• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Irrational Fears

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
  • Do you suffer from an exaggerated or irrational fear? If so, what of? How do other people react when they learn you have this fear?

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
  • I have a lot of fears, but most of them can be justified.

I'm scared of heights, but it's really a fear of falling.
    I'm scared of wasps but it's just a fear of pain.
    I'm scared of the dark, but it's more a fear of the unknown.

A lot of my fears can be linked in some way to a fear of death or the need for self-preservation.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • I have a few fears. Most seem a bit stupid to me. :p

I'm afraid of the dark.
    I'm afraid of my basement, but only at night.
    I'm afraid of my backyard when it gets dark.
    I'm afraid of heights but walk on cliffs.

Also, while I'm afraid of the dark, I love going into caves. xD

Years
  • Defined bones. Totally completely irrational that kind of comes and goes. Since I was a kid I feared that if you could see the definition, the bone was close to jutting out of your skin. (O_O)

I know they don't, but it still gives me the heeby-jeebies.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • I'm afraid of eyes. I won't touch them. I hyperventilate whenever I see someone touch their own eyes, when someone pulls down the skin below their eye it makes me feel like I'm going to puke. I've had this weird ass fear ever since I dissected a goat's eye in the 8th grade. I remember an employee at a local eye care store tried to teach me how to wear contacts, it took her 3 hours before she gave up lol.

Ultramarine

Turn the tables
    Years
  • I'm scared that strangers will kill me. Call me paranoid, I prefer the word "cautious."
    I'm scared of sharp objects too. I never use anything sharper than a butter knife.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I have an exaggerated fear of fireworks. I have been burned by them before and I'm terrified by the sounds. I have had a panic attack because of fireworks. Unfortunately, they're fairly common at college football games. I'm in marching band, so I end up at a lot of them. We don't use them at home games, but when we travel to away games, those teams or bands sometimes use them and it's absolutely terrible. I don't care who I'm around. I could hate their guts or not know them, but as soon as fireworks go off, I'm going to duck behind them or grab them as a human shield. At our first away game this season, the other band used fireworks during their pre-game show and I actually ducked down and hid by my now boyfriend's side...we didn't know each other THAT well at the time though, so he was probably like "what the helllllll." What was overwhelming when that happened though is that he just let me stay there, and I lost count of how many hands were on my back. It meant a lot to me that my saxophone family was there for me. Before they started, my section leader who was on the other side of my boyfriend was actually going to switch spots with him so that she could be next to me when they started, since she knew I was afraid of them. She didn't switch seats in time, but oh well.

I know it's something I can't help, but it is really embarrassing for me. I feel like people think I'm overreacting or that I'm weird, because fireworks are supposed to be a spectacle and something people like to see. But it's just awful for me, and only a select few people seem to understand and respect that.

Years
  • I don't like some of the weird creatures in nature like spiders and jellyfish. They freak me out even though I know only some are dangerous. Maybe that's not too irrational, but I react more than I'd like to so it's definitely exaggerated.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I have a massive fear of blood, when I think it's not my own. Makes me panic a bit too much. Another fear I have is a fear of moths, it's because of the way they fly and stuff.

Years
  • My girlfriend has a pretty bad case of trypophobia. If you don't know what it is, don't google image it. It's not the prettiest sight in the world... It's basically the fear of small asymmetrical holes, like that of what you'd see on a sponge, certain corals, or even the insides of a pomegranate. I personally don't find anything about this drastic enough to make a fear over, but I guess that's why it's an irrational fear.

Frazzevous

Impulsive lil' kitty
    Years
  • I'm claustrophobic. I guess I don't have to explain that.

I'm afraid of mimes. There's just something about them that I find horribly creepy. Clowns, I can tolerate, but mimes? *shivers* Sometimes I want to cry when I see even just a picture.

Another fear of mine is crossing streets/roads. I make this little panicky sound almost every time I do. And I do it six days each week because of school. So yeah, it's like facing one of my fears, though it doesn't make anything less scary. ;n;

icelovebunnies9

Ghastly Dragon
    Years
  • Well, I am scared of spiders. Which is pretty common for lots of people. I also am afraid of needles. It's not so excessive that I can't go take regular flu shots and what not. I think I just dislike the idea of a needle piercing my body. XD

I am just easily frightened in general. XD

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I'm scared of portraits w/ either expressionless individuals or happy individuals in fear of going into a nightmarish metamorphosis like this one. I'm also afraid of something that pops out of nowhere whenever I open a door, move a shower curtain, or look at the ceiling of an empty room. And then there's the fear of someone turning his/her face into a screamer-like monster appearance out of nowhere (I always anticipate it in every scene where there's a moment of silence followed by a zoom-in close up of a character).

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Yep. I have tons of them. Most people also don't realize how common it is for someone with my disability. I actually have this fear of ovens. Like, it's not fearing them BEING THERE, but it's the fear of them being hot, burning me while I cook... etc. Anything that can be microwaved, I use as an alternative. But you gotta realize that the odds of me getting burned, if I'm careful aren't really that high for me to fear... yet I still do. :/

I also have a fear of thunder. I know it can't hurt me. It's just the overall unpredictability of having a loud BOOM come right out of nowhere.

I'm also afraid of the dark to the point where if I'm in pitch darkness, I'll exaggerate thinking something is going to pop out of nowhere to scare me. My mind plays tricks on me. I actually have to sleep with the TV and my laptop on, and have a light as well... sometimes.

I'm also afraid of horror movies, even trailers. I don't like movies that have gore or extreme suspense when something is going to jump you. :/

Sometimes, I even scare myself with silly things like going into the kitchen, looking out the back sliding doors and thinking something is going to jump the crap out of me. D:

I also have this reverse fear of throwing up. Like, it's fine if I'm throwing up, but if it's someone else... I freak out and start to panic. It's irrational because the way I carry on, it's like the person is going to die. I've never really figured out why it makes me panic so much either.

Yeah, I'm a nervous wreck lol.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I have a fear of injections and surgery-like operations. I get extremely squeamish when I watch people cutting open other people or animals for any reason. My insides would feel like being squeezed and wrung out when I watch videos of it and I have to clamp my hands over my eyes. As for the other, the last time I went for an injection, I was in the clinic for over an hour and in the end came out with wet eyes and stifled sobs without even getting the shot. .____.

And omg my heart nearly stopped when I looked at the image in link in Pinkie-Dawn's post..... ><

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I know it's a very common fear, but it's definitely irrational. I'm terrified of bugs, spiders, anything with more than four legs. Which is silly because they're relatively tiny and harmless. Still makes me flip out when I see one close to me.

Fear of heights is a weird one for me - I'm not scared of being high up as long as I'm not in control of the elevation. I mean, if I'm on a roller coaster or any amusement part ride where I'm suspended high up, I'm fine, but if I have to climb up a ladder or tree or anything by myself, it makes me nervous as hell.

So yeah, pretty standard stuff, I guess.

Years
  • I have a fear of insects that are either large or sting.. including those like horseflies, wasps, bees, hornets, etc.. and I also have a fear of heights when I'm close to the edge.

Years
  • My irrational fear is bees. I even had to go to an apiary for a class field trip, and the guy demonstrated how docile honey bees can be, but I'm still terrified of them. Any time a bee got near me, I froze.

Back