• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it Racism if there is no malicious intent?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
  • So positive racism is okay, right? If I'm white I can joke about the KKK... but wait, so can black people! That's illogical.

Racism is fucking racism, and there isn't some loophole if you match your socks. Lol

What he means is that if you are black you are allowed to make self-deprecating jokes about blacks because you are laughing about yourself, but if you are white, you aren't allowed to make jokes about, say, asians because now that is racist. In other words: race jokes about yourself = okay; race jokes about others = not okay.

So following your comparison, if you are going to make a KKK joke to show how utterly insane the whites putting on robes are, you are allowed to as a white! But if you are going to make a KKK joke about how dumb the blacks they attack are, then I'm afraid you are crossing the line.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • I think what Nick meant by "positive racism," was as in a white person making fun of white people, or a homosexual making fun of other homosexuals. Hence his whole, "matching socks" statement. If that's not what you meant, well, sorry then.

But I kind of agree with this idea either way. Just because you're black, you shouldn't propagate words that further racism against black people, nor should a gay man call his favorite gay friend "faggot," or the like, to be funny or ironic. I'm guilty of that one... Intention or not, we're still getting those words out there and it's still hurting people. I'm not saying that by discontinuing the use of racist remarks there's ever going to be a time when people aren't going to make hurtful or racist jokes, even if there was little to no harmful intention behind them. I'm not even saying we should stop using certain words, but we should be aware of the power they hold, even when used jokingly, or in this case, even when said by an older gentleman that may not have known any better.

I guess I'm just saying... know the power of the words you're using and the ideas they may represent to others; try to be more self-aware. People can be offended whether you had intention or not; be prepared to either apologize or explain your words. Language is, after all, just a way to express our thoughts to others. It's not a perfect system.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • It's racism in a similar way to, say, not finding people of a certain race as physically attractive as others. It's not really something to get upset over. Unfortunately, people often like to be upset and offended, as it makes them feel special or justified in their hatred of another.

Racism is a buzz word, honestly. It's likely that every single human you meet is racist to some degree, but as long as it doesn't result in them actually treating other human beings inappropriately, it's not something that needs to be worried about. If that fact reveals itself, however, and suddenly something that everyone experiences turns you into the next Hitler.

As long as no one is hurt, physically or emotionally, don't worry about what words can be used to describe an act.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    This is an interesting topic/debate. Regarding Jazzy's situation, his great uncle's intentions were not racist, however, the joke itself is still racist, no matter how harmless it is. The best thing to do is not begin with any similar kinds of joke.

Note: It doesn't mean I'm endorsing any forms of racism, in fact they should be condemn. But since Jazzy's great uncle had no malicious intentions to begin with, he doesn't need to be tormented. Just simply tell the old guy not to do it again.

Adrasteia

[font=Comic Sans][/font]
    Years
  • This is an interesting topic/debate. Regarding Jazzy's situation, his great uncle's intentions were not racist, however, the joke itself is still racist, no matter how harmless it is. The best thing to do is not begin with any similar kinds of joke.

Note: It doesn't mean I'm endorsing any forms of racism, in fact they should be condemn. But since Jazzy's great uncle had no malicious intentions to begin with, he doesn't need to be tormented. Just simply tell the old guy not to do it again.

He wasn't even joking -_- the man was discussing cricket anyway and that was his reply, I probably should have mentioned that, it's was an off hand comment not joke (though he does tell some awful jokes, not racist in any way, just jokes that make you mourn the death of comedy)

Years
  • It's racism in a similar way to, say, not finding people of a certain race as physically attractive as others. It's not really something to get upset over. Unfortunately, people often like to be upset and offended, as it makes them feel special or justified in their hatred of another.

Racism is a buzz word, honestly. It's likely that every single human you meet is racist to some degree, but as long as it doesn't result in them actually treating other human beings inappropriately, it's not something that needs to be worried about. If that fact reveals itself, however, and suddenly something that everyone experiences turns you into the next Hitler.

As long as no one is hurt, physically or emotionally, don't worry about what words can be used to describe an act.

This sums up the majority of my thoughts tbh

Years
  • So positive racism is okay, right? If I'm white I can joke about the KKK... but wait, so can black people! That's illogical.
    I think the idea here is that it's usually accepted that a person can make jokes about their own group (white people joking about white people, black people joking about black people, etc.) but that when a white people jokes about black people it has the power/authority/etc. of a society that favors white people, i.e., it can perpetuate stereotypes or whatnot. When a black person jokes about a white people there is no societal backing. White people don't suffer when black people joke about them because it won't affect them or the positions they hold in society the way it would if it were the other way around. In other words, privilege.

So, really, it's not illogical to expect different behavior from or to have two different standards for two different groups when one group is generally disadvantaged. If/when we can eliminate widespread racism and inequality then it would be wrong to have different standards, but since that's not yet the world we live in we can't really turn a blind eye to the inequalities.

Unfortunately, people often like to be upset and offended, as it makes them feel special or justified in their hatred of another.
    Can someone try to go into this in more detail? I've heard the "some people just like to be offended" thing more than once, but I've never really seen it outside of one or two people on very infrequent occasions. It certainly can't account for the majority, or even a large minority, of people who get upset at racism.

Years
  • Can someone try to go into this in more detail? I've heard the "some people just like to be offended" thing more than once, but I've never really seen it outside of one or two people on very infrequent occasions. It certainly can't account for the majority, or even a large minority, of people who get upset at racism.

Basically there's a lot of social justice warriors out there who don't seem to be happy unless they're making a mountain out of a molehill and turning something harmless into a big issue. I'm inclined to agree with that perspective honestly, I know personal experience isn't the best thing to bring to a debate but I've honestly met more people who get sensitive about black jokes who are white than actual black people.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I think the idea here is that it's usually accepted that a person can make jokes about their own group (white people joking about white people, black people joking about black people, etc.) but that when a white people jokes about black people it has the power/authority/etc. of a society that favors white people, i.e., it can perpetuate stereotypes or whatnot. When a black person jokes about a white people there is no societal backing. White people don't suffer when black people joke about them because it won't affect them or the positions they hold in society the way it would if it were the other way around. In other words, privilege.

So, really, it's not illogical to expect different behavior from or to have two different standards for two different groups when one group is generally disadvantaged. If/when we can eliminate widespread racism and inequality then it would be wrong to have different standards, but since that's not yet the world we live in we can't really turn a blind eye to the inequalities.
    I really don't appreciate the idea that we're in some "position of advantage." I find that to quite frankly be a crock of shit that's far too often used as an excuse to marginalize and exclude us as people. Thanks to all the progress that we've all made against racism it really doesn't hold as much water anymore. We're all human, right? We're people. Am I wrong about that?

The concern for advantage and disadvantage ironically perpetuates the concept of inequality. So instead of creating issues on ground we've already covered, let's instead fix problems that haven't been solved yet as far as fixing society goes, hm? I notice that a lot of folks take racism back a few steps without meaning to by acknowledging more than need be.

Years
  • I really don't appreciate the idea that we're in some "position of advantage." I find that to quite frankly be a crock of muk that's far too often used as an excuse to marginalize and exclude us as people. Thanks to all the progress that we've all made against racism it really doesn't hold as much water anymore. We're all human, right? We're people. Am I wrong about that?

The concern for advantage and disadvantage ironically perpetuates the concept of inequality. So instead of creating issues on ground we've already covered, let's instead fix problems that haven't been solved yet as far as fixing society goes, hm? I notice that a lot of folks take racism back a few steps without meaning to by acknowledging more than need be.
    Well, in America anyway white people do have advantages, or at least non-white people often have disadvantages in all kinds of small and sometimes large ways. Not everyone, not always, but on average there are disparities in quality of life, access to education, how the law treats people, etc. I mean, we know, for instance, because it's been documented that black and brown people get stopped by police more than white people do. So, yeah, we're all people and we should treat everyone the same, but that doesn't happen because there are personal and institutional biases at work. The police who stop more black and brown people are probably thinking that they're treating everyone equal, and they might be, but if they're stopping a disproportionate number of non-white people, even if they treat everyone the same, that's not exactly fair or equal.

But I mean, we both know that the world isn't perfect yet, that there are problems, but like, where do you think we're backtracking and where do you see steps to move forward exactly? Because I don't see the things I'm talking about as backtracking over things that have already been solved because I don't think they've been solved yet.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • To define racism as clearly as possible it is:

Directed hatred or poor treatment towards people based upon their race or the belief that someone's race defines their worth/their traits.

Finding certain races more physically attractive than others isn't /racism/ per se. Your preferences and turn-ons may have been affected through racist culture, but it is the way you treat or think of people of different race that determines how racist you are. "You are Indian therefore you must play Cricket" is racism. It's a relatively harmless assumption to make about someone, but that is using someone's race to define the person's interests. Hiring employees using race as a factor of discriminating between candidates IS racism. Hiring employees based solely on their skills for the job is NOT racism regardless of the outcome. Killing someone in police custody because of their race is a far more sinister form of racism. And it does happen, much as the world would like to turn a blind eye.

On the note of positive racism, such as the reclamation of the n-word:

1 - The offended group has the right to do as they please with the word. They've been affected by it.
    2 - Anyone outside of that group has no right to take any moral high ground about it. If you're not in that group, you can't go telling said group what's right and wrong about that word and whether they're right to use it or not. Stop. It's not about you, and does not involve or affect you.

It is important to challenge racism from people outside of the targeted group. A racist joke should be questioned, a naive assumption about Indians all being Cricketers should be questioned, even if the person is old. "That person is old so they're fine to do what they like" is not going to resolve the problem. It's a form of discrimination which probably leads to further cases of discrimination down the line.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • Well, in America anyway white people do have advantages, or at least non-white people often have disadvantages in all kinds of small and sometimes large ways. Not everyone, not always, but on average there are disparities in quality of life, access to education, how the law treats people, etc. I mean, we know, for instance, because it's been documented that black and brown people get stopped by police more than white people do. So, yeah, we're all people and we should treat everyone the same, but that doesn't happen because there are personal and institutional biases at work. The police who stop more black and brown people are probably thinking that they're treating everyone equal, and they might be, but if they're stopping a disproportionate number of non-white people, even if they treat everyone the same, that's not exactly fair or equal.

But I mean, we both know that the world isn't perfect yet, that there are problems, but like, where do you think we're backtracking and where do you see steps to move forward exactly? Because I don't see the things I'm talking about as backtracking over things that have already been solved because I don't think they've been solved yet.
    Hey, here's some trivia for you: Everyone is a minority in some way or another, and everyone is oppressed at some point or another. Yes, everyone - be it interpersonally, intrapersonally, or whatever. It happens all the time, and it's quite narrow to take a sliver of that oppression and analyze it like an independent problem.

I really don't think a systematic and statistical approach to a problem that is clearly rooted in how people feel is a logical methodology at all. Instead of crunching numbers and running papers and, hey, dividing people further in the abstract, why don't we just be kind to each other? Why don't we be nice, and don't discriminate with that kindness? I think that's where the real change comes from - the change we value, anyway. And if someone is mean to you, or someone oppresses you, don't let them overpower you. That's how oppression is perpetuated - people accept it and you can't do that without sacrificing your emotional sanity. You have to remember that emotion is quite evasive of reason! This is why attacking the issue in its own language is far more effective, and... in my opinion is the real way a lot of our problems with oppression were solved. People erroneously attribute it to something abstract and it's not quite like that.

As far as racism goes, it's just hate. And calling someone advantaged or disadvantaged is more hate, so I make my best effort to avoid it all the same. Compassion is the true answer to problems like that.

Years
  • Um... no. Did anybody actually read the OP? Cricket is BIG in India. That's like going to Canada and saying "oh you people like hockey" (no we LOVE hockey but not me). It's describing what a country, as a whole, finds popular, but that's not exactly offensive nor misleading. I find it a bit of a stretch to interpret that "you X people like/love Y" to mean that "all X people like/love Y", ie a stereotype. I strongly question the judgement that understands "oh you people like cricket" to mean "all Indian people like cricket" (and even then it's a rather non-consequential claim).

Generally speaking, the content of a statement is sufficient to make it racist, but it takes many other factors to determine whether the statement was harmful. People might disagree on whether one incident is considered harmful or not, but I don't think anybody would disagree that certain statements are more harmful than others (for reasons such as content, intent, social context, etc). Making a comment about how a certain sport is popular in a country, however, isn't racist.

Last edited:

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • This reminds me of a friend of mine, actually. It is racist even if you don't mean it to be, however I don't think people should take to it the same as malicious racism at all.

The friend I speak of does have a bit of a sly tongue when it comes to black people, but the thing is he never really means any harm by it, unlike... my uncle, for instance. Since there is good intentions, the right thing to do is politely correct him at an appropriate time (likely in private, try to be tactful), and hope he learns from it like humans should.

That ties into the theme I outlined about being kind to others earlier, I think. When people react negatively to someone who seriously fucks up with something like this, throws them under the bus, perpetuates those massive negative feelings... it does nothing but worsen their condition to do with racism and dents the condition of racism in society as a whole.

In short, be kind to kindness, neutral to malice. If the guy didn't mean anything by it and just messed up, be proactive. Be a champ about it! If he's not trying to offend then he's more than likely willing to lend an ear to a nice voice about why that's not acceptable.

And that's all I have to say about that. I'm out.

Spacy

Visitor from beyond...
    Years
  • Hello.
    I'd like to ask you a question I'm sure a few people have discussed of at least thought about. Is a sentence that comes across and racist, sexist or any other kind of -ist really wrong or deserving of punishment if the person saying it has no malicious intent or is just a little ignorant.

My Great Uncle (the brother of my Grandfather) is the sweetest man you will ever meet (awful jokes aside) he can talk to anyone and have fun doing it, but sometime in his ignorance he will say something stupid. We were at an Indian restaurant and my uncle said 'Oh, you people like cricket.' Though while not a derogatory statement it is generalising a culture by stereo typing them. I can personally guarantee that he had no malicious intent nor did he mean it in a derogatory way. He's just a little ignorant and the server laughed with him so there was no insult taken.
    Now my question. Do you believe in a situation like this you should just let it go as ignorance of a man in his early 60's, should you point it out as not being an okey thing to say or should someone have made a complaint? I'd love to hear your opinions :)

I believe it's still racism, but not as serious as malicious forms of racism. Another thing to keep in mind is how the server felt. If his feelings were hurt then it would be more serious business. Every person feels differently about different things. Besides, if cricket is popular there then it's really not any more offensive then the stereotype of Americans liking football or eating a lot of fast food. It's partly true, but not all Americans like football or eat fast food. Your grandfather was probably just trying to strike up conversation and thought the man might like cricket because of where he was from. If cricket is not popular there then it was just an innocent mistake.

The best thing to do it is not just assume something about someone because of where they are from, and think of how you would feel had the situation been reversed.

Here is an example. Above I mentioned football so I'll use it here. I'm not really interested in sports, but football is very popular here in America. If someone from another country just assumed I liked football because I'm American, I would correct them. But I feel like it's nothing to get offended over, because football is popular here and the odds were good that I might've been interested in it.

Last edited:

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    Okay, I have quite a few things to say here, so please bare with me, but there is a lot that needs to be said that has not been mentioned.

Similar thing goes for "ironic racism", when you make an ironically racist comment you're more making fun of racist people that the race you mentioned. If this is misconstrued as a malicious remark you should definitely apologise and explain the reasoning behind it and you should be a bit weary about hurting peoples' feelings but making those jokes in no way makes a person a racist either unless they're foolish enough to actually believe what they're saying.
    Here's the thing: "ironic" racism is stupid. Don't get me wrong - I used to make racist/sexist/whatever comments and jokes, and figured it was okay because I'm an open-minded liberal and don't really mean that stuff! But we live in a racist culture, and I realized that by saying those jokes I only:
    • Make anyone who might be the "butt" of the joke uncomfortable
    • Continue to propagate really messed-up ideals
    • Make people who are genuinely racist think I am on their side
    • Make myself look like an inconsiderate jerk
    • Give the impression that I don't know what constitutes "humour" or "jokes"
    • Contribute to our racist culture
    So I had to ask myself: "what's the point of telling racist jokes? To make myself look "edgy"? Who benefits and who suffers when I make these jokes?" I didn't have malicious intentions, but I also realized that saying that stuff wasn't cool, and actually made me seem racist and like I did not care about the feelings of those I was "punching down" on.

My point is: those bullet points above? Those are the impressions you give when you make a racist joke, even if you're doing it "ironically." And frankly, I am willing to believe that people will claim their racist joke was ironic to hide the fact that they actually think those things. There is absolutely no benefit to making racist remarks, so why do it?

Perhaps but people should still remember that irony is a thing. If I make a joke about Asians being bad drivers, white people being racist or black people liking chicken, I'm more likely to be taking a shot at the people who believe things like that than perpetuating the stereotype.

We as a society shouldn't condone or encourage racism, but we also need to chill out a little bit and not scream discrimination every time someone makes a bad joke.
    This has been a point of contention in stand-up comedy: if you're going to make a joke about racism or homophobia or rape, then do it in a way so it's obvious that the butt of the joke is supposed to be the person in power and not the victim (of racism/homophobia/rape). If you just make the same kind of sexist joke that a sexist would make, then it makes you sound sexist, not like you're making fun of sexist people, because all you're doing is echoing them.

Honestly, racism just isn't funny right now, and it hurts more people than it helps when it comes from the people in power. If you know it's not actually funny or beneficial, why do it?

Just because you're black, you shouldn't propagate words that further racism against black people, nor should a gay man call his favorite gay friend "faggot," or the like, to be funny or ironic. I'm guilty of that one... Intention or not, we're still getting those words out there and it's still hurting people. I'm not saying that by discontinuing the use of racist remarks there's ever going to be a time when people aren't going to make hurtful or racist jokes, even if there was little to no harmful intention behind them. I'm not even saying we should stop using certain words, but we should be aware of the power they hold, even when used jokingly, or in this case, even when said by an older gentleman that may not have known any better.
    A white person saying the n-word is not the same as a black person saying the n-word. When black people say it, they are reclaiming a word that has been used by white people to degrade and hurt that community. Black people saying does not "propagate" racism - that's just an excuse used by white people so they can give themselves a pass when they want to say racist shit.

But yes, white people shouldn't say the n-word, straight people shouldn't say the f-word and so on because those words have a history of being used to hurt those groups. But people from those groups have the right to use them in order to take the power back and empower themselves.

It's racism in a similar way to, say, not finding people of a certain race as physically attractive as others. It's not really something to get upset over. Unfortunately, people often like to be upset and offended, as it makes them feel special or justified in their hatred of another.

Racism is a buzz word, honestly. It's likely that every single human you meet is racist to some degree, but as long as it doesn't result in them actually treating other human beings inappropriately, it's not something that needs to be worried about.
    While not being physically attracted to some people is not inherently bad ad doesn't make you inherently racist, the reasons that we as a culture find some people more attractive is due to racism. The standards of beauty change depending on the culture and time period, and right now beauty = white and skinny. The majority of models are white and skinny, fashionable looks and hairstyles tend to be "white," and even places like India obsess over skin-bleaching so as to look more white. We consider this to be the standard of beauty and see it constantly, so it's no surprise that the average person is more interested in certain races than others. That doesn't make you a bad person (hell, I'm the same way), but it does mean that we need to critically examine why we're more attracted to some races than others instead of just assuming it's random or coincidental.

I have to say that I agree to some extent about most people (myself included) carrying racial biases, because we live in a racist world. However, we need to own up to the fact that this means we have subconscious biases that affect how we treat people based on race. You can't assume that "eh, we might be racist, but that doesn't affect how we treat people," because it's simply untrue. The only way we can overcome these biases is to be aware of them and make a conscious effort to understand why and overcome it.

I really don't appreciate the idea that we're in some "position of advantage." I find that to quite frankly be a crock of shit that's far too often used as an excuse to marginalize and exclude us as people. Thanks to all the progress that we've all made against racism it really doesn't hold as much water anymore. We're all human, right? We're people. Am I wrong about that?

As others have mentioned, racism, like sexism and homophobia, is still alive and well in today's society, and as a result certain groups face serious institutional discrimination. Black people are more likely to be stopped by cops, more likely to receive longer prison sentences, more likely to be considered "violent," and less likely to get a job or receive a promotion, all because of their skin colour. Looking at the facts, it's impossible to deny that white people are in a more advantageous position than black people.

These are issues that still have not been solved. Also, just because we as non-black people do not perceive a problem to be big or important doesn't mean that it isn't so. Denying these problems is what "takes racism back a few steps."

Hey, here's some trivia for you: Everyone is a minority in some way or another, and everyone is oppressed at some point or another. Yes, everyone - be it interpersonally, intrapersonally, or whatever. It happens all the time, and it's quite narrow to take a sliver of that oppression and analyze it like an independent problem.

I really don't think a systematic and statistical approach to a problem that is clearly rooted in how people feel is a logical methodology at all. Instead of crunching numbers and running papers and, hey, dividing people further in the abstract, why don't we just be kind to each other? Why don't we be nice, and don't discriminate with that kindness? I think that's where the real change comes from - the change we value, anyway. And if someone is mean to you, or someone oppresses you, don't let them overpower you. That's how oppression is perpetuated - people accept it and you can't do that without sacrificing your emotional sanity. You have to remember that emotion is quite evasive of reason! This is why attacking the issue in its own language is far more effective, and... in my opinion is the real way a lot of our problems with oppression were solved. People erroneously attribute it to something abstract and it's not quite like that.

As far as racism goes, it's just hate. And calling someone advantaged or disadvantaged is more hate, so I make my best effort to avoid it all the same. Compassion is the true answer to problems like that.
    Er, to say that everyone is a minority is literally false. Everyone is part of a "group" of some kind (white/black, male/female, middle-class/upper-class), but not every group is treated equally or has a history of being treated equally. This is also why intersectionality is so important - we're all members of multiple groups, and we can be members of multiple minority groups that are persecuted. So it's common for a black woman to be discriminated against because she's both black and a woman, while a white woman will be discriminated against for being a woman, but not for being white. White people do not face racism as black people do.

Racism is not rooted solely in "how people feel." It would be great if racism could be solved simply by "being kind to each other," but that isn't the world we live in, and to think that would solve everything is honestly naive and ignores so much of the systematic and institutionalized oppression that is responsible for racism. If people could prevent themselves from being oppressed by "not letting them overpower you" it would be fantastic, but that is absolutely unrealistic when the oppressors are, for example, the police or the judicial system. If you're going to talk about racism, then please educate yourself about these issues first.

Calling out privilege and disadvantage is not hate - it's telling the truth, and bringing to light something that many of us would happily ignore. I would be a lot more comfortable if I were ignorant about all my privileges, but I have to be aware of my privilege if I want to help people, understand them and create change. You're right that compassion is a part of this.

Um... no. Did anybody actually read the OP? Cricket is BIG in India. That's like going to Canada and saying "oh you people like hockey" (no we LOVE hockey but not me). It's describing what a country, as a whole, finds popular, but that's not exactly offensive nor misleading. I find it a bit of a stretch to interpret that "you X people like/love Y" to mean that "all X people like/love Y", ie a stereotype. I strongly question the judgement that understands "oh you people like cricket" to mean "all Indian people like cricket" (and even then it's a rather non-consequential claim).

Generally speaking, the content of a statement is sufficient to make it racist, but it takes many other factors to determine whether the statement was harmful. People might disagree on whether one incident is considered harmful or not, but I don't think anybody would disagree that certain statements are more harmful than others (for reasons such as content, intent, social context, etc). Making a comment about how a certain sport is popular in a country, however, isn't racist.
    How about instead of saying "you people like hockey," we say "I hear hockey is very popular in Canada"? This phrasing makes it less of an assumption, and we should avoid assuming because it "makes an ass out of you and me!" (And I am a Canadian who actively dislikes hockey, and most of my friends and family have little interest in it. To assume we all like it is silly.)

Seriously, this can be easily avoided by just not making generalizations, period.

~Psychic

Years
  • How about instead of saying "you people like hockey," we say "I hear hockey is very popular in Canada"? This phrasing makes it less of an assumption, and we should avoid assuming because it "makes an ass out of you and me!" (And I am a Canadian who actively dislikes hockey, and most of my friends and family have little interest in it. To assume we all like it is silly.)

Seriously, this can be easily avoided by just not making generalizations, period.

Why should we try to change what people say if it's neither wrong nor hurtful? Jeeez I spent the whole last post demonstrating that such language is NOT a generalization (expressing "all X do Y) but reflects the preferences/norms of a group. I really really don't see how "you (A) people like B" means "every person of culture A likes B", because it's not logically implied at all - a culture is perfectly capable of finding something popular without every single person belonging to that culture finding it well, and we are capable of referring to cultures as wholes instead of simply collections of individuals. When there is a perfectly tame and reasonable explanation, it's really going out of one's way to suggest that a sentence implies something else.

Why are we so insistent on finding harm in just every single racially-themed comment?

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • As others have mentioned, racism, like sexism and homophobia, is still alive and well in today's society, and as a result certain groups face serious institutional discrimination. Black people are more likely to be stopped by cops, more likely to receive longer prison sentences, more likely to be considered "violent," and less likely to get a job or receive a promotion, all because of their skin colour. Looking at the facts, it's impossible to deny that white people are in a more advantageous position than black people.

These are issues that still have not been solved. Also, just because we as non-black people do not perceive a problem to be big or important doesn't mean that it isn't so. Denying these problems is what "takes racism back a few steps."

Er, to say that everyone is a minority is literally false. Everyone is part of a "group" of some kind (white/black, male/female, middle-class/upper-class), but not every group is treated equally or has a history of being treated equally. This is also why intersectionality is so important - we're all members of multiple groups, and we can be members of multiple minority groups that are persecuted. So it's common for a black woman to be discriminated against because she's both black and a woman, while a white woman will be discriminated against for being a woman, but not for being white. White people do not face racism as black people do.

Racism is not rooted solely in "how people feel." It would be great if racism could be solved simply by "being kind to each other," but that isn't the world we live in, and to think that would solve everything is honestly naive and ignores so much of the systematic and institutionalized oppression that is responsible for racism. If people could prevent themselves from being oppressed by "not letting them overpower you" it would be fantastic, but that is absolutely unrealistic when the oppressors are, for example, the police or the judicial system. If you're going to talk about racism, then please educate yourself about these issues first.

Calling out privilege and disadvantage is not hate - it's telling the truth, and bringing to light something that many of us would happily ignore. I would be a lot more comfortable if I were ignorant about all my privileges, but I have to be aware of my privilege if I want to help people, understand them and create change. You're right that compassion is a part of this.

~Psychic
    To define racism as clearly as possible it is:

Directed hatred or poor treatment towards people based upon their race or the belief that someone's race defines their worth/their traits.

All of the divisive judgments you just made against people is inherently racist because it a) is exclusionary and hurts those you do not consider "disadvantaged" through their race (okay?), and b) because nowhere have you made any calls or statements regarding treatment of people by anything besides their race! Where the hell is your paragraph about how everyone is subjugated by racism, or heck, just a split about "content of character"?

tl;dr it's another case of Reverse racism. There isn't a big bad system any more than there are racist people. It's that simple.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • A white person saying the n-word is not the same as a black person saying the n-word. When black people say it, they are reclaiming a word that has been used by white people to degrade and hurt that community. Black people saying does not "propagate" racism - that's just an excuse used by white people so they can give themselves a pass when they want to say racist shit.

But yes, white people shouldn't say the n-word, straight people shouldn't say the f-word and so on because those words have a history of being used to hurt those groups. But people from those groups have the right to use them in order to take the power back and empower themselves.
    I respectfully disagree. Just because you belong to the minority in question here does not give you the right to reclaim the word that had horrible origins. That is why the black community in the United States long since had a funeral for the N-word; they discouraged even their own from using it. I do agree that outside groups' (ie the majority) use of these words hurt more, but I digress. By using the word, you continue to give it power. Semantically, I would agree with you that a word can be reused for other purposes, but when it comes to race and racially-heated words, it's best to just put them to rest. Like my opinion on keeping those convicted of murder off the media, it's best to let them just silently drift out. This is, of course, the ideal. Realistically, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to retire a word. You yourself even stopped using racist jokes ironically because you realized it did nothing but propagate the usage. So too does using it within the community. I used to call my own boyfriend a "fag" out of jest, but I realize now I'm just continuing to breathe life into that word.

That being said, I can see Kanzler's point. Saying a culture does like X, does not necessarily constitute racism, and I guess I somewhat forgot to argue that last time. I, uh, got too excited by the topic at hand. Forgive me... haha. When you think of it in sociological terms, we're looking at the generalization, not the exception. Many people in India DO happen to like Cricket, that's not necessarily a racist statement. He's right, in my honest opinion.

Back