• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Is anyone still not excited?

NyxShooter

drifting wanderer
    Years
    but I can't help but feeling that this game hasn't brought anything absolutely substantial and revolutionary.

While I completely can see where you are coming from, I cant help but disagree here. Pokemon RSE was a turning point for pokemon. It introduced many new features which haven't been introduced before. It introduced the concept of Secret Bases, moving sprites, refined graphics, new locations, so many new locations. A volcano, a forrest, a dried down forest, a waterfall, underwater caverns, completely new mechanic i.e. dive, a very large total of Pokemon excluding a national dex which surpasses both Johto and Kanto local Dex. RSE also featured the only villainous team who actually achieved their goal, and the members of TEAM AQUA and TEAM MAGMA were all on the same page. Archie and Maxie suceeded in summoning Groudon and/or Kyogore however they realized the errors of their ways. I think gen 3 was revolutionary for its time.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2016
    While I completely can see where you are coming from, I cant help but disagree here. Pokemon RSE was a turning point for pokemon. It introduced many new features which haven't been introduced before. It introduced the concept of Secret Bases, moving sprites, refined graphics, new locations, so many new locations. A volcano, a forrest, a dried down forest, a waterfall, underwater caverns, completely new mechanic i.e. dive, a very large total of Pokemon excluding a national dex which surpasses both Johto and Kanto local Dex. RSE also featured the only villainous team who actually achieved their goal, and the members of TEAM AQUA and TEAM MAGMA were all on the same page. Archie and Maxie suceeded in summoning Groudon and/or Kyogore however they realized the errors of their ways. I think gen 3 was revolutionary for its time.

I think you misunderstood. I meant the new ORAS games. I agree with you that RSE brought all the the things you mentioned above.

Well you could always just not look at what's being released and buy it when it is released, that might help you. But anyways, this is going to be a bit biased but w.e

Hoenn has the best or one of the best plots, I think 90% of fans would agree, so if they expand on this even alittle, it will be good. And it looks like they are. I am excited that I get to relive the best region(which also had the most post game besides like FR/LG which imo had a bad post game. nd hoenn had lots to do.To see it being repolished with more features just makes me extremely happy, every new it of imformation released makes me excited, but only for a bit.

Now, I know we've already played through this, but they are trying to get people who haven't played the originals to play this. I also think these will have a different feel to them then the original r/s because of all the new things being added and the new redesigns. But yeah, don't expect to much. Because if you ser your bar low, and they release things that you would have liked when you set your bar higher, you will be extremely happy. I'm also Wrighting this at 2 am so what do I know xD

I'm glad you mentioned about the "feel" of the game. That reminds me of another thing that is bothering me a bit. This region is suppose to be very tropical and as the first trailer we saw, that little Japanese boy was walking through a forest and into an ancient cave.

When I first played my Ruby version years ago, I remember it being around Summer right after my birthday when I first started playing. I looked up the original release dates and found it was released in November in JP and March for NA. I'm a little bothered by the fact that I will be playing a tropical game right before Christmas. Sorry, just a little pet peeve of mine and plus it sort of ruins that nostalgic sense I had playing the very first time through.

Also, I'm trying to post more to get myself excited. I'm trying to enter the games with an open mind. I'm not trying to hate on Hoenn or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    I'm glad you mentioned about the "feel" of the game. That reminds me of another thing that is bothering me a bit. This region is suppose to be very tropical and as the first trailer we saw, that little Japanese boy was walking through a forest and into an ancient cave.

When I first played my Ruby version years ago, I remember it being around Summer right after my birthday when I first started playing. I looked up the original release dates and found it was released in November in JP and March for NA. I'm a little bothered by the fact that I will be playing a tropical game right before Christmas. Sorry, just a little pet peeve of mine and plus it sort of ruins that nostalgic sense I had playing the very first time through.

Also, I'm trying to post more to get myself excited. I'm trying to enter the games with an open mind. I'm not trying to hate on Hoenn or anything.

Well, since it was released in November in Japan if what you said is right, then it makes sense to release it in November again. Besides winter is cold, playing in a tropical county will make you nice and warm(xD)
    You got to understand, Gamefreak is trying to sell this as q new game, with some nostalgic. So, it's understandable you don't feel as nostalgic. There is also still awhile before the actual releases, so they might release more info that might make you happy. I'm serious, you should try not.looking at what's released, that is what I think ruined x and y for me.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2016
    Well, since it was released in November in Japan if what you said is right, then it makes sense to release it in November again. Besides winter is cold, playing in a tropical county will make you nice and warm(xD)
    You got to understand, Gamefreak is trying to sell this as q new game, with some nostalgic. So, it's understandable you don't feel as nostalgic. There is also still awhile before the actual releases, so they might release more info that might make you happy. I'm serious, you should try not.looking at what's released, that is what I think ruined x and y for me.

I think I stepped on your toes making this thread XD. I'm not trying to bash the games, just saying that there isn't anything to be excited for unless this is your absolute favorite region or was your first Pokemon first game.

Also, I can't not look at information. Actually, that's what made me buy the previous generations. This is especially true for X & Y. I was going to wait until Xmas but I couldn't with all the new stuff going on. I actually considered around gen 4 to opt out of buying more Pokemon games but by watching trailers and seeing new features/pokemon, it got be excited enough to hand over the dough. Not looking at the info released will make me not buy the games at all. Don't say that kind of stuff again because I've gotten pretty close in the past to not buying a Pokemon game and the pre-release stuff got me hooked :p

Years
    I think I stepped on your toes making this thread XD. I'm not trying to bash the games, just saying that there isn't anything to be excited for unless this is your absolute favorite region or was your first Pokemon first game.

Also, I can't not look at information. Actually, that's what made me buy the previous generations. This is especially true for X & Y. I was going to wait until Xmas but I couldn't with all the new stuff going on. I actually considered around gen 4 to opt out of buying more Pokemon games but by watching trailers and seeing new features/pokemon, it got be excited enough to hand over the dough. Not looking at the info released will make me not buy the games at all. Don't say that kind of stuff again because I've gotten pretty close in the past to not buying a Pokemon game and the pre-release stuff got me hooked :p

You didn't step on my toes at all. I was just saying that if you have already played R/S you should put your expectations as just as good as that game, just with better graphics. My experience was ruined with x and y because I practically knew the whole game before I bought it. However, its not the same for these games as Hoenn was my favorite region, then again, I haven't played these remakes yet because they are not released xD
    Also, I was just telling you why Gamefreak is doing what they are doing. Since alot of people stopped playing Pokemon Durning gen 3. Plus there are always new people who will start playing pokemon. So the nostalgic feel might not be as great because of them changing designs and such. Then again, I'm only 16 so what do I know. xD

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I think you misunderstood. I meant the new ORAS games. I agree with you that RSE brought all the the things you mentioned above.

Those who live in the global south will have no issue with that seeing how with the November release it'll be spring for them while it's fall for us in the global north. Actually it's a month before chrismas. I got Emerald in winter so when winter comes it'll be full nostalgia :3

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Hoenn has the best or one of the best plots, I think 90% of fans would agree,.........(which also had the most post game besides like FR/LG which imo had a bad post game. nd hoenn had lots to do.
    I guess I'm in that 10% that doesn't agree, lol. I found Black/White, Black2/White2, and even parts of DPPt's stories to be better than Hoenn's. And was the post-game in Emerald really that good? Because I never played Emerald, only Ruby/Sapphire, and the post-game was pretty lacking in R/S.

Years
    I guess I'm in that 10% that doesn't agree, lol. I found Black/White, Black2/White2, and even parts of DPPt's stories to be better than Hoenn's. And was the post-game in Emerald really that good? Because I never played Emerald, only Ruby/Sapphire, and the post-game was pretty lacking in R/S.

Black and White were okay..... DPPt's stories were about as good as R/S/E imo. By more post game, I just mean the contest, secret bases, and finding the regis. In Emerald that battle frontier was added and that was huge for post game. And you unlocked more of the safari zone iirc.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I can't say I'm very excited about these games. I never really got into the originals, to be honest. Hoenn to me was always that weird place where cities didn't need to be built on proper foundations (i.e., Fortree and Pacifidlog), parents treated their kids like cargo (the moving truck opening sequence, which ALWAYS ticked me off), people could breathe underwater with no problem (Dive), and the local gangs had bizarre and nonsensical ecological goals in mind. Not to mention so much water (yes, I'm going there) that I actually wanted Team Magma to achieve their goals if for no other reason than to make the later part of the game less annoying (not to mention I had an Electrode that was pushing level 70 by Elite Four time, where everyone else was barely over 50.) It was also the beginning of the whole 'the guy who's supposed to be your rival is actually your buddy' thing, which has become an annoying norm in Pokemon games since.

Somehow I don't think any of those things will be changed in the remake, so honestly, I really don't have any compelling reason (admittedly, the new Secret Bases are intriguing) to play these games, since I didn't enjoy the originals.

I don't like May's redesign either, though to be fair, her Emerald look was even worse.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
    Years
    I'm pretty excited I guess. Because of my weird combination of playing... Hoenn has always been one of my favourite regions, as it was the one out when I first got into Pokémon. However, I never played RS. When I first got into Pokémon, I liked the cards and anime, and I didn't start the games until DP. So, I have never had a Hoenn experience in games, and I am greatly looking forward to it!

Years
    I am honestly not very excited about it either and might skip it. Gen III was my least favourite and it does just feel like an easy cash grab for nostalgic Hoenn fans. I am sure the secret bases will be cool anyways.

Years
    Now, I don't want to say i'm not excited, i'm just not as super ecstatic for it as most of the forum seems to be. I'm trying not to be, at least.

But what do I know, I felt this way about XY and I ended up enjoying those a lot. Not to mention my biggest reason why I quote-unquote "dislike" RS, or don't care for them as much as the later games, has to do with mechanics and content in them which leaves RS feeling...outdated to me. Same with GSC, but I like HGSS much more so this may be worthwhile.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I think I'm going back to play White/Black 2 first (I skipped gen 5), so I feel caught up. Things feel so out of place for me, so jumping right back into my favorite (Sapphire) might be too soon. It's a weird feeling that I can't quite describe, but I don't want to get too far ahead, if that makes sense.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't see how any pokémon can could not be excited. I'm excited, and I don't even have a 3DS or planning to buy OR/AS in a foreseeable future, haha. I just love seeing all the new stuff and edits to Hoenn and am glad that they are actually doing what all fans long for - modern remakes. HG/SS was a dream come true, I remember how crazily happy everyone was when Shiny Gold suddenly wasn't far fetched anymore. OR/AS wasn't as unexpected, but still it's nice that they didn't stop the remakes. Now, I wonder what the Sinnoh games will be like in Gen 7... See, I'm still excited ;)

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I don't see how any pokémon can could not be excited. I'm excited, and I don't even have a 3DS or planning to buy OR/AS in a foreseeable future, haha. I just love seeing all the new stuff and edits to Hoenn and am glad that they are actually doing what all fans long for - modern remakes. HG/SS was a dream come true, I remember how crazily happy everyone was when Shiny Gold suddenly wasn't far fetched anymore. OR/AS wasn't as unexpected, but still it's nice that they didn't stop the remakes. Now, I wonder what the Sinnoh games will be like in Gen 7... See, I'm still excited ;)

I'm wondering how the new design of Dawn will be. Because I'm in love with the new May.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm wondering how the new design of Dawn will be. Because I'm in love with the new May.
    Ohohoh gosh, let's not go there! Though I bet there's already a thread in PGC discussing Sinnoh remakes. smh haha

I got less excited when I saw the new May and Brendan actually... in contrast to when I saw the new Kris and Gold (well, she's not called Kris, is she? but still) and thought they were nice upgrades, I got a bit disappointed with these. Still, their designs won't affect me buying or not buying the games much.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Ohohoh gosh, let's not go there! Though I bet there's already a thread in PGC discussing Sinnoh remakes. smh haha

I got less excited when I saw the new May and Brendan actually... in contrast to when I saw the new Kris and Gold (well, she's not called Kris, is she? but still) and thought they were nice upgrades, I got a bit disappointed with these. Still, their designs won't affect me buying or not buying the games much.

I don't know for me it seems the new May has the charm and adorableness of both Serena and Rosa which are 2 designs I liked the most.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't know for me it seems the new May has the charm and adorableness of both Serena and Rosa which are 2 designs I liked the most.
    Sure, but... my favorite incarnation of Hoenn was in the Pokémon Special/Adventures manga and Saph was nowhere near "adorable" or "charming", she was brave, badass and utterly savage :D So for me, an adorable May is wrong. Glad that many seem to like the new her though!

But I digress from the thread's topic, I fear ahaha.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Sure, but... my favorite incarnation of Hoenn was in the Pokémon Special/Adventures manga and Saph was nowhere near "adorable" or "charming", she was brave, badass and utterly savage :D So for me, an adorable May is wrong. Glad that many seem to like the new her though!

But I digress from the thread's topic, I fear ahaha.

Well it's just a look change, maybe she will keep her personality. I saw lot of cute girls and adorable ones in stories that ended up being badass and even psycho killer, so anything can happen.

Back