• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

is James gay or not?

StarGirl

sinnoh GF champion,Dawn
Years
  • if he not gay...why he had a girl breast in that episode beauty and the beach
    this is 1st banned episode in USA

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It wasn't even released here. :| I don't think he's gay. Just cause his voice is awkward doesn't mean that. I thought the idea of him having fake breasts for a beauty competition was hilarious, to be honest. Some things are just meant to be funny. Seems like nowadays people have to make everything out to be gay. :|

And hey. James is my name. All Jameses are cool. Like owls. Owls are cool.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • I love how 4Kids tried to make James appear a little gay with those little comments in some episodes. Gotta love those guys.

Anyway, he's not gay since he has shown interests in women before. I'd love it if he was though just to kill Rocketshipping.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • And hey. James is my name. All Jameses are cool. Like owls. Owls are cool.

So.... Gay people can't be cool?:C I think there is a high probabilty that he isn't carrying any "hetro credentials". But idk. Never thought of it. Sexuality is just about as boring as sex itself.

I would say it's possible.

Who you should really be suspicious of is Wobbufett. He's always throwing up that melodramatic hand... Totally homoerotic.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • I'll take the popular route here, and say what everyone will think when looking at this thread:

Who cares? :|

He's a cartoon character. What significance does knowing if he goes one way or another have? Spoiler alert: He's a fictional character.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I'll take the popular route here, and say what everyone will think when looking at this thread:

Who cares? :|

He's a cartoon character. What significance does knowing if he goes one way or another have? Spoiler alert: He's a fictional character.

Ignore them, I've seen worse on the Heroes threads where there is speculation that Claire is going to become a lesbian in Volume 5/Season 4: Redemption (Yes, people are actually speculating that. Apparently the writers have ignored continuity if this is true, which I don't believe that it is.)

As for whether James is homosexual or not, I extremely doubt it. First off, he's already had sexual attractions to women in the past (eg, the ghost of maiden's peak, that girl in "We're no angels", and
    Spoiler:
    )

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    In early episodes he seemed to have a crossdressing fetish when it came to disguises

So did Jessie (whom, if I must remind you all, dressed as the opposite gender), heck, a few times, it was even implied that James didn't want to wear girls clothing.

*Charizard*

Velocity
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    I can see why you could see him gay since in various episodes he has come across that way. However he isn't gay because he has shown interest in women.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    HARLEY is gay.. James.. James has barely ever seemed gay at all, in my opinion. >_>;

He seems neither straight, nor gay most of the time, but there have been some episodes where he showed attraction to some girls, soo yeah. Also, I feel biased because I support Rocketshipping, but generally.. he'd be straight canon-wise to me, whether I shipped him with a male or a female.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • It wasn't even released here. :| I don't think he's gay. Just cause his voice is awkward doesn't mean that. I thought the idea of him having fake breasts for a beauty competition was hilarious, to be honest. Some things are just meant to be funny. Seems like nowadays people have to make everything out to be gay. :|

And hey. James is my name. All Jameses are cool. Like owls. Owls are cool.

This. Just because a character acts outside of the heteronormative "omg men are soooo manly" stereotype we've got going on in the Western world, it doesn't automatically make him gay. Besides which, there's nothing wrong with being gay, but that's an argument for another thread.

And owls are awesome.

SPEEDIE

*Insert Random Joke Here*
    Years
  • i doubt he is gay i think they only put things that make him seem gay for comedy

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2011
    I think many poeple started to wonder about James being gay because he crossdressed several times in the early episodes and (in opposite to Ash, who had moments like these, too) seemed to like or at least not have anything against it back then. And in western society crossdressing may be linked to beeing gay.
    But as Pokemon is originally a Japanese production, there might be a different background to the Rocket crossdressing thing. If I'm not mistaken, in old Japanese theater all parts - including the female characters - were played by men. And noone saw anything gay in that. (I don't know how Japanese people think about things like that today, though.) But the Team Rocket roleplay in some episodes really reminds me of old Japanese (comedy) theater so I never saw a link between James' crossdressing/roleplaying and his personality. I thought the whole thing was just included to make the audience laugh.

And as several people already pointed out he showed interest in the opposit sex severel times (but never in any other males).

I don't think there is anything wrong with speculating about things like that. We all know that he's a fictional character. Speculating about his personality is more speculating about the writer's ideas for the characters and the storyline. And that's fun, isn't it? Especially when speculations like that turn out to be true to the story. I remember a discussion about the "Gargoyles" charatcer Lexington being gay a few years back. I never saw any hints for that idea but in the end it turned out that the writers really planned on outing him as gay and did several years later.

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
  • Just to remind to everyone, here is a quote from the general rules:

Everybody is to respect other people on the board.
    Do not flame, bash or insult other people. If someone acts uncivil, or harasses/intimidates you, you are not given the excuse to act the same in retaliation. Language in the forum must not be offensive to others - words such as "gay" when used in a derogatory manner must not be used. Do not press upon other members' religious beliefs.

Thank you for your attention.

Goron

Mountain Dweller
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2009
    James is prolly Metro ( Acts gay but is not ) <<< Lame description of it but... yeah?

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2009
    No, he's just gender-confused. :D Poor guy's living in the Japanese and English versions simultaneously, and can't figure out if he should act like a girl or a guy.

Oh, that reminds me of this one exchange in the anime (Excuse me if I got the characters wrong):

*James pulls out a Moltres costume*

Meowth: "Where did he get it from?"

Jessie: "I think it came out of his closet."

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • Hahahahaha well if the aformentioned quotes are true, it seems like this might be a closed case:p

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • i dont think so some how hes really funny i saw the pic of him with breasts from the ep but it was only for the contest so what if he is?

Back