• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It's Official: Water Found on the Moon.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    Transporting water from the moon is waaaay too expensive as a solution to the water problem. Before we did that we would first use up all our hydrogen & oxygen to produce h2o.

The Moon's gravity is not strong enough to keep calcium and other nutrients in our body.

Reeeally? Where did you read that? I can't find anything related to nutrients and weightlessness. Your muscles and bones deteriorate, we know that, but excersize can minimize that.

But yeah, moon colonists would have a very hard time coming back to Earth. The gravity would flatten them. Maybe it could be used as...a penal colony?

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Unless they can give me undeniable proof that the Moon exists, I won't believe there is water on it.

kcrew

I dunno why I had to make it
    Years
    But yeah, moon colonists would have a very hard time coming back to Earth. The gravity would flatten them. Maybe it could be used as...a penal colony?
    That's one problem as to moon life. And also, as for the air problem, terraforming would not help. You need gravity to prevent air from floating off...

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    That's one problem as to moon life. And also, as for the air problem, terraforming would not help. You need gravity to prevent air from floating off...

Which is why you seal the colony in an airtight biodome.

Years
    Which is why you seal the colony in an airtight biodome.
    Why would anyone want to live on the moon, anyways? The moon sucks. Why don't you just move to Antarctica? It's warmer than the part of the moon not lit by the sun. Plus, it doesn't get up past the boiling point of water when the sun is shining. Also there's penguins, instead of... you know, rocks and moon dust or whatever the hell is up there.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    This is certainly an interesting development. I wouldn't get your space suits on yet, but I can certainly imagine this being a huge step forward toward colonizing the moon. It's certainly possible that within one or two lifetimes, what we've previously only seen in sci-fi may become the stuff of reality.

I heard about this yesterday. Kinda reminds me of Dan Brown's Deception Point for all who have read it. I really don't care what they do up there, because I will never - NEVER - go up there. Something bad is bound to happen, plus, I like to be down here on Earth, where we have GRAVITY and WARMTH. The moon is too cold and too lightweight for me.
    Uh, why? Because somebody wrote a story about it? There have been plenty of fictional stories about crap going wrong right here on this very planet, it's not a valid reason to stay away from it. Also, the moon has gravity, it's just less than the earth's (technically, anything with mass has a gravitational force). As for heat, if we have water on the moon, we can, in isolated areas, (a) make air with oxygen, and (b) get electricity, which when coupled with solar power, we can use to produce heat. The main problem I see is one of monetary resources; we'd need some of the most advanced technology available, and even NASA's budget wouldn't be able to afford it all.

Unless they can give me undeniable proof that the Moon exists, I won't believe there is water on it.
    Hahaha, good one. That was more sophisticated than I expected. xD

Rolling Pichu

IV XV VII
    Years
    I heard about this yesterday. Kinda reminds me of Dan Brown's Deception Point for all who have read it. I really don't care what they do up there, because I will never - NEVER - go up there. Something bad is bound to happen, plus, I like to be down here on Earth, where we have GRAVITY and WARMTH. The moon is too cold and too lightweight for me.
    I'd worry about the day heat rather than the cold. Like this fella up there said, there's a way around cold temperatures. It's gonna be harder surviving the lunar day comfortably.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Transporting water from the moon is waaaay too expensive as a solution to the water problem. Before we did that we would first use up all our hydrogen & oxygen to produce h2o.

Reeeally? Where did you read that? I can't find anything related to nutrients and weightlessness. Your muscles and bones deteriorate, we know that, but excersize can minimize that.

Um, why do you think the bones deteriorate? Do little bits and pieces float away? o:

Now, I know this is hard, but let's try and use some common sense to answer that.

Rolling Pichu

IV XV VII
    Years

In lower gravity it's harder for the intestines to absorb nutrients. That includes Calcium. Do your math.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I would rather scientists focusing more on Europa then the Moon imo.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    The amount of water found on the moon was actually negligable, i.e. molecules-worth. It's also frozen; liquid water can't exist there because there isn't enough pressure, so it's not as big of a deal as NASA is letting everyone believe.
    I think NASA is hyping the whole water-on-the-moon thing because they want the government to think there is a sensible reason to give NASA a larger budget, and they have been looking for a reason for another moon-landing. As long as the economy is doing poorly and tax money is being spent on other things, NASA will have to get creative in its endeavor to seem deserving of funding.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I would rather scientists focusing more on Europa then the Moon imo.
    Well, without a lunar base for re-fueling and easy take-off, we wont get to Europa quickly with the equipment we need.

The amount of water found on the moon was actually negligable, i.e. molecules-worth. It's also frozen; liquid water can't exist there because there isn't enough pressure, so it's not as big of a deal as NASA is letting everyone believe.
    I think NASA is hyping the whole water-on-the-moon thing because they want the government to think there is a sensible reason to give NASA a larger budget, and they have been looking for a reason for another moon-landing. As long as the economy is doing poorly and tax money is being spent on other things, NASA will have to get creative in its endeavor to seem deserving of funding.

Um, you obviously don't understand the point. There is actually more water than you're letting on. However, there isn't a lot compared to Earth, it is enough to fuel a base and create fuel, which is all we really can use it for.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I thought it was confirmed before? Or was that Mars when they found a peice of ice in the dirt? Eithger way I wont be impressed until a Moon Fish is found d:

When we move to the moon, we can then move to other planets, because everything'll be easier. But, then, we'll have wars on the moon. People'll conquer planets :/.

I'd live on the moon though, I'd weigh like 8 pounds I think, maybe less. I did a thing a science... and I'm fat on the sun :p.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Well, without a lunar base for re-fueling and easy take-off, we wont get to Europa quickly with the equipment we need.
    You don't understand do you?

I want them to focus more of their attention onto exploring Europa through a hydrobot.

ThornPython4

Team Popplio
    Years
    First of all, water wasn't just "discovered" on the moon, IT WAS ALREADY THERE! We will never get anything on the moon, because we have never been there in the first place. The moon landing was all a hoax, I watched a documentary on it. And I did an Essay on the subject, getting perfect. lol.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    First of all, water wasn't just "discovered" on the moon, IT WAS ALREADY THERE! We will never get anything on the moon, because we have never been there in the first place. The moon landing was all a hoax, I watched a documentary on it. And I did an Essay on the subject, getting perfect. lol.
    Clearly you don't know the meaning of the verb discover. It means to gain knowledge of.

So we gained the knowledge of water on the surface of the Moon. Get it? Also I can see why you believe the Moon landing was a hoax, but to be simple - it's not.

Back