• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen It's Official!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I don't really mind the looks of them.
    I just hate the fire evolution though. The other two I'm OK with.

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
    okay if the Article is true and those words came from Mr. Sugimori then there are some
    problems that just make the Evo Pictures invalid to what he's talking about

the only thing that really makes sense is Mijumaru's last evo looking partly Sea Lion-like

can someone put up what "Western" is supposed to look like? i picture cowboys and indians when that is said xDDD
    And how does Pokabu's evo's have a "Chinese" inspiration come from?
    both of those pictures don't look chinese in the least... to me anyway

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    after looking at more info, i have to go with the people not sold yet, this proves nothing, & if the quote is real, its proves even more so their fake
    why? "smuglord" looks like a chinese dragon, not a western dragon (western dragon is charizard, & salamence) "mijumune" (as someone called it) has nothing on its belly in that artwork, a katana isnt paper thin :P (partially joking)

im not sold, but if its true *points to my other post in this thread* this is the worst trio yet. but tsutarja is my fav :cer_love:

Sloofish

★Cannibal Psycho Soft For Pkmn
    Years
    "I came up with the idea of making the shell on Mijumaru's stomach into a sword (katana) and using it to fight, and that's how I completed Mijumaru and its evolution."

If this magazine is real then this may prove they're 'fake'

The shell on it's head in no way resembles a katana, and it would still be on it's chest. A four legged Pokemon can't even use a weapon with it's feet, it would use hands like Yuudatsu(Mijumaru's mid evo) and Mijumaru have ; that have fingers. Where as the flippers on the four legged Pokemon do not have fingers and it walks on all fours.

This doesn't prove anything at all and in fact makes it way less likely they're real... Not to sound like a party pooper or anything, but this is my own view of what is posted here. It really makes me more skeptical than ever. But I suppose we'll find out in a few days.

Last edited:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    after looking at more info, i have to go with the people not sold yet, this proves nothing, & if the quote is real, its proves even more so their fake
    why? "smuglord" looks like a chinese dragon, not a western dragon (western dragon is charizard, & salamence) "mijumune" (as someone called it) has nothing on its belly in that artwork, a katana isnt paper thin :P (partially joking)

im not sold, but if its true *points to my other post in this thread* this is the worst trio yet. but tsutarja is my fav :cer_love:

I agree. The only one that fits into what was said about the inspirations is Pokabu's evo, which looks pretty Chinese to me. :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010
    In that link, Sugimori precisely says that the leaked evolutions are fake!

YAAAY! Hope that's true. I'm not that good at drawing, and even I made an evolution (2nd stage) for Pokabu that looks awesome. xD

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

Not true. It depends on which western world they are referring to. Western American, yes, four legged dragons usually personifying evil. Western Mayan world, they are serpentine. Much like the fake smuglord.

The pigs look like Mongolian warlords. Mongolia is near China I believe, if not then the disney Mulan cartoon lies.

Ken said that the water goes from Otter to Sea Lion and the head shell becomes some sort of katana. So it does fit the fake picture fairly well so far. We just need to wait for more info or better scans.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    They make sense through an Asian's eyes. Japanese have different views on different cultures than we do. Pokabu's more than likely based off of Chinese folktales. Western culture to a Japanese is something like Europe and US rather than "cowboys and indians", which is why Tsutaja's smugness makes me laugh. It's like he's making fun of Western culture with Tsutaja.

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
    From Bulbapedia:
    Information and pictures from Pokémon Pia, a special magazine on sale September 10th, have begun to surface on 2ch. Among the information revealed so far is an interview of art director Ken Sugimori, in which he discusses the development of the Pokémon Black and White starter Pokémon and their evolutions.

The Sugimori interview, discussing the starter Pokémon
    In the article, Sugimori explained that Tsutarja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru's final evolutions had been divided into Western, Chinese, and Japanese designs, respectively. He elaborated especially on Mijumaru's final evolution, which can be seen in the translation of the interview provided below:
    " Ken Sugimori, primary illustrator: I really struggled the most with the Water-type [starter] this time.
    Yusuke Ohmura, illustrator: There was talk of, "Wouldn't a sea otter be good for the Water starter?" But it was a really close decision in terms of what this sea otter would become once it evolves. In the end, we decided to have it evolve into something with a completely different appearance.
    Sugimori: Of course, we want to make the starters into Pokémon that remain with the player throughout the game, so we hope to make them evolve into creatures that offer a surprise to the player. We always make an effort to throw in some twists and create third-stage evolutions that have an impact.
    Ohmura: There was also talk this time about dividing the three starters into Japanese, Western, and Chinese styles of design. Tsutarja was based on Western design, and Pokabu was rooted in a Chinese style, so I was told, "Let's make Mijumaru into a more Japanese-style design." Someone even asked, "Can't you make Mijumaru into a samurai?" [laughs]
    Everyone: [laughs]
    Sugimori: I worried about it for a while, and I eventually went to go see the sea otters at the aquarium. I happened to catch the sea lion show while I was there, and I became aware of the sea lion's power. "Well, let's try blending a sea otter and a sea lion," I thought. I came up with the idea of making the shell on Mijumaru's stomach into a sword (katana) and using it to fight, and that's how I completed Mijumaru and its evolution."
    "
    -- Pokémon Pia

The information provided seems to indicate that the starters' evolutions leaked previously were fake.
    More information will be added as it becomes available.

That is something that I do not really understand (bolded text). Why would bulbapedia think its fake? I thought this proved that the evos were real?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    They make sense through an Asian's eyes. Japanese have different views on different cultures than we do. Pokabu's more than likely based off of Chinese folktales. Western culture to a Japanese is something like Europe and US rather than "cowboys and indians", which is why Tsutaja's smugness makes me laugh. It's like he's making fun of Western culture with Tsutaja.
    Yup those are usually what's view as Western though South America and Central America plus Mexico are also Western though I'm not sure if they consider them as such...

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years

Pokabu's final evo is based off of the enemy character from the same story Inferape is from.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    From Bulbapedia:

That is something that I do not really understand (bolded text). Why would bulbapedia think its fake? I thought this proved that the evos were real?

It made sense to me...So I'm confused as well as to why they are fake. He didn't deeply describe every feature of the evos...Just one aspect of Mijumaru

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    I agree. The only one that fits into what was said about the inspirations is Pokabu's evo, which looks pretty Chinese to me. :P

agreed :P

Not true. It depends on which western world they are referring to. Western American, yes, four legged dragons usually personifying evil. Western Mayan world, they are serpentine. Much like the fake smuglord.

The pigs look like Mongolian warlords. Mongolia is near China I believe, if not then the disney Mulan cartoon lies.

Ken said that the water goes from Otter to Sea Lion and the head shell becomes some sort of katana. So it does fit the fake picture fairly well so far. We just need to wait for more info or better scans.

when japan thinks western its like in the comment below, they think USA,&EU.

i can see that as well, but it still looks horrible, i wanted a big with TUSKS, a boar that could scare the **** outta the enemy,not some ugly warlord wannabe :/

i didnt see anything bout its head being a katana O.o" i mightve read too fast, but i do specifically remember reading "on its stomach" so that disproves it IMO :/

i agree, thats why i like tsutaja :cer_love:

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
    "I came up with the idea of making the shell on Mijumaru's stomach into a sword (katana) and using it to fight, and that's how I completed Mijumaru and its evolution."

If this magazine is real then this may prove they're 'fake'

The shell on it's head in no way resembles a katana, and it would still be on it's chest. A four legged Pokemon can't even use a weapon with it's feet, it would use hands like Yuudatsu(Mijumaru's mid evo) and Mijumaru have ; that have fingers. Where as the flippers on the four legged Pokemon do not have fingers and it walks on all fours.

This doesn't prove anything at all and in fact makes it way less likely they're real... Not to sound like a party pooper or anything, but this is my own view of what is posted here. It really makes me more skeptical than ever. But I suppose we'll find out in a few days.

Oh now I get it. This proves that those evos are in fact fake.

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
    Western culture to a Japanese is something like Europe and US rather than "cowboys and indians", which is why Tsutaja's smugness makes me laugh. It's like he's making fun of Western culture with Tsutaja.

i knoww~ xDD i was just poking fun... making this thread not so serious xDD
    but it's smugness is the reason i love it so much
    the very first time i saw the starters my eyes were glued to Tsutaaja

and literally said "MAN!! that Pokemon looks like a real A%#H#&e!! That's the Pokemon for ME!!"
    =P

but yeah can someone give pictures on what "Western , Chinese and Japanese"
    design types are supposed to look like? =C

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015

Yup those are usually what's view as Western though South America and Central America plus Mexico are also Western though I'm not sure if they consider them as such...

south western :P :cer_laugh: sorry couldnt resist, gotta keep the air light :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back