• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Internet Censorship Bill passes in US

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    https://www.techeye.net/internet/senate-passes-combating-online-infringement-and-counterfeits-act

This bill, supported by Major Hollywood studios and other big companies, pretty much lets the Government Insta-Kill any site that sell's or let people download copyrighted material or items by revoking that sites domain name.
    If the site operates from outside the USA, ISP's could be forced by the goverment to block that site to all it's users indefinitely.

What are your thoughts? Bad move? Good move? What do you think will come of it? What will you do if it's implemented?
    (I put it in OC section because I also want to know how it will affect people IRL and business/money-wise)

Last edited:
    Years
    Well from what the article said it's going after foreign companies dabbling around in US copyrights, which is ok I suppose, but It's still internet censorship. I thought we were better than this. The greedy and the rich get greedier and richer.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    -_- now I can't download mah free music. As long as they don't shut down sites that stream anime it's fine by me. I don't really like too much government control on the internet. I mean it's not like they don't already have enough control in our other facets of life not they have to bring the hammer done of this. They where already strict on all the licensing issues concerning stuff on Youtube now this.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Everything. Rapidshare. Probably even megavideo. Heck maybe PC will go down because of the ROM hacking on this place. Who knows?
    Couldn't they just ask PC to remove the content pertaining to ROM's? Because not all the site revolves around ROM's, which means they wouldn't have to shut down the site just get rid of the illegal content.

Years
    I wouldn't panic yet, dont frorget we still have the Fair Usage clause of the US copyright law to fall back on, which I think could be successfully used as a defense in a case like this.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
    Thank God I don't live in the US.

You American people should probably email Obama or something... : O

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I'll be involved in any litigation against this site. It's things like this that motivate me to finish law school.

Thank God I don't live in the US.

You American people should probably email Obama or something... : O

And what would he do about it?

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    ...FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Well, looks like Pirate Bay's being blocked in America.

It's all because of money, too.

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Likely. It takes a court order to get the censorship in question, and I highly doubt that this can happen without a trial or hearing before at least a judge.

Still, I do hate laws like this. Stupid idiot politicians do not understand the internet, and they're granting these money hungry companies ways to censor anything they don't like. I hope that this law is repealed when it is first tried. I curse it to be so.

But here's the thing...Yanking a domain registration isn't gonna stop these guys. Blocking their site won't stop them. Proxies exist for this purpose...when the government oversteps their boundaries. You cannot stop a determined user, no matter how hard you try.

For every case these greedy companies make against downloaders and digital pirates, for every law they get passed against them, they shoot themselves in the foot again and again...because the people who download will refuse to patronize the company for being so insufferably parsimonious, even if they're the kind that would BUY the movie or CD in question if they really like it.

...after all, no one ever does like that crotchety old man who lives on the edge of the village who pinches every penny he has despite being well off. No one likes doing business with someone who would have his best customer clapped in irons because he dared to take a sample before paying!

They only doom themselves by being draconian and greedy.

Silmeria

Years
    They'll never get everything. They can censor and ban as much as they like, but its not going to change very much. If someone can ban it, someone else can find a way around it. The internet is a very big place.

There was talk of this happening in the UK as well, and like most people who can't viably afford the extortionate prices the rich charge for their material, I think its extremely stupid. I know a lot of people use the internet to test things to see if they would like to buy the official release, or will support it anyway. If they just stamp a copyright label on everything and stop people from downloading it, they're just going to lose business and fans. Its only going to annoy people.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Well, aside from proving AGAIN that our government sides with big greedy corporations, it's not going to keep the illegal downloads from happening. The people providing them and the people looking them are just going to have to get a bit more creative and work a little harder to get what they want. And of course, as others have mentioned, it's going to represent these companies in a negative light.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    This bill hasn't become law yet. It just passed committee. It now has to go to a floor vote in the chamber it was introduced in and passed committee in (after being debated in the full chamber), then be considered by committee in the other chamber of Congress, possibly be amended by that chamber, pass the floor vote in the other chamber after debate, the have the original chamber vote on whether or not to approve those amendments and make its own additional amendments, then an agreed upon version has to be voted upon by both chambers, then then finally be signed into law by President Obama.

Here's a useful guide:
    https://www.polisci.ccsu.edu/trieb/Cong-2.html

Zet

Years
    This is just a conspiracy made up by the Government, just so they can kill wikileaks.

But, no, really a lot of sites are going to go *poof*

Back