• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Internet Censorship Bill passes in US

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    My issue with this is that every time I see a thread on PC about something the US government is doing, it's always overstated to the point where everyone overreacts and panics, and then it doesn't end up as badly as you all make it seem.

I wish I could sympathize with you guys, but here in Canada we have the CRTC that sells out to corporations for us, so I really can't. You're likely still better off than we are internet wise. XD

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Thank God I don't live in the US.

As long as our government doesn't get pressured into doing this, then I'm happy. One more thing to add to my list of "Reasons not to move to America".

Seriously, who thought up this idea? I thought the USA was "The Land of The Free".

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    So now I gotta use iTunes again? Well. That's wonderful. Thumbs down to this bill. Way to go, US!

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Best of luck US Government, you'll need it. There's no way this will be justified, nor will the public allow it to be. Consumers could quite easily boycott certain establishments, that way, the rich will cease to gain their riches and their greed will not be appeased.

I wouldn't be worrying about this, there will always be loopholes at any rate.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    [This post has been blocked in your country for offensive content]

change begets change. I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing is next on the agenda, rather than combatting murderers or child abusers.

Massacre.

sky's on fire again
    Years
    If Mediafire is going down, then I'm dead. After all one bit of piracy doesn't mean the the whole site should be going down, it's not a all-out warez site or something like that. That's all I have to say.
    But one thing is, they might be taking down half of the internet if this goes through.

Last edited:

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    The fact that this bill has even been proposed only strengthens my opinion that parents and other people are not taking responsibility for their own actions and that, INDEED, IT'S THE INTERNET'S FAULT.

Whee?

...if this is on the topic of piracy, maybe they should punish hosters like Mediafire and others for not taking administrative action against piracy? They've pretty much done nothing both ways. You don't need to block Mediafire and HEY OBAMA LOOK YOU CAN GET MONEY FOR IT MONEYMONEYMONEY

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    I called Rena for her input on the subject.

But srsly.

Eh, we're technically thieves. All the bloody lot of us.

But... err...

Higurashi is hella expensive.

They pass this, and I expect anime to be showing up at my local library. Freedom of information is a right. Yo.

As much as I try not to overreact against our government...

After many older senators and congressman have demonstrated that they clearly have no freaking idea what they're talking about, we need to fix this problem.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Expansion of the DMCA? Still that's just a committee vote though. I doubt it will even get any hearing of that for a while under the new Congress.

If the GOP majority kills this, that'll tell me that our party is finally returning to its Libertarian roots.

Years
    I think this is bad news no matter how you slice it. You always here about stuff like this, but it's pretty scary when it actually goes through.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Out of curiosity, does this mean that the US government has the jurisdiction to shut down non-american websites? Or just to block them, China style?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Out of curiosity, does this mean that the US government has the jurisdiction to shut down non-american websites? Or just to block them, China style?

They'd block them. They can't shutdown a site hosted in another country.

LowLyric89

Lurkin' in the shadows
    Years
    Figures. All this bad stuff going on and what did the government think was important?
    Teh Internets. *Sigh*

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    this doesn't look so bad right now, but i'm wary of what this could become. the internet is really the last free domain in our world and once the government pries in, innovation may cease and our right to enlightenment could be taken away. maybe i'm being cynical, but the ominous possibilities that could stem from this over time are pretty scary :s

Back