• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

is this game a good idea?

Pika Storm

learning to script
Years
  • Sorry Went, I didn't know where to post a thread like this, anyway, here is the thread:

I have some friends who want to start playing pokemon, but don't want to spend the money on the games. So I am working on a game that I will for right now call "An introduction to pokemon". I am not trying to start the game thread here, but all the maps are extremely simplified, like this is viridian forrest (inside):
    https://img24.imageshack.us/my.php?im...dianforest.png

The game would be designed for people who are learning about pokemon and stuff like that. The game would not have a level system, simply the pokemon evolve at script events, plots are simplified, ect... The game would easily have all the regions, because the maps have so little detail, maps perfect for this could be made in just a few minuits. I am not officially starting the game yet, I just want a little feedback first. I want to take this precaution because not many people in the pokecommunity themselves would probably play the game, just people they know.

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
  • That would be really cool. I'd love a "Pokemon Mini", that you could finish in a few hours (rather than 50+!)- and I'm sure it'd give people a look into the way Pokemon works, so they could decide if they want a real one.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    It's a good idea. With maps being small and representing the original, they'll get an idea of what they're missing out on. As long as you let them walk around and fight their own battles then this will be gold.

Pika Storm

learning to script
    Years
  • yes, the player would only be required to fight the battles that are essential to the plot in the normal games. All the trainer battles are on the routes are optional, and since there are no levels, it really won't matter if they fight them.
    I wanted to know other people opinion of this before I start the game because I was worried that I might get the critisism of "there's not enough detail," or "what's the story," and stuff like that.
    I will get a couple more maps done and then will start the thread.

Xelios

Friendly Guy
    Years
  • I think this is a great idea as it will help the newbies to get the feel of the pokemon games. When everyone is trying to make harder and longer games, a game like this could be a refreshing change.
    Hope this idea doesn't get overused.

All in All, if you will make it, you have my support.

BlazingLink

Sergeant Serious
    Years
  • This is an incredible idea.

The mapping would be simple, and things would just blow by fast.

Nice idea, hope you go through with it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    If it's just a 'taster', what's the point of including all the regions? I'd just go for one region.

Pika Storm

learning to script
    Years
  • I've started the thread, here is the link,here

I guess I was a little vague, what I meant was the major regions (Kanto, Jhoto, Hoen, and Shinou). And even then, it is just so that people playing the game would get to see how big and fun the pokemon world is even if it is reduced this small.

I am going to change the tilesets now, and then will start the thread. I probably won't need more than four or five people as staff.

Last edited:
    Back