• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen I'll plant a berry here... and one there... and... [ #27 ]

How do you feel about the lack of berries?

• Total voters
    Years
    I wish they just included the Berry Pot. I don't grow berries often, so that was perfect. But it doesn't really matter that much to me.

Years
    I'm honestly not too bothered tbh. when I think of berries I think of making pokeblocks/poffins for contests, but seen as they're gone now, they're pretty useless, except status curing berries, stat boosting berries or attack weakening berries.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
    i wished they had special plots in unova to grow berries. like in gen 3/4
    that would be nice. even though berries don't do much in this game it's nice to no i have a berry to cure status problems.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    I don't really care tbh. I was a berry head in Platinum trying to get all the flower shop accessories, I only have Watme left. Since they aren't conditions in Unova, I see no reason for berry planting in-game really.

Years
    As with the lack of HMs, it doesn't bother me. Berries are helpful, but so are the numerous other items. On top of that, trainers randomly give you berries, so that always helps.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I wish you didn't need Dream Wold to grow berries at least. Sometimes I mess up while EV'ing, and I need the EV reducing berry to fix it. You can't even make Pokemon hold berries by Poketransfer. Right now, GL is down, so I can't afford to mess up.

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
    Never really cared for berries in ANY game, even the Hoenn games.
    Only grew them for contest accessories.

Would like the EV reduction berries. Tho have yet to do much variety in EV training stuff.

Status cure berries are easy enough to find. Except when I goof and Bug Bite the berries.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    iduncurr

Berries were just a spare way to heal my Pokemon in the other games. I used to just gleefully pick all the berries, leaving bare patches of dirt across other regions. So I don't miss the act of growing them. (Every time I tried to grow berries, I just plain forget about them.) It is nice to still get some berries in the game, but I don't really need them.

Also, didn't Ruby and Sapphire introduce berries to the game? If Black and White are leading up to a remake of R/S/E, then I don't understand why berries aren't in the game.
    Maybe to help advertise the possible remakes?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    It most definitely sucks that not a lot of berries are around in B/W. Unova really needed berry planting spots. I also hate the lack of EV reducing berries because my Samurott gained way too many Attack EVs and not enough Special Attack EVs.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I never really used any berries in prior games so the lack of them doesn't bother me in the least. If anything, I vastly prefer it because I don't have to run past a bunch of berry patches and feel guilty for never planting anything. I'd just forget about it when I planted anyway so there was never any point for me.

Years
    The complete lack of EV reducing berries in the game is a disaster. I already have a broken Zekrom, and I can say with confidence that I'm going to have a broken Reshiram and shiny Emboar by the time I've finished playing through Black, unless I, what, never use my starter?

I don't care so much how you get the berries, as long as you CAN get them. I'd even buy them for 9800 a piece if I had to.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I was bummed over the lack of berries and not being able to plant them. I wish they were still around, I went on berry planting sprees occasionally. There's only so many Rangers to get berries from and I haven't used Dream World yet, so I don't know how that works out.

Years
    The lack of berries in this game really frustrates me. When I EV train I tend to make mistakes so in this game I'm pretty much screwed since there are no berries that can reduce EVs. Hopefully With the dream world they will offer more varieties of berries!!!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I'm disappointed in the lack of them especially seeing how Eastern Unova is suppose to be futile unlike Kanto where most of it was rocky and not good for growing berries.

176StantonStreet

Little Mons†er
    Years
    It's actually kind of ironic. Before the release of BW I was playing through Emerald (out of boredom tbh), and legit got addicted to planting/picking berries. I was so excited to be able to in the new games, BUT NO.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    [CSS-DIv=padding-left:5px;width:900;padding-right:10px]
    Black and White Weekly Poll #27 → Poll IndexPrevious Poll
    I'll plant a berry here... and one there... and... [ #27 ]

How do you feel about the lack of berries in the Unova region?

Although you can get berries in the Dream World to grow - you can't grow berries in the Unova region. However, you are given a berry everyday if you complete the task at village bridge, as well as a berry given to you by each ranger you face. There's probably other ways but I can't think of them right now, but that's not the point! What matters is that there definitely is a lack of berries in the main Unova region.

Would've you liked to have specific places set out to grow berries in the Unova region itself?

[ If you have any poll ideas, feel free to PM Kaori or myself with them. We may not use them the following week after you have suggested them, but we're likely to consider them in the near future. ]

- Black and White Moderation Team.
    [/CSS-DIv]

Ummmmm...is this poll inspired by my brief TCTI complaint/listing for why RS3DS should happen that I wrote earlier, which included Berries...? I saw this thread like a day or two afterwards, IIRC. :]

And it's not like BW brought that much original content to the table, either...Triple Battles and a dynamic camera are like the main things. Not to mention the Scrappy Mechanic of having Berries only able to be grown ONLINE. -_-

If so, I'll be expecting my royalties in my PC Mailbox via the Pelipper Postal Service. Kthxbai! ^^

<---- INSERT ROYALTIES HERE

It's quite annoying, considering it's really hard to find all those useful berries, which say put up one of your stats in a pinch, or blocks a super-effective hit, which completely sucks for me. I want some of those berries for all my Pokemon! :o The worst part about the lack of those berries, is that all your NPC foes in the Subway have them, and you don't have access to them. :(

The Battle Subway foes use them?! OK, this "Berry" issue just got WORSE. Lum Berry has saved me a bunch of times in Emerald's Battle Frontier just as it has saved opponents, and I'd hate to face a slew of Berry-eating opponents, especially with potential monsters like Garchomp and Heatran added in the mix post-Generation 3. >_>

I wish we got Berry Pots like in HG/SS, that was awesome, an oran berry whenever you needed it.

Exactly! Even HGSS managed to put something that primitive (or advanced? PORTABLE BERRIES!) in the game with rural Johto and urban Kanto! Those GS remakes are winning more bonus points for innovation than BW and I haven't even played HeartGold yet!

THERE SHOULD BE BERRIES!1!!!!!1!1111! /rages

It would have been so cool to grow berries according to seasonsss.. Seriously, why would you take it out of the in game right as you add season??? Doesn't sound very logical to me! Yeah I miss berries and I can't plant them without my wifi, and it would have been pretty amazing to grow them with the seasons.

I would have loved to put those veggie gardens in Mistralton to some use D:<

I agree; seasons would complement Berry growth perfectly! They could have faster growth times in springtime and summertime, moderate/average growth periods during Autumn, and abysmal growth intervals in wintertime (because hardly anything grows during that time except Professor junipers and other evergreens).

And it's illogical to require "farmers" to have "Wi-Fi" just to grow crops. It sounds absurd in real life, and it sounds absurd in Unova. You don't just "dream" about growing Berries and expect a harvest in a week! -_-

The inclusion of vegetable gardens in Mistralton makes this glaring omission of Berries a tragic What Could Have Been. >.<

I'm honestly not too bothered tbh. when I think of berries I think of making pokeblocks/poffins for contests, but seen as they're gone now, they're pretty useless, except status curing berries, stat boosting berries or attack weakening berries.

And EV-reducing Berries, in case you, uh, make a mistake... (they happen, OK? Unless you want to go and catch the Pokemon again and start EV-training from scratch). But honestly, I fear for the quality of RS remakes, especially since Berries, Contests, Contest Conditions, Ribbons, Secret Bases, and Feebas' unique evolution method have gotten the shaft in Generation 5 for the most part. :cer_pissed:

The complete lack of EV reducing berries in the game is a disaster. I already have a broken Zekrom, and I can say with confidence that I'm going to have a broken Reshiram and shiny Emboar by the time I've finished playing through Black, unless I, what, never use my starter?

I don't care so much how you get the berries, as long as you CAN get them. I'd even buy them for 9800 a piece if I had to.

$9800 for a Berry? The same as a Vitamin? Well, if you can make money quick in Unova, I'd even prefer that system than the online restriction...

But yeah. I HATE that the Berry Patches and Mulch were removed from the games and restricted their growth to online, which can really screw up players who prefer solitary play and lack reliable Internet access where they live. I mean, I've grown those things at the Berry Master's garden lot since my early Sapphire days. I was so devoted to raising them, I spent many several-minute sessions just watering the things (this was before I learned that they must be watered once per stage >_>).

When I gradually learned about how DPPt introduced the mulch concept AND new Berries, and when HGSS later tried to compensate for the Apricorn overgrowth/Berry Patch loss with the Berry Pot invention, I got excited because it really felt like Pokemon was aging appropriately, building upon unique features of past games. Come BW, and I hear the online restriction, becoming disappointed. I can understand the Dream World having minigames and stuff to bolster the online experience, but can we at least have growable Berries in-game?

Apparently, I've heard that in Unova, you can get one per day via Village Bridge sandwich tasks and by battling Rangers, but this is peanuts compared to prior games. Excluding the Lum and rare Berries (Spelon, Pamtre, event Berries, etc.), with reasonable watering, one could hope to obtain 2-5 Berries on some families within hours. Add to that idea that you can plant more than one Berry in a berry lot, and that number increases to a grand amount. Even in Gen 4, Spelon Berries can yield 15 Berries in under 3 days, something unheard of in Gen 3!

So in conclusion, I would prefer the full-fledged return of Berry Growth IN-GAME and partially dependent on Season, with many Berry Patches available (presumably at the Berry Master's house) in Unova or future regions, not this sandwich-making method crap. I'll reserve total judgment as I haven't played BW yet, but from the way the BW Berry mechanic is sounding, the Generation 3 (and even 4) games seem way better. I'm still holding out hope that Gray Version corrects this, or the RS remakes do.

Lunyka

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    What are you guys even talking about? You can plant berries south of Skyla's Gym, in fact you can plant a butt-ton of them down there.

EDIT: I might as well add that you can really only plant things in the spring and summer, maybe the fall too but not winter so if you want to plant stuff, change the month on your DS and you will be all set.

Last edited:

Ashberto7

★ Celebi ★
    Years
    There isn't that much of a lack of berries, because the games is full of rangers which then if you beat them you get given a berry and some cash as a reward.
    I must admit it would be nice if there were some berry patches in Pinwheel Forest.
    And where do the people in the battle subway get all of the 'useful' berries from, there in the same reigon :o

Back