprechauns that tell them to murder.

I'm not well-educated on other religions besides my own, that's why I specify the J-C-M God (they're the same God). I'm sure other religions have brought similar morals to their believers, though, unless they're satanists.
    That's awfully nice. I'm no Satanist, but maybe you should actually learn about the religion before saying things about it.

I wouldn't publish these findings frankly because I don't want to. The good in religion is what brought around our modern-day laws.
    The key word there is had. The fact(I'm using the term loosely) that religion brought something good doesn't mean it needs to stay. Sharia law is thought to have founded inalienable rights, but that doesn't mean it should stay.

It's had a phenominal, positive impact.
    That's debatable; there are many negative impacts that I can point out.

That's a terrible example:[
    People of all religions still commit adultery, it's just human nature.

Years
  • I'm an atheist, but I wouldn't. Real or not, too many people rely on religion to get them through life, and I wouldn't want to take that away from them regardless of whether I agree with their actions.

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
  • I wouldn't publish it simply because faith in a greater being, whether s/he exists or not, instills a certain conscience in people which they wouldn't be able to obtain otherwise.

Years
  • There is no need to publish, as any logical and intelligent person can work out for themselves that there is not a big guy watching our every move and going to welcome us to his cloudy afterlife when we die.

God doesn't exist. Ok?

You sir, have just dropped several pegs in my eyes.

There are millions of "logical and intellligent" people out there who believe in their religion with all their hearts. You scoffing at their beliefs is insulting.

On Topic: I wouldn't post my information, because proving the Judaism-Christian-Muslim God doesn't exist (Because I am assuming that's the one you're referring to) would require proving another religion's did.

This could cause anarchy, and wouldn't do a drop of good. There are, like some posters have already stated, people who go through life hanging on only their beliefs. This discovery could crush those people.

But really, where would you aquire such information? This question seem slightly ridiculous.

Callandor

ughhh....
    Years
  • It seems that it would basicly end up like this. No one but the athiests would belive you, and you would be hunted by all the religous freaks, that refuse to belive you. So basicly not much would change. And one of my friends is christian (i forget what kind), and i belive in evolution (i don't consider me an atheist), so we kind of have an unspoken agreement that we won't say, out rightly, the others belief is wrong.

And I wouldn't, if you couldn't tell.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • In my opinion, if I had proof that God didn't exist it would be the moral thing to do to tell people about it. I'm sure a lot of agnostics and otherwise skeptical/not super religious people would believe me, so that's probably half the population of the world right there. All the fundamentalists would just say that it's just Satan trying to test their faiths, or something similar, so there's no point in trying to convince them. :/

Back