• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'm so ashamed of myself

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
    If anyone knows why Dialga/Palkia/Giratina/Arceus are called that tell me

Dialga:
    The Dia in its name is derived from the word diamond, even though the Japanese word for diamond is ダイヤモンド daiyamondo. The "ga" part in its name may be a corruption of "gon", referring to its origin and type (dragon). Its name could also be a reference to a sun dial, which is used to tell the time, or a dial found on a clock. However, the Greek root "dia" can be translated to the word through, and one can refer to Dialga as going "through" time.

Palkia:
    The Pal (Paru) in its name is derived from the Japanese word for pearl, パール pāru.

Giratina:
    Giratina's name may be derived from platinum (written as puratina in katakana) and either guillotine, girasol, giraffe or girare (meaning to wander).

Arceus:
    Arceus's name may come from the words arch (highest) and deus, which is Latin and Greek for god. It may also have a root in the Latin word arcanus, which means secret; sacred mystery.
    Arceus's name may also come from the word archaic (ancient), which comes from the Greek arkhaios, and is derived from the ancient Greek word for "beginning", arkhē. It could have also come from the Latin word archetypus (original). Alternatively, Arceus's name can be seen as a portmanteau of Zeus, the most powerful of Greek gods and arch (highest).

Last edited:

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
    Years
    Thanks for the info. I got in an arguement with my friend over if the names meant anything or not. He said they were pointless and stupid but I said that there was logic behind their names...
    I guess I'm right!

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
    I JUST YESTERDAY realized the uno/dos/tres connection in Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres's names.

I'm 18.

I've been collecting and playing Pokemon for ten years.

I was Honor roll through high school.

Wow.

So. You guys ever have any of these STUNNING realizations about Pokemon? Names, appearances, etc.
    Omg o___o
    I've.. never noticed, either. XDDD
    That's kinda embarassing haha. It's kinda interesting eh.

ISa56

-Soul Silver? HECK YES!
    Years
    Ahahahah! I myself thought that Slugma and Corsola were Gen. 3 Pokemon. I also thought some other Pokemon was one of the 2nd Gen Pokemon, but I can't rememember which:\

Years
    I figured the legendary bird trio thing out a couple of years ago. Someone told me, though. Also, much longer ago, when I was six or so, I thought Gloom evolved from Bellsprout.

Some more recent things that I think would be obvious to others:

· Rock is normally effective against rock
    · Girafarig backwards is Girafarig (found out on my own)
    · Dustox is Bug/Poison, not Bug/Flying
    · Sinnoh anime episodes are actually basically repeating previous episodes
    - Pika & Goliath is a repeat of the episode Electric Shock Showdown
    - PokéRinger! Big Decisive Sky Battle!! is a repeat of the episode That's Just Swellow

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Skitty, I'm so smart :D

It's interesting that there is quite a lot more logic behind Pokemon names than what I first thought :O! I already knew about the Ekans-Snake, Arbok-Kobra, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres , Rotom-Motor and some tothers already, however I have learnt quite a lot of new ones. :O Some others are obviously :

Glaceon- The Glace in its name is most likely a sortening of glacier and eon is the ending of all Eevee evolutions.
    Leafeon- Self explanatory ;)
    Blaziken- Blaz obviously meaning blaze and iken being short for chicken. Blaze Chicken- Blaziken.

Back