• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there too many Pokemon?

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
  • And out of the 700 pokemon how many would you call good?

About 685 give or take. Like I said I don't sit around critiquing their anatomy and motor capabilities. Plus it took many people with very skilled backgrounds to make all 718 we have no idea how many didn't make it into the pokemon universe. Each Pokemon is vetted and approved by a team of people who have been doing this for quite a while, I'd say that we're lucky you aren't one of them. (IMO)

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2014
    Theres like what, 722, yeah... They added 69 new ones. They are clearly adding less so like at Gen. 8 has like 200 new Pokemon. Just an opinion don't be hating.

大輔

Adventurer
    Years
  • No I don't think so. I mean do you guys really want to know and understand every single pokemon out there? I think it makes it even more fun when you are a little lost and you have to figure things out a little more. I think it would be pretty cool if there were, let's say, 1,000 pokemon or even more than that. It would just make the entire experience more adventurous and a lot of diversity for your team would be enhanced. I like Pokemon more for the exploration aspect of it rather than creating the 'perfect battle' team or completing the pokedex.

Years
  • Banz said:
    As long as the designs are good I don't mind if there are 700 or 7000 Pokemon. The world we live in has millions of animal/plant species.
    I very much agree with this. Every generation seems to bring a handful of Pokemon that I don't care for, but a larger majority of them I like, or am at least neutral to. As long as there's more of the latter two, bring on the Pokemon!

That being said, I liked the amount of Pokemon that the sixth generation brought about, as we didn't feel overwhelmed with them. If each new generation were to include ~50-75 new Pokemon, and maybe a few new (pre-)evolutions, that should be more than enough. That way, we won't be seeing the number of Pokemon top 1000 for a while, at least.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    There aren't too many Pokemon IMO. But there are a few Pokemon I'd erase from existance if I could. Those include the Patrat line, the Pansear line, the Panpour line, the Pidove line, the Trubbish line, Herdier, Stoutland, Basculin, Emolga, Stunfisk, Spinda, Luvdisc, Wynaut, Unown, Chingling, and the female forms of Frillish, Jellicent, and Pyroar.

Also, I'd turn the Mega Evolutions for Pinsir, Heracross, Houndoom, Mawile, Absol, Banette, and Manectric into actual Pokemon.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • At the end of the day, though, even if there was 10,000, no one would actually remember all of them and you'd all still have about 25 favorites max unless you actively make an effort to encorporate them in something (fan game, fan-whatever, etc).

Just something I've observed, really, by reading a LOT of these topics online, everywhere. Especially after a new generation releases. When it all settles, though, everyone's gonna go right back to whichever Pokemon (archetypes) they (always) liked anyway. I don't mind new Pokemon, either, but I'm realistic about how it's gonna end up with me. That doesn't mean you won't find new favorites, but the ones that do either exceed expectations, or fit into your preferred archetype (how many people like Tyrantrum just because it's another hardcore Pokemon in appearance? I'll be honest myself, I like Aromatisse because it's feminine, the fact that she's actually good in the games is a bonus).

Afterall, I'm certain Stantler's a frontrunner in your usual Poke-conversations, heh. :P

The Mighty Kamina

Paragon of Masculinity
    Years
  • Strangely enough, I don't mind the fact there are over 700 now, and that number will certainly break 1,000 within two or three generations. Pokemon are portrayed as the animals of that world, and there are certainly more than 719 species of animal in this world.

This is why I don't mind multiple species of Pokemon based on the same type of animal, such as the numerous butterfly Pokemon. There are more than one species of butterfly in this world, so as long as they keep making unique spins on the concept, I'm all right with it.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    Its a bit hard to keep track of, but as long as they are new and original and not copies of old ones (woobat) than Im ok.

Back