• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Is it just me, or did everyone used to name their character "ASH"?

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
    i've never named any of my characters ash ever. i wasn't a fan of the series, and the only character i knew from the anime was "pikachu."
    if i remember correctly, i just chose the name of my character from the prepared list of names.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2013
    My older brother and a few of my friends used Ash.

While the other majority of my friends and me used Red for our characters.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I never named them Ash because I knew that they weren't Ash lol. When I was very little I just named them aaaaa.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Never named one Ash, since I'll always know it's not him D: Plus I'm not very creative so they've always either been called Alex (my name) or Ozzy (my nick-name from friends) :p

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2014
    I know that in Red Version my 5 year old self named the character Ash, but that was the only game where I used that name.

MichaelXD

Banned
    Years
    I use Red for my Red Version, Blue for my Blue Version, and Ash for my Yellow Version because in one of the first gen games, at least someone in it needs to have the name Ash and is far more smarter than the actual Ash on the anime. I can't wait to get all this expensive anime and I'm going to start playing all my games in chronological order from Pokemon Red and Blue to where I am right now. Red is the name I call Ash in Red Version because at the end of Gold and Silver, you face off in a battle against Red who looks like Ash but just calls himself Red even if you can't get Espeon in Red but that's another story. Maybe it's something about owning all 151 of the Pokemon which is what I'm going to be persistent enough to do. There is this glitch on how to get Togepi which could've to my guess been accidentally programmed into the game because it was written in the anime that there was a Togepi but to perform it you need Chansey at top.

I use Gold for my Gold Version, Silver for my Silver Version, and Chris, or Kris for my Crystal Version and Terra or May for my Ruby Version and or Seth or Brendan and Sean or Brendan for my Sapphire Version and on Emerald, I use their real names. Seth can feel familiar because on Pokemon Colosseum, there's an option to name your character Wes, Seth, or Thomas or you can give them a customed name. When you're on Quick Battle for Pokemon XD or Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness, the name changes randomly along with the Pokemon and ID number and the trainer is always on different names. I use Michael for Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness and that's about it. I may start using Ash in Firered and Leafgreen and I never had the game before. Without it, I can't get Gengar because the post game of Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness looks a lot like Firered and Leafgreen taken to the Orre region.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    I noticed, but never really understood why kids didn't want to be themselves.

In Yellow, it's more understandable, since the game was based off the anime.

MichaelXD

Banned
    Years
    Your Pikachu could have a chance of being female if his attack stat isn't 12 when you obtain it at level 5 and Ash's Pikachu is found out to be a male. There's more to it then just naming your character Ash from the anime and having the same Pokemon.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I've always used my real or nickname as the player. As for people calling themselves Ash, I never saw any of my friends or people that just played that I know use "Ash" as their username.

:t354:TG

Years
    Nope, I never called him Ash. I just knew they weren't the same person, so I didn't think Ash'd work. I once went with Satoshi (and Shivering for the Rival) but I'm not sure how I made sense of that, lol.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    I think I named him Ash in Yellow, because it totally fit with Pikachu, Jessie, and James. I never did it again though.

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
    Years
    When I first got into the Pokemon craze in Sapphire I named my character Ash along with Diamond & my second game Blue Version! :D In Yellow version I named my character Yellow.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I think I was called Satoshi in Yellow... which is kind of Ash :p

I was Squitle in Blue (yes, I misspelled it :laugh:)

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I've never really created any other name besides my real name for the Pokémon protagonists, so that would have to be a no for me. It's pretty weird to have the poor guy set with a girl name though...

Back