• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In a Martial Art?

SpeedXaaa

Uses XD too much...
Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 10, 2016
    I'm curious: What Martial Art do you participate in, if any?

Another question: if the MA categorizes skill by belt levels, what belt/degree are you?

I'm a second degree red belt in TKD... I'm testing for my first degree (degrees are of red, at our school, go in reverse order - from third to first) next Thursday, and I'm testing for my frickin' BLACK belt on August 16... *gulps* Oh my gawd, I'm just so nervous....

And if you were wondering why I said "ugh" about Mixed Martial Arts, well... personally, I despise MMA with a fiery passion. It's altered too much. It's not martial arts- just mainly hand and sometimes throwing techniques. All it looks like is pro wrestling/boxing or something - I mean, c'mon, they barely even kick. It just... seems very unprofessional. If you disagree, I really couldn't care less; may as well not bother posting an argument with me, because there's absolutely no way I'll EVER be swayed away from THAT opinion (I may just ignore it anyways, because I'm VERY closed up inside my own shell about this specific topic). I don't care how good your argument is, or if I sound prejudice for the fact that I've never even tried it, or anything else. I hate it with a burning passion, like I said. It's just not Martial Arts (once again, that's from ME. >_>;).

Please don't mind my MMA rant. Not meant to be taken offensively.... ;3

Last edited:

SpeedXaaa

Uses XD too much...
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 10, 2016
    Lulz, same here: yayz, a TKD member! x3
    Really? That's pretty awesome~ :3
    I personally love TKD - well, my class, to be specific. As for me, it sorta depends on the quality of the school, but luckily, I enrolled in an awesome class. =3
    How many tournaments have you participated in, if you can remember (and if your school even participates in them)?
    As goes for me, I think I've exceeded ten (our instructor really encourages and supports us participating). XD I've been to just about every tournament so far... I guess I just have nothing better to do~! xD;
    I didn't do so well in the State Tournament this year, though. *shudders* It sucks when the last public tournament you were in was about half a year ago, and the first one since then is a state-wide one.... Geez, talk about pressure.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • I always wanted to do some martial arts when I was younger, but my parents always responded with the "Maybe sometime later..." that was effectively a "No."

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Not my style. I prefer weaponry. I'm good with a sword, but prepared to get owned with a stick. Yes, a stick. Why? It's an excellent bludgeoning instrument, especially if made of thick wood.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Myself, I do Shoto-Kan karate - have done so since I was six... so I've been doing karate for a bit over 11 years. Huzzah?

I am currently a 3rd-Dan black belt, but I do not intend to go up any more for a good while. I'm more than satisfied with that. XD

I haven't been in a competition for a while... last time I have been I came 2nd in Kata, and 1st in sparring. But I haven't been in as many competitions as you have, SpeedXaaa. =P
    Last week I was actually in a karate presentation thing in a festival before a football match (amusingly, the visiting team was a Japanese one - yep, my city council wanted to as part of the festival show off karate to Japanese football fans XD). 'Twas a synchronised kata with two other people; felt it went rather well.

I know a bit on how to handle some weapons (mainly sai), but generally just rather basic stuff.

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
  • Great to see some people into taekwondo on here.
    I was in it for 5 years, I have my black belt, but I quit last October. I was just too bored of it. I was in many competitions.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • I used to do Kung Fu. I was only Yellow belt (5th Grade), but I was a skilled fighter, often asked to demonstrate to newcomers in a sparring session with the instructor or another learner (him and I were the best sparrers in the group, and I also came in 3rd Place in a regional competition.

Although I've given it up now (although I'm thinking about going back) that 3rd Place trophy takes pride of place on my shelf.

SpeedXaaa

Uses XD too much...
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 10, 2016
    PMV: Most/some martial arts classes do teach weaponry, though. Ours used to teach a Nunchuk class, but stopped. O_o;

bobandbill: ((You can just call me Speed-X if you'd like. It's shorter. XD)) Lolz, I'd probably feel awkward too... I'd feel as if they were looking at me funny and thinking of how I looked terrible to them... or something. Hopefully you get what I mean. xD;

Yukio: Guess TKD is just one of the more popular ones. I actually didn't expect to see so many people, because when I posted this topic on another forum, I got quite a few TKD'ers, there, too. |3

Horizon: Hah, sparring is always fun~ X3 I guess I'm kinda one of the... erm, better sparrers in my class, too, but I won't say much. Dun' like to brag, even though I'm not trying to. ^^;

Penguin13

Mountain Dew, Elixir of Life.
    Years
  • Tae Kwon Do for 5 years I believe. I started when I was 7 and was an Advanced Junior Black Belt (Red belt with a black stripe in the center with all the different belt colors taped on to show that I've mastered the poomse (sp?) for that belt. In that particular program we did that. Not sure if others do that.), and was a few months away from black belt.

SpeedXaaa

Uses XD too much...
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 10, 2016
    Tae Kwon Do for 5 years I believe. I started when I was 7 and was an Advanced Junior Black Belt (Red belt with a black stripe in the center with all the different belt colors taped on to show that I've mastered the poomse (sp?) for that belt. In that particular program we did that. Not sure if others do that.), and was a few months away from black belt.
    I ran into someone at the tournament that was like sorta that, actually. She said that she was a red belt, but "reccommended" by her instructor to be a black belt. Something like that.

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
  • Alright, as far as unarmed styles go, I studed Soo Bahk Do (an obscure predecessor to Tae Kwon Do) for one year, and Hung Gar for 2.5 years (still in progress). I'll be continuing my Hung Gar for a few more years, and then I'll get into Silat.

I'm much more proficient with weapons. In no particular order...

Montmorency: a fencing style from the southern French House of Montmorency. LERN2DODGE.
    Zweihanderapparate: a German anti-calvary longsword. Chop their legs off!
    Okinawan kobudo: literally "peasant fighting", it's a Japanese style that uses farm tools and/or nearby objects as weapons (nunchaku, daggers, bo).
    Toyama Battou-Ryu: A Japanese military style that took the most effective moves from different styles and mashed them together. The motto is "one strike, one kill".
    Xan'xuan Taiji: Chinese straight sword (jian) style. Focuses on flexibility and overall movement over power. The sword's range is a lot longer than you think.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2009
    Lulz, same here: yayz, a TKD member! x3
    Really? That's pretty awesome~ :3
    I personally love TKD - well, my class, to be specific. As for me, it sorta depends on the quality of the school, but luckily, I enrolled in an awesome class. =3
    How many tournaments have you participated in, if you can remember (and if your school even participates in them)?
    As goes for me, I think I've exceeded ten (our instructor really encourages and supports us participating). XD I've been to just about every tournament so far... I guess I just have nothing better to do~! xD;
    I didn't do so well in the State Tournament this year, though. *shudders* It sucks when the last public tournament you were in was about half a year ago, and the first one since then is a state-wide one.... Geez, talk about pressure.

Well, we have to do at least 2 tournaments a year to test, but what stinks is cause i'm getting older i can't go to all of the them cause of age requirements, but i get to judge them. I'm also doing Sambo too (brown belt) and I'm going 2 the state tournament saturday

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I practice Wakinshai (spelling?) style of karate and am a brown belt hoping to get my black next month. Although i personally dont enjoy it and i dont seem to be getting anything out of it. Once i have attained my black belt i hope to move onto something move movement and flexibility based, which i have excelled in so far. I was an active participant in competion however, and have won a number of medals.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • I should have stuck with taekwondo but I epic phailed as a younger kid into it (I took a white belt after school class in 5th grade, and only got that far. XD)

Now I regret it, my friend does karate and he's just like, epic at it. He does weapon (kata) showcases too, which is so sick.

ShadowLeader

because shadows follow...
    Years
  • im into MMA. sry if that makes you angry. it can be pretty much any style though. i specialized in more street/boxing style. basically what you see on tv. i dont do kicks mostly because my legs arent flexable and i lose my balance easy. im really good at grappeling though. i cant compete in the local MMA tournaments because im not 18 but i do fight in an underground league. i got 2nd in the last heavy weight tournament. but i lost the title fight:(...but personally i like MMA more than TKD (which i used to practice) because the fights are bloodier. thats why i got into it.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 10, 2015
    I don't participate in any martial arts but I have a few friends who do Taekwondo. One tripped me :(

Last edited:

Yrie

I'm done here. Ciao~
    Years
  • Well, my school does a short, basic EKP (educational karate program) unit in physical education, but all in all the EKP unit is pretty much crap. Or actually just...really basic, and they do the same thing year after year, to enforce it, I guess. To be honest though, I actually rather like it, seeing as I'm not the most (nor the least) athletic person in the world. I asked my mom about taking a martial art, but she said, "martial arts are for boys," and I was like "?!?!?!?!" >.<

Back