• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Is it time to fully abandon trainer sprites/mugshots?

Keep artwork in game, or switch to fully 3D?

• I want every trainer to have a 3D battle model!

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • I want every trainer to have artwork, stick with tradition!

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • I'm perfectly happy with the current set up of both!

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
  • Roxanne seems to have an overworld and a mugshot, which is awesome! Her model will probably be shown throwing a Poke Ball when the battle starts. Also, the grunts have mugshots, and Archie and Maxie have models themselves but I bet the latter are only for their final battles in that hideout area we saw in the footage from E3! Maybe they'll have regular mugshots and a model throwing a ball in their prior battles... I'm excited to see the other Gym Leaders, Roxanne was perfect ;_;

Years
  • Stupid Question, but what do you guys mean by Mug shots? I assume the 3D models are when you see them throw out the Pokeball and the Mug shot is when it's a picture of the trainer before the batle, right?

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
    Years
  • Your current position is very understandable, but I feel it has more of an impact on you when you see important people with 3d models, than if everyone had one. Besides, I'd much rather Game Freak focus on something more important than designing 3d models for random derp trainers. Just my 2 cents.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I think Gamefreak can and should wait until Gen 7 until they fully transition into 3D. I like the feel of the drawn mugshots more than seeing a rival or PSS trainer's 3D model, at least for the time being.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Stupid Question, but what do you guys mean by Mug shots? I assume the 3D models are when you see them throw out the Pokeball and the Mug shot is when it's a picture of the trainer before the batle, right?

Yes, we're essentially using the term "mug shot" to refer to the 2D art of the trainers shown before battle.

That being said, I'm liking the look of the Youngsters and Lasses in these games!

Years
  • Yes, we're essentially using the term "mug shot" to refer to the 2D art of the trainers shown before battle.

That being said, I'm liking the look of the Youngsters and Lasses in these games!

Thank you for anwsering :D

I'm not the biggest fan of them. But idc if they stay or go

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
    Years
  • Character Portrait vs Model

Now that we seen that both Team Magma and Team Aqua grunts, Roxanne are all character portraits as opposed to character model (Well, Team Flare all had character models in X/Y).

Do you think gamefreak is moving away from character models? Which one do you prefer more? Portrait or Model?

For me I hope that character models returns at some point. I loved it when Trainers (like the gym leaders & E4 in Platinum) would say a few words when they were going to send out their last pokemon, It made battles more realistic for me.

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
  • You know Maxie and Archie have models?

I don't really care tbh, but I wish they would just keep it consistent.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I like how they use Sugimori's art (At least I think it's him) in the game.

What I would find cool is if during those battles, like the Gym Leader battles and such, that like back in the 4th and 5th gen games the NPC would talk to you during the battle. In this case, the character model could appear close to their Pokemon, say a message, and then disappear.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • "Moving away" is a pretty direct term. I think that the game file would be enormous and it would also take even more time to create a model for every single character and then have them appear multiple times in the case of trainers. The game would be even laggier than it was in-battle in XY :P Anyway, it would just be a huge task so they've cut out the middle man and included something that makes the game easier to make/handle as well as something that satisfies us, i.e the models for major characters.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I do wish they had Model Mugshots for the Gym Leaders, I would've loved to have seen the Hoenn League with those. Artwork is decent though, I'm actually really liking Roxannes.

Years
  • I know models would have looked cool for Gym Leaders, Elite Four and such but I think they'll have to try and save on space which explains why them, along with normal trainers (and now also Team Magma/Team Aqua grunts if the latest screenshots are anything to go by) while models were usually only saved for really important characters such as the major villain and the rivals.

I don't mind the Sugimori art, it still looks pretty awesome to me so I don't think it's anything to complain about. But I do agree with Dave (aka Antemortem) that making models for every character in battle would take even more time to work on and could contribute to lag that is even worse than what we had lag-wise in X & Y.

Years
  • Although I would much prefer models, the portraits are pretty nice, plus, as others have said, would take up a loooot of space. That being said, I sort of wish the Gym Leaders and the E4 + Champion (assuming they'll have portraits like XY's E4 + Diantha) would have models as well, as those would be cool to see. And if the Frontier makes a return, I'd like the Frontier Brains to receive models as well, even though I doubt it'll happen.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    As always, with me around, it all comes back to player customization.
    I'd like for them to use 3D models for the trainer battles in the next generation. The more art assets they have the more material they can use for the player customization. I know I want to dress up as a Psychic trainer class.

Don't do anything too fancy animation wise. Make it quick like it is in the games with sprites. Pre-render if you have to. Make it so you can turn them off and we're cool.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I have to agree that they need a quick show with things. Fancy animations and models would basically slow down the speed of the game from what we're used to, so if anything, something short yet effective is in order. That way, I don't really see any harm with portraits as they aren't really all that time consuming.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I have to agree that they need a quick show with things. Fancy animations and models would basically slow down the speed of the game from what we're used to, so if anything, something short yet effective is in order. That way, I don't really see any harm with portraits as they aren't really all that time consuming.

Well in terms of producing them, models in the long run are quicker to make then having to draw or make up portraits. However, I noticed that the movement of some of the models in XY are slow...so it'll be better to have portraits in terms of playing the game.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    However, I noticed that the movement of some of the models in XY are slow...so it'll be better to have portraits in terms of playing the game.

Yeah, more models may continue to add lag, too. While 3DS is an engine for 3D, I think Pokémon models are enough.

I like the idea of having priority battles get models, though. Like maybe the E4 and Champion.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Now that we seen that both Team Magma and Team Aqua grunts, Roxanne are all character portraits as opposed to character model (Well, Team Flare all had character models in X/Y).

Do you think gamefreak is moving away from character models? Which one do you prefer more? Portrait or Model?

For me I hope that character models returns at some point. I loved it when Trainers (like the gym leaders & E4 in Platinum) would say a few words when they were going to send out their last pokemon, It made battles more realistic for me.
    Hey there WildEagle, I just merged your thread in here since it fits nicely with the topic! Have a nice day :]

Back