• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Is it just me or are R/S/E harder than FR/LG?

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    I don't know why, but I have recently replayed both and I am finding Emerald harder than Firered.

When I got to the elite 4 in Emerald, I found my Pokemon were slightly underleveled compared to my Firered party.

Then, when I went to Victory road to train my Pokemon, I found that the Pokemon in Firered gave more EXP or something, and in Emerald it took ages to train in Victory road.

Is it just me?

Squeegee Beckenheim

SB - The Hunk (Since 2005)
    Years
  • No, I think that to be honest that a lot of your thoughts are extremely valid. I have played both games tons of times, and have found that very true. I don't know about the difference in difficulties between Elite 4, but once you beat the Elite 4 in Emerald they don't get stronger like they do in FR/LG.

syphilis

lul spread the love.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    i wouldn't say they're harder.

the elite 4 in R/S/E have lower levels as compared to the elite 4 Fr/Lg, so you don't need higher level pokemon to train on in victory road.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I've noticed that Emerald is harder than Ruby and Sapphire, but I wouldn't know about it being harder than FireRed/LeafGreen, they seem about equal to me.

Years
  • Well, you have an easier way to train for the E4 in FR/LG thanks to the almighty VS Seeker, while in RSE you have to rely on Trainer's Eyes / Match Call.

But IMO the difference in difficulty isn't that noticeable. RSE might be a tiny bit harder, but overall they're about the same difficulty.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2024
    I think Emerald is overall harder than the other advance games. it could be because I know Kanto really well since its basically the same as the GB version with some really nice improvements. and i think its harder than R/S cuz the hero fights both aqua and magma. *shrugs* its probably all in my head :D

Milke

Chill it an' spill it.
    Years
  • Emerald is harder than FR/LG which is harder than R/S. However the FR/LG Elite Four are the hardest, especially on the the second time.

Denzer

Why so serious?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2013
    I think FR/LG are way harder. They seem longer to me.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • The Kanto League in FR/LG are much harder the second time the player faces them. However, I find the Gym Leaders of Emerald to be harder than the ones in Kanto because they are much more stronger the second time one faces them. I don't pay attention to every single trainer and every single advantage and disadvantage of both games, but I would still say that Emerald is harder than Firered and Leafgreen.

crobatdeluxe

You can't be a legend...
    Years
  • Emerald has the longest storyline in the Gen III games, I think. Because R/S only involves one legendary, while neither FR nor LG includes one. Emerald invloves the three weather beasts.

Years
  • ruby, sapphire and emerald are not that hard to train on, you can battle gabby and ty over and over, (although they change between three routes) their pokemon are both level 39 and offer plenty of experience, as well as offering a great place to EV train in Sp att and HP

Isabelle

★ Emo Princess ★
    Years
  • I think for me. It's just the same. I really dind't experience and feel hardness in that games. Just beating the Elite Four ^^.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    The Hoenn games seem harder to me...it just seems like more of a chore to get EXP for your Pokemon...in FRLG my Pokemon leveled up so easily but in RSE it took a long time, for me personally.

Years
  • I dont think there is a difference in difficulty i think since people played the older versions they tend to know more about kanto for the fact that it was a remake and R/S/E were not remakes

Alec_

Years
  • I think Fire-Red and Leaf-Green is much harder than R/S/E. It's because there are many events happened to " Team Rocket ". And leveling Pokemons in FR/LG is much harder for me.

~Fairytales.

Back