• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It's Official: Water Found on the Moon.

Jesus oƒ Suburbia

east jesus nowhere?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015
    Anybody remember how NASA was planning to 'drill' into the moon?
    Well it's official now, they've got what they wanted, they've struck frozen water with the impact.

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33912611/ns/technology_and_science-space/

What are your thoughts on this, think it's a step towards progress?
    Or are there way too many other factors in effect to sustain life on the Moon?

Correct me if I've got something wrong.

Years
    I heard about this yesterday. Kinda reminds me of Dan Brown's Deception Point for all who have read it. I really don't care what they do up there, because I will never - NEVER - go up there. Something bad is bound to happen, plus, I like to be down here on Earth, where we have GRAVITY and WARMTH. The moon is too cold and too lightweight for me.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    Well there is one. The "extremes", as what scientist would say. There are complications when establishing moon bases, the cost, and the time and sacrifice it would take to make it there.

There may be water there, but it could sustain us there? For how long? The best bet for colonization is Mars.

Jesus oƒ Suburbia

east jesus nowhere?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015
    I heard about this yesterday. Kinda reminds me of Dan Brown's Deception Point for all who have read it. I really don't care what they do up there, because I will never - NEVER - go up there. Something bad is bound to happen, plus, I like to be down here on Earth, where we have GRAVITY and WARMTH. The moon is too cold and too lightweight for me.

For now perhaps.....

did u know as a random fact,god belivers dont belive in gravity

Some might beg to differ.
    But how is it related to this?

The Moon might turn out to be a very nice place, IMO.

Years
    HAI RUSEL T DAIVEES I FINK U SHUD RENAIM IT 2 TEH WATRZ OF TEH MUN!

Sorry.
    Anyway, so they found ice. Was it round? What does that matter? Why would we move to the Moon, anyway? What's wrong with Earth?

I'm confused.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Contrary to popular belief, the mooon does indeed have Gravity. Objects on the moon weigh in at around 16.7% of what they weigh on Earth. The moon also has warmth. Seeing as the moon and earth are the same distance from the sun, they receive the same amount of heat. Coupled with the moon's lack of an atmospheric layer, it's actually fairly warm on the moon. It should be noted that temperatures drop during lunar nights.

Back to the topic, I believe that we can now finally begin to take our first steps to conquering the Galaxyinterplanetary exploration. Once a base has been established on the moon, we can use the moons lower gravity to launch rockets to mars with less fuel required for take-off.

The Moon Rocks!(pun intended)

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years

*high-five* I love Dan Brown's Deception Point. The writing was sloppier than Angels & Demons (his best book IMHO) but I liked the plot better.

Anyway, on topic: I think it's kind-of exciting, really, but I don't expect anything to come from it. I recently attended a lecture with an ex-BBC Science Correspondent and Rick Stroud (it was at the Cheltenham Literature Festival, and they were both promoting their new books) and both of them were adamant that we should concentrate on exploring the moon instead of heading out into deeper space, which I agree with - but again, I don't think we'll find a lot. It's exciting all the same though.

/long rambly.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    If they honestly think that they can build a moon base now that they found water there, I'll point out one possible occurance: A little kid of an astronaut is playing with something, and he throws it. It crashes into a window and fractures the glass. The decreased level of protection causes the other layers of glass to crack from the pressure, and a hole into space is formed. The vacuum of space sucks everything in the base outside, and everyone dies. The end.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    If they honestly think that they can build a moon base now that they found water there, I'll point out one possible occurance: A little kid of an astronaut is playing with something, and he throws it. It crashes into a window and fractures the glass. The decreased level of protection causes the other layers of glass to crack from the pressure, and a hole into space is formed. The vacuum of space sucks everything in the base outside, and everyone dies. The end.
    I think we found a positive person here!

Years
    lol wut? Since they would use the same glass that the windows on your house are made of......./sarcasm
    and god belivers dont belive in space or dinosaurs

in a nutshell they don't believe in science.so my post is not of topic
    Oh, but it is. The topic is: "It's Official, Water Found on the Moon", NOT "It's Official, TEH cHRistiANS DonT LeiK TEh sCEInce LOLZ."
    There may be water there, but it could sustain us there? For how long? The best bet for colonization is Mars.
    ^Finally, a post that makes sense. I think the hope is that putting a base on the moon will make it easier to get to Mars, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money. All they spend on a base could be spent building on Mars to begin with. You want water? Mars has plenty of it.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    and god belivers dont belive in space or dinosaurs

in a nutshell they don't believe in science.so my post is not of topic
    Thanks for proving to us that you're a closed minded prick. Moving on now...

/troll

yeah right life sustainable on the moon??!?!?!?!thats one thing that mankind wont be able to do i guarantee u that
    Yeah, I know, right? Just like we can't possibly have life in volcanic craters or pools of sulfur or the very tips of the atmosphere...

Wait! Life DOES exist there, it's just that it's very primitive!

D: OMIGOSH NOWAI

Jesus oƒ Suburbia

east jesus nowhere?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015
    Oh, but it is. The topic is: "It's Official, Water Found on the Moon", NOT "It's Official, TEH cHRistiANS DonT LeiK TEh sCEInce LOLZ."

^Finally, a post that makes sense. I think the hope is that putting a base on the moon will make it easier to get to Mars, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money. All they spend on a base could be spent building on Mars to begin with. You want water? Mars has plenty of it.

1.Thanks for pointing that out to him my good Sir. ;D
    2:
    It won't help a lot, since you would have to take out time and effort to develop a base on the moon, the distance isn't too much so I would say to direct all that capital and effort into planning a direct route to Mars.

Years
    1.Thanks for pointing that out to him my good Sir. ;D
    Someone needed to.....
    It won't help a lot, since you would have to take out time and effort to develop a base on the moon, the distance isn't too much so I would say to direct all that capital and effort into planning a direct route to Mars.
    Kinda what I thought. Which spawns the question, "What's the big deal, then?" Why would they need a base and/or water on the moon?

It's a rock.
    A big rock.
    Just add water. XD

(BTW, I really am curious when I ask 'what's the deal'. I'm not being sarcastic. Enlighten me.)

Back