• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"An Introduction to Pokemon"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pika Storm

learning to script
    Years
    An Introduction to Pokemon

-Prelude
    Most games in this community are getting harder and harder. While this does make them more fun for people who have played pokemon before, it can often overwhelm the newbies that are trying to learn more about pokemon. These people usually go out and say that pokemon is stupid since they can't figure out how to play it. If only there was a game that taught them the basics...

-Introduction
    "An introduction to Pokemon" is a game that teaches the basics of pokemon games. This game simplifies almost every feature and takes out the more complicated ones.

-Story
    You are a newbie in the world of pokemon, but rather than professor oak or another scientist giving you your introduction, it is from a character named "Steve". Steve gives you your pokemon and then transports you to pallet town, where the character then starts the red/blue story line. This is repeated after the end of the plot in each region. Steve will guide you whenever you need help and makes your pokemon evolve.

-Features
    Not really any features, more like negative features
    -no level system
    -only three pokemon
    -all non event trainer battles are optional
    -most routes can be walked through without walking in grass
    -no status ailments
    -only three types of move effectiveness: weak(0.5), normal(1), and strong(1.5)
    -maps reduced in size and detail
    -no complicated gyms
    -no big dungeons
    -only one trainer per rout (unless part of event)
    -breeding taken out
    -many moves taken out
    -advanced help option on main menu
    -every major region

-Aplication
    please note that this game is so simple that I only need a few people to work with me on this.
    -tileset creator (I am using alistar's tilesets, but am having trouble inserting them)
    -event scriptor (someone who knows how to script events)
    -data scriptor (someone who knows how to edit the scripts that run the system)
    -mapper (me)
    -spriter (just a few sprites need to be altered)
    If you want to apply, just pm me and say which role you want to apply for and if you are good at it.

-Screenshots
    Here are a few screenies:

-Betas
    none yet, the first will probably be sometime in June

-Credits
    Poccil: the starter kit
    Alistar: Tilesets

Last edited:
    Years
    wow. this sounds EXTREMELY boring. XD Pokemon isn't really that hard to figure out. you're catering to the 6-8 crowd, which means they probably aren't on this site to play your game anyway.

not trying to be mean but...man...

Pika Storm

learning to script
    Years
    wow. this sounds EXTREMELY boring. XD Pokemon isn't really that hard to figure out. you're catering to the 6-8 crowd, which means they probably aren't on this site to play your game anyway.

lol, guess I can't please everyone...
    oh well, alot of the guests are about that age though, and the thread I had before for this had alot of supporters

BlazingLink

Sergeant Serious
    Years

This game is supposed to introduce People who don't like Pokemon into it.

And this game is still looking cool.

But maybe rename it to, oh I don't know...Pokemon Intro?

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
    Why take the levels and battles out? What's the point in playing a game with only three Pokemon? Won't these make it less interesting?

I'm confused....

Years
    Why take the levels and battles out? What's the point in playing a game with only three Pokemon? Won't these make it less interesting?

I'm confused....

That was precisely my point.

The intro's in the mainstream games are plenty enough introduction to get the basics of pokemon. the professor tells you what they are, and you learn what to do from the annoying guy who takes you around the first town, and you learn how to catch pokemon and such from talking to npcs. you're making it TOO easy. It's more like a tutorial than a real game, and so if you make it at all it should be a very short game b/c I don't think even beginners would play it all the way through.

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
    While I applaud what you are trying to do, one idea could be to introduce each concept gradually (what you have currently could be one step on the path) all the way to something out of one of the real games.

Pika Storm

learning to script
    Years
    While I applaud what you are trying to do, one idea could be to introduce each concept gradually (what you have currently could be one step on the path) all the way to something out of one of the real games.
    That's a good idea, I'll see how I could try to incorporate that

This game is supposed to introduce People who don't like Pokemon into it.

And this game is still looking cool.

But maybe rename it to, oh I don't know...Pokemon Intro?
    Thank you!

Not necessarily. Jumping into the series at this point could create some confusion, and someone might google "introduction to pokemon games".

And there is no pre-defined age.
    yeah, even I had a little trouble with platinum

I'm confused....
    it is really just meant to keep the battles short so that the game can be played in a shorter time than most of the other ones

That was precisely my point.

The intro's in the mainstream games are plenty enough introduction to get the basics of pokemon. the professor tells you what they are, and you learn what to do from the annoying guy who takes you around the first town, and you learn how to catch pokemon and such from talking to npcs. you're making it TOO easy. It's more like a tutorial than a real game, and so if you make it at all it should be a very short game b/c I don't think even beginners would play it all the way through.
    True the introductions are pretty good, but they don't tell if the entire game is good, and I hope for this game to be able to go through each region in about fifteen minuits.

Thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread so far

Years
    That's a good idea, I'll see how I could try to incorporate that

Thank you!

yeah, even I had a little trouble with platinum

it is really just meant to keep the battles short so that the game can be played in a shorter time than most of the other ones

True the introductions are pretty good, but they don't tell if the entire game is good, and I hope for this game to be able to go through each region in about fifteen minuits.

Thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread so far

Ah, okay. Going through each in 15 sounds about right. I thought you had in mind a full-sized game. In that case, I take back prior criticism.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    It's going to be that short? While it'd certainly be shorter than the actual games, I was hoping for at least a couple of hours of play (overall - maybe 30-40 minutes per region minimum).

I think it's a great idea, no so much for the "being an introduction to Pokémon" as for "being a non-serious skim-through of the Pokémon games". It's fun, it's light, it's care-free, it's simple. It could even act as a walkthrough for the games, without the hassle of all the level grinding and picking/breeding your pokémon to be the best. All of the plot, none of the tediousness.

Of course, the proper battling is fun too, but there's certainly scope for making a no-frills version that can keep the excitement without worrying about Choice Scarves and damage calculations.

Pika Storm

learning to script
    Years
    It's going to be that short? While it'd certainly be shorter than the actual games, I was hoping for at least a couple of hours of play (overall - maybe 30-40 minutes per region minimum).

I think it's a great idea, no so much for the "being an introduction to Pokémon" as for "being a non-serious skim-through of the Pokémon games". It's fun, it's light, it's care-free, it's simple. It could even act as a walkthrough for the games, without the hassle of all the level grinding and picking/breeding your pokémon to be the best. All of the plot, none of the tediousness.

Of course, the proper battling is fun too, but there's certainly scope for making a no-frills version that can keep the excitement without worrying about Choice Scarves and damage calculations.

I'm thinking about a difficulty setting that would allow to player to chose some things like about how long it would take to go through each region, the differences in attack strengths, maybe the hardest setting could have a level system of 1 to 10, and stuff like that, but I'd need a system scriptor before it could be incorporated

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    A really advanced difficulty setting could include unlockable features that are native to the real games. That is, the lowest difficulty is what you describe, a medium difficulty has immunities instead of just "not very effective" and more moves, and a hard difficulty throws in natures and the like. It'd provide replayability for the game.

You'd be insane to actually try to do that, though. Perhaps "difficulty = number of foes to battle" is sufficient. "Difficulty = number of Aspear Berries the Old Man wants", or "Difficulty = how much you need to talk to people before you can move on".

Pika Storm

learning to script
    Years
    I'm still thinking about how it would work. The difficulty would have to be chosen at the begining of each region and I'm thinking about the differences in difficulty for each level. But thank you for that idea, changing each part insetead of a universal difficulty levels.

Edit- Update!
    To keep people posting here, I have put together the map pictures of some of the completed Jhoto Region, enjoy
    https://img40.imageshack.us/my.php?image=update.jpg
    I would give a thumbnail, but image shack is giving me trouble, and the picture is too bit to put in a post
    And once again thank you to all the people who have posted in this thread

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back