• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is an all-male Elite Four sexist?

Is an all-male Elite Four sexist?

• Yes, there should be a woman to represent strong Trainers.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • No, your friend is overreacting and it isn't that big of a deal.

Votes: 55 78.6%

• Total voters

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
Years
  • sabrina_diamond said:
    I think females can be strong as males, so I'd say yes
    Well, if he was saying that they weren't it would be, but since the only reason there are no females is because the characters are based on him and his friends who are all guys it's not really sexist.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • On the one hand, it's important to strike a balance of characters in any form of media. In order to seem politically correct and unbiased, you need a mix of sex, race, age, etc. in any character roster. But honestly, I hate that kind of thing. When you can tell that a character was only added to fill the female quota or something like that, it really detracts from said character.

I think you'd be safe with the entire E4+champion being male. Honestly, it's fair--the Elite 4 are just that: elite trainers. If they're the best of the best, it doesn't matter what their gender is. It just means they overcame all challenges and have proven themselves to be better trainers than everyone else. To add an arbitrary female to the group--just for the sake of having a woman in there--would detract from the purpose of having an Elite 4, imo.

But since you're just making a game and not the actual Pokemon League hiring trainers, that second argument doesn't really hold as much water. :P You should technically be going for a balanced cast but if you're only adding a female for the sake of adding a female, I wouldn't bother.

$

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2010
    Uh no.

Totally. It's a game meant for children, would a 9 year old child be thinking about an all male elite four as being sexist? I don't think so.

Cebalrai

Your Burmy Buddy!
    Years
  • Of course it's sexist!

It just goes to show the filthy, phallocentric grip society's so called "patriarchs" have on today's youth.

Totally reprehensible!

...Buhuhuhuh, oh you guys, don't be silly, I'm just joshing~

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • while i don't think it's necessarily sexist, i do think it's wise to keep the ratio at 50:50 just to keep down confusion.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
  • The only reason pokemon put girls in it is because of it being a multi-billion making company. And if they got sue'd much money would of been taken.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Only to those trying stupidly hard to find something wrong with the game would believe so. It's not sexist.

If anyone like that does post, they'll get half a page of posts saying "wut".

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    So what do you all think? Is it sexist? Or is my friend overreacting?
    Your friend is overreacting.
    If you wanted to make an all male game, or an all female game just because you like it that way, or you have some other reason that has nothing to do with degrading the other side, then it's fine. But if someone fills it up with one gender just because they don't want to have the other gender in, that is sexist.

If you have a reason which is not degrading the other side, it's fine. Therefore, this is fine.
    People who want to think of this move as sexist can think like that - but they are wrong and are possessed by their own sexist minds, so they can never understand that something like this is not sexist.

Some people are offended by everything. You could very well say that woman only groups *cough*Erika's gym*cough* are sexist as well, since they don't allow men into the groups. It isn't sexist if you just happen to have male best friends.
    Quoted for truth.

Erika's Gym is a place in the actual game I find full of sexist minds, because they don't allow men to join the gym. Now that is sexist.

Years
  • It's just political correctness that's making your friend say that it's sexist. It could be considered that way, but so could Erika's female-only gym. And if you could find somebody who would be offended that the Elite Four in a home-made Pokémon game is all male then I'd be surprised and also confused. It's not offensive, it shouldn't be a problem. On a larger scale like the official Pokémon games - maybe, but definitely not with this.

Back