• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it unreasonable for us to expect Misty to return?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 15, 2012
    Is it?

For those who grew up watching the original pokemon, we remember Misty, and were probably pissed when she left.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Perhaps. Regardless, since this is about the Pokémon anime, it goes in that forum. (This forum is just for the fandom in general.)

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
  • It's been more than 5 *expletive* years. How much life do you think one has if said person devotes that much time to waiting for a fictional character to return on a television show which does not portray real life when you could be interacting with real people in real life?

And I thought doomsdayers were nuts. Okay, I admit that was going too far.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    well it was already confirmed that Misty wasn't coming back...

umm... no offense, but if you were referring to Hidaka's interview, I'd rather take it with a grain of salt for a few reasons:

one. he wasn't that much involved in the show (even less so after season 9.). I mean, he was nothing more than a background designer demoted from his status as a director of the pokemon series.

two, i really wouldn't trust future events to a guy who doesn't even know about Platinum (He practically admitted that he never even knew in platinum.)

three, even IF he was indeed correct, that doesn't mean he can't change his mind (or the writing staff as a whole). If I remember correctly, he did state that when they removed Brock (for paranoia of things similar to the Jynx controversy) from the main cast, he did intend to keep him off, and the only reason he returned him to the main cast is because America didn't care if Brock was a racial stereotype or not, and they liked him anyways.

four, even if he was a writing staff number and not an artistic staff, even the writing staff gets quite a few things wrong. Remember the things they said to 4Kids in regards to Ash's father appearing in season 5? well, that wasn't even close to what happened in season 5, since Ash's dad never appeared at all in that season (and even if he did, they certainly didn't identify him as such.).

I mean, believe what you want to believe, but that interview should be taken with a grain of salt, especially in the hands of asking the background artist (whom barely has any sort of influence on the writing/directing aspect on the show) about plot points in regards to whether Misty should return to the main cast or not in the future.

I'm still fairly certain that Misty might still return to the main cast. Besides, Gary returned to the main show in roughly five years as well. If he could do it, so can Misty.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • It's not unreasonable at all, in my opinion they should of never got rid of Misty

Years
  • Yeah, the new girls can never replace Misty, there seems to be too much happiness going around. If something was wrong, the girls just got depressed. If they DID get angry and fought with Ash it wasnt major, every chick has a bone to pick with him eventually but the thing was the girls never got freakishly angry/scary to people other than Ash really, May got mad at Max but they're siblings.

Also, new voices just are...blegh. Those voice actors (mostly Jessie and Ash) sound exactly the same no matter what emotion they're portraying. That in itself is enough to knock the anime off kilter in the english speaking world.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Urgh. To return to the group? YES. Why would Misty, a random gym leader in Kanto, return when there will be the gen 5 girl to replace Dawn? It's like saying Tracy will return to the group to travel. She'll probably come for a DP cameo, but that's all.

Also, new voices just are...blegh. Those voice actors (mostly Jessie and Ash) sound exactly the same no matter what emotion they're portraying. That in itself is enough to knock the anime off kilter in the english speaking world.

This thread has nothing to do with voices.

two, i really wouldn't trust future events to a guy who doesn't even know about Platinum (He practically admitted that he never even knew in platinum.)

His job is to do with the anime, not the games. Even if he did know (which is possible because future episodes may be based on the Platinum storyline rather than DP) he would not have been allowed to tell.

three, even IF he was indeed correct, that doesn't mean he can't change his mind (or the writing staff as a whole). If I remember correctly, he did state that when they removed Brock (for paranoia of things similar to the Jynx controversy) from the main cast, he did intend to keep him off, and the only reason he returned him to the main cast is because America didn't care if Brock was a racial stereotype or not, and they liked him anyways.

That was to do with racism though, not that they actually wanted him to leave

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Urgh. To return to the group? YES. Why would Misty, a random gym leader in Kanto, return when there will be the gen 5 girl to replace Dawn? It's like saying Tracy will return to the group to travel. She'll probably come for a DP cameo, but that's all.

Yeah, and it would also be as unlikely to happen as Brock returning to the group to tr... Oh... wait...

His job is to do with the anime, not the games. Even if he did know (which is possible because future episodes may be based on the Platinum storyline rather than DP) he would not have been allowed to tell.

If he wasn't allowed to tell, he would have just given the cliche'd "it's confidential" like how our government always seems to act towards being questioned with the development of a new thing, NOT go "What's Platinum". Heck, WPM (the guy who did the interview in the first place, even stated that he saw his facial reaction and he genuinely didn't know (which is surprising to say the least since the recent movie delt with Sky Shaymin and Origin Giratina, both originating in Platinum).

That was to do with racism though, not that they actually wanted him to leave

Makes no difference, though. I mean, the writers could have just as easily kept tracey despite full knowledge that we didn't care if Brock was a racist stereotype or not, because they would view only their own minds as the law of the franchise, and the Fans have absolutely no influence whatsoever.

Besides, several people (myself included, BTW) felt that May and Dawn were sexist stereotypes (almost on par with the Fiorello fangirls, as far as I'm concerned.), which, IMO, would be far worse than a racial stereotype. I mean, racism at least gives the benefit of the doubt that the person might have no idea about what a race is truly like. With sexism, on the other hand, males and females walk by each other each and every day, so there is absolutely no way that they COULDN'T know what females or males are like. I mean, Misty was not really of that stereotype, so she really should come back to the main cast to give hope to several feminists.

Hideki~kun

Platinum Addict!
    Years
    • Age 115
    • I
    • Seen Apr 10, 2009
    I dunno, I'd like her to come back but... would it be suitible for her to come back after such a long gap?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I dunno, I'd like her to come back but... would it be suitible for her to come back after such a long gap?

If it was suitable for Gary to return after such a long gap at the end of AG, it's CERTAINLY suitable for Misty to come back at that gap as well.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Gary's appearance was just a cameo.

Misty will not return to the main cast. Interview or not, the writers wouldn't risk having another trainer who does little to nothing.

Anyway, she has already established herself as a gym leader so she has no reason to travel. So I'll just stick with her cameos.

But ask yourself this: Do you want to see another Johto? About 30 episodes about only Ash's quest, gym battles and the league?

Verdict: Her return is unreasonable outside of cameos.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Gary's appearance was just a cameo.

Actually, I was referring to the Shieldon and
    Spoiler:
    , I only said "AG" because that's where the appearances started.

Misty will not return to the main cast. Interview or not, the writers wouldn't risk having another trainer who does little to nothing.

(sigh) I gave... a LIST of what she did in her entire run, Do NOT make me try and retrieve it (and BTW, She DID far more than "little to nothing").

Anyway, she has already established herself as a gym leader so she has no reason to travel. So I'll just stick with her cameos.

Yeah, and Brock established himself as Ivy's assisstant for life, and the last time I checked, that didn't stop him from coming back.

But ask yourself this: Do you want to see another Johto? About 30 episodes about only Ash's quest, gym battles and the league?

Actually, I saw episodes of that series on that marathon on June the 2nd and June the 3rd, and Misty did quite a bit in those episodes. Besides, it's not like May and Dawn did anything worthwhile, either (besides contests, they really didn't do much.)

Verdict: Her return is unreasonable outside of cameos.

It was also unreasonable to keep Brock in the main cast by the time Hoenn came around (and heck, even Johto), and beyond. Heck, it was also unreasonable for Ash to follow some sort of unknown goal that's completely undefined by the anime writers, and also watching Team Rocket just following them, and adding in Max. Heck, it was also unreasonable to replace May with a girl who does moreorless the exact same goal as May, and it was even MORE unreasonable to even KEEP Ash on the main cast. Did that stop the writers from doing all of these unreasonable things? no, it didn't, so if they could do it with all of these things, whose to say that they can't or won't do it with Misty returning to the Main Cast?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    You have a new found confidence o.O Well, great for you, I suppose

Yeah, and it would also be as unlikely to happen as Brock returning to the group to tr... Oh... wait...

Tracy has even less chcaracter then Brock from what I can remember. His goal was to meet Prof Oak so they must've been planning to ditch him after Orange Islands anyway. When they realised he was not racist, perhaps they thought it was easier to bring him and back than make up a new character (we know the writers are lazy sometimes). There was only 1 main character back so I suppose they thought they needed 3 travellers and just carried on the trend.

If they wanted Misty to comeback to the group forever, why did they not do it when they met up in Advance Challenge or Advanced Battle? What are they waiting for?

People have thought the reason Gary doesn't come up much is because his original VA left and VAs are thought of much more highly there, so they didn't want him to appear much. Although, it does not explain the huge gap in AG and him only appearing near the end.

If he wasn't allowed to tell, he would have just given the cliche'd "it's confidential" like how our government always seems to act towards being questioned with the development of a new thing, NOT go "What's Platinum". Heck, WPM (the guy who did the interview in the first place, even stated that he saw his facial reaction and he genuinely didn't know (which is surprising to say the least since the recent movie delt with Sky Shaymin and Origin Giratina, both originating in Platinum).

I don't know about the US, but if you say something's confidential then that usually implies there is something rather than if you say you don't know. But it's still possible he had no idea that Platinum was coming out. Platinum has absolutly nothing to do with Misty. They didn't have to be told it was about Platinum, they're probably not allowed to tell the stories anyway.

Makes no difference, though. I mean, the writers could have just as easily kept tracey despite full knowledge that we didn't care if Brock was a racist stereotype or not, because they would view only their own minds as the law of the franchise, and the Fans have absolutely no influence whatsoever.

Yeah, so maybe they prefered Brock to Tracy *shrugs* Brock has the tinest bit more to him, I suppose, with the running after girls thing. Tracy sketched stuff. I have no idea why Brock is still here, either

Besides, several people (myself included, BTW) felt that May and Dawn were sexist stereotypes (almost on par with the Fiorello fangirls, as far as I'm concerned.), which, IMO, would be far worse than a racial stereotype. I mean, racism at least gives the benefit of the doubt that the person might have no idea about what a race is truly like. With sexism, on the other hand, males and females walk by each other each and every day, so there is absolutely no way that they COULDN'T know what females or males are like. I mean, Misty was not really of that stereotype, so she really should come back to the main cast to give hope to several feminists.

Huh? Any prejudice and discrimination based on what someone is rather than what they've done is bad, IMO. Racism, sexism and homophobia are all as bad as each other. Wait, how are Dawn and May sexist stereotypes? Because they look pretty? I mean, I know they get fan-service moments, but so does Ash and Misty got them too. Dawn is the most equal to Ash, she's even going to have a duet with Rica Matsumoto for DP Opening 2.

Who are the Fiorello girls?

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Weedle: You have to remember most people stopped watching the show during Johto. Many people in the fandom know it's the worst saga.

Gary's appearances in Sinnoh were also cameos. Unless he's in the group now and I just don't see and hear him.

What did Misty do in Johto? Please refresh my memory.

May was about 4/10 a main character, while Ash was 6/10. Dawn and Ash are practically 50/50.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    In Johto, Misty got to lose to a loser in the Whirl Islands tournament, rendering the whole thing pointless. She should've won.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    It is not unreasonable, but it is rather ludicrous. Surely after five years, most people would realise that the chances of her returning are slim to nothing. Although a lot of people would love for her to return, I don't see it happening. There would be continuity errors all over the place as well. Why would she abandon her Gym, hm? Besides, if there is a fifth generation, Dawn or a new character will fill the boots of the female protagonist. It would make more sense for that to happen than having Misty turning up out of the blue. And yes, I am well aware that I am bringing realism into a topic focused on fictional beasts who fight each other for their owner's enjoyment, nobody needs to point it out. Misty's place is in the past, not the present. If things go the way there are and they should, that is where she will remain.

You can keep hoping, though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    You have a new found confidence o.O Well, great for you, I suppose

Well, technically it's not "newly found", but I did have it for about three years.

Tracy has even less chcaracter then Brock from what I can remember. His goal was to meet Prof Oak so they must've been planning to ditch him after Orange Islands anyway. When they realised he was not racist, perhaps they thought it was easier to bring him and back than make up a new character (we know the writers are lazy sometimes). There was only 1 main character back so I suppose they thought they needed 3 travellers and just carried on the trend.

Well, it's not like Dawn's reasonings for joining Ash's gang were completely sound, either. Heck, Brock's reasonings for rejoining Ash in Sinnoh was also not quite sound either (in fact, the way they did the scene of his return made it seem like he didn't WANT to nor intend to return to Ash's company, and that the only reason he did return was because his trucker girlfriend ditched him.)

If they wanted Misty to comeback to the group forever, why did they not do it when they met up in Advance Challenge or Advanced Battle? What are they waiting for?

Maybe because they didn't want it to be far too easy? I mean, they could have wanted to wait until they have low expectations and then spring out and surprise us. (I mean, Mayumi Iizuka DID hint at a return to the anime in the blog, after all [or at least, that's how Zhen Lin's article was worded.].) And even IF they didn't want Misty to return, they will bring her back, soon enough, especially since I have a Global Boycott cooking up (I'm participating in this Boycott, BTW. Have been since May the 25th.)

People have thought the reason Gary doesn't come up much is because his original VA left and VAs are thought of much more highly there, so they didn't want him to appear much. Although, it does not explain the huge gap in AG and him only appearing near the end.

Wouldn't it have been a bit easier if he... you know... got a new VA change instead? I mean, the Japanese obviously didn't have any trouble changing Giovanni's VA when his old one croaked.

Yeah, so maybe they prefered Brock to Tracy *shrugs* Brock has the tinest bit more to him, I suppose, with the running after girls thing. Tracy sketched stuff. I have no idea why Brock is still here, either

Actually, I'm not sure if the chasing girls thing is even More than that. In fact, if anything, it seemed less than that, considering how it's a common cliche and it degrades a character. And also, I DO happen to sketch/draw stuff as well, so implying that sketching and drawing stuff seems to be almost nothing to a character is kinda insulting. Just FYI, of course.

Huh? Any prejudice and discrimination based on what someone is rather than what they've done is bad, IMO. Racism, sexism and homophobia are all as bad as each other. Wait, how are Dawn and May sexist stereotypes? Because they look pretty? I mean, I know they get fan-service moments, but so does Ash and Misty got them too. Dawn is the most equal to Ash, she's even going to have a duet with Rica Matsumoto for DP Opening 2.

They are both bad, yes. I'm just saying that there's virtually no chance that people have never heard of other Genders, whileas with Racism, while it is still just as bad, it at least has a chance (note, it's almost a tiny one, but still), that the people who made the comment had absolutely no idea that that's not how the race they are discriminating against is like.

Also, in regards to how May and Dawn were considered sexist Stereotypes, while fanservice is one thing (though, since MY definition of "Fanservice" also includes the participant in it actually WANTING to do such a thing and being overjoyous, technically speaking, Misty barely even HAD any fanservice, if at all), It's more in regards to their personality (I mean, they acted like... well... vain and whiney airheads, similar to the Fiorello girls and the LH characters (let me speak NO MORE of them.).

Who are the Fiorello girls?

Uggh... I can't believe I have to explain those... animals again...

Sigh, ok, in the Episode "Princess vs. Princess", when they announced the Queen of the Princess festival Contest, almost all of the girls in the store [if not almost all of the girls at the festival] squealed like animals (and not to mention trampled over Ash, Brock, Pikachu, James, and Meowth). The only ones who didn't act like that were Misty and Jessie. I compared May and Dawn to those two (and I would have mentioned all the girls in Love Hina as well, but I won't) because they seemed far too similar in terms of personality to those girls.

Weedle: You have to remember most people stopped watching the show during Johto. Many people in the fandom know it's the worst saga.

Really, because it seemed more like Hoenn was the worst saga, since someone posted ratings in regards to how, according to UPN, AG was actually faring WORSE than Johto.

What did Misty do in Johto? Please refresh my memory.

Ok, here's the list (the Johto things are bolded)

Ohh... Misty did FAR more than just cheer him on! I mean, she:

was the one who came up with the escape route in regards to St. Anne's sinking

was the one who stopped the Tentacool and Tentacruel invasion

was the one who "defeated" gastly, in a sense

was the one who ultimately stopped the Backpack-switching thief

was the one who won the Princess Festival

was the one who saved Cerulean Gym during TR's attack on the Mermaid thing

was the one who Identified Greenfield

was the one who got Ash and Brock to New Island

was the one who saved Ash in the Second movie

was the one who foiled the breeding scam

was the one who got the people of Kabuto Island evacuated when it was dissolving from
    the Kabuto's resurrecton

placed top 8 in the Whirl cup

was the co-brain behind the Silver rescue attempt

was the one who saved the giant Magcargo

was the one who stopped the Fuschia gym take over

was the one who won the race in the fifth movie

was responsible for Heracross deciding to stop the Pinsir from stealing all the sap

was the reason why Ash was able to challenge Blaine,

was (albeit partially) the reason why Ash was able to get Mewtwo to the spring

was the one who stopped Ash from trying to get revenge on the Quagsire for stealing the GS ball

was the reason why the Corsola farm wasn't taken over by a rogue Corsola (and her
    Corsola can vouch, since her corsola is the same one that tried to attack the farm while it was wild.)

among other things (Believe me, I know a LOT more about the stuff Misty's done)...

And, as an added bonus, I'll post even MORE things.

She was the first one of the main cast to suspect something wasn't right about the house/girl that owned ninetales

She was the one who first noticed how Oak somehow knew about Sammy

She was the one who managed defeated Dorian

She was the one who helped Marril

She was the one who got Hoothoot to ultimately get them through the forest of confusion

She also contributed to getting the Farfetch'd back.

She fought for Totodile (which, while she lost, she still put up a decent fight)

She played a factor in getting James back to Jessie

She tried to get food running (she may not have been able to cook a decent meal, however, that could just have been an oversight since she was able to cook the Salveyo medicene)

She played a huge role in trying to get Brock to announce his feelings for Temaku

She was the one who got the Nurse Joy to get over her fear of water pokemon

She was the one who told Ash that what he acted like towards Bayleef was wrong.

among other things. So don't you ever say that Misty never did much on the main cast ever again.

May was about 4/10 a main character, while Ash was 6/10. Dawn and Ash are practically 50/50.

Ok, then, Please explain why May was shelved in favor for Ash in the Manaphy movie (and in the process portrayed her as a complete coward in regards to Manaphy)? Heck, even Dawn's third episode showed her being almost unable to try and get Pikachu and not trying to do anything when Ash arrives (I mean, if Ash, of all people, could jump onto that Arm of the Mechlikid just to save Pikachu, then Dawn can as well.).

Also, Rekhyt, they got away with Fantina being absent for a LONG time from her gym, so that plothole's gonna happen anyways. Plus, Brock reappearing every region is, technically speaking, out of the blue.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back