• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

J-E Questions [Now Also the Anime Recommendation] Thread

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    The CLANNAD movie is an alternative and condensed version of both seasons. The TV series is much better.
    I'll be watching all of the Clannad episodes things including the movie XD

So the Movie is basically all put in one?

And is Kanon similar to Clannad?

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Kanon and Clannad do have a lot of similarities, if you like one there is a good chance you will like the other. Okazaki and Yuuichi are similar in a lot of ways as are Fuko and Makoto. Both have miracles and in my opinion very nice art.

The Clannad movie is a condensed and slightly altered version of Clannad and Clannad After Story. I would defo suggest watching the series first.

To add my own question to this....actually as you can see i like these, any recommendations of similar type anime? If you can tell me of any better anime than Clannad you will win serious internets from me.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018

I'll be watching all of the Clannad episodes things including the movie XD

So the Movie is basically all put in one?

And is Kanon similar to Clannad?

Clannad the movie is the Toei version, meaning it's worse than the series. The movie is only the main arc. However, After Story already covers that arc, so you don't really need to watch the movie unless you're going for series+ on your MAL.

Kanon was made two series before CLANNAD (one before being AIR) It's pretty similar, though I would watch Kanon first for dramatic effect.

Kanon, AIR, and CLANNAD (and Little Busters too, when K-on stops being stupid) are all made by Key, same for Angel Beats, though that was more a collaboration of Maeda Jun and the PA Works

To add my own question to this....actually as you can see i like these, any recommendations of similar type anime? If you can tell me of any better anime than Clannad you will win serious internets from me.
    hmm....true tears, the ef series [ef ~A tale of memories][ef ~A tale of melodies], Futakoi Alternative, though it's a bit actiony, Hitohira is nice, but it's not exactly romance than it is drama. I personally rank CLANNAD as the best of this genre so far, but ya.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Thanks Digi. I loved True Tears and i have the Ef series downloaded and ready to watch, but i'll check the rest out. :)

Last edited:

Martins

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    -Lapras, you could also try Ai Yori Aoshi, too. Though the harem genre seems to overwhelm other genres, it's actually a great romantic anime. It's really underrated, to be honest.

Other nice ones would be Air, Chobits, Shuffle!, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien...

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Kimi Ga Nozomu Ein is one of my favourites as is Shuffle!. Air was ok and Chobits is actually already on my to watch list.

*goes to check out Ai Yori Aoshi.

Cheers Martins.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Ah, my favorite genre of anime :) I can vouch for True Tears and Hitohira being great shows. To add to this list, I suggest Lamune, Kimikiss pure rouge, Kimi ni Todoke, and Hatsukoi Limited. I enjoyed each of these series as well.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Yey lot sof suggestions, of course i'll check those out as well. I'm currently trying to finish K-On!! and Azumanga Daioh, so many episodes.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I loved True Tears <3

And just a question, what is the purpose of the robot thingy and the girl in the beginning of Clannad? Is it something main? No spoilers please!

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    I loved True Tears <3

And just a question, what is the purpose of the robot thingy and the girl in the beginning of Clannad? Is it something main? No spoilers please!

Think of it as similar to Ayu's poem sequence in Kanon

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • As you watch through the series you'll see more meaning to those. When i first started watching i was a bit like o_O

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    I want to try out J-Dramas and I am not sure where to start. I want a English subbed series if you know of any, and a school/college setting.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    The immediate thought when I hear J-drama is 1 Litre of Tears, but that's mainly cuz it's the only one I have. Another that come to mind is Hana Yori Dango, but...well, it's based off an anime, dunno

Years
  • I want to try out J-Dramas and I am not sure where to start. I want a English subbed series if you know of any, and a school/college setting.
    You could try Hana Kimi. Girl pretends to be a boy to get into an all-boy's school. Comedy with some romantic elements. Lots of pretty boys.

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    I am not into the whole gender bender anime, but I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the recommendation, digi-kun and Scarf.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • I hope this is also a manga recommendation thread. Would any of you know anything similar toy HOTD? I'm really loving it atm. I expect most people first thoughts would go to Gantz and BR so i'll say them.

If you haven't read/seen HOTD, it is an action/horror/ecchi with nice artwork.

M i n a t o //

Listen to the Stereo
    Years
  • Now that I've finished most of the animes I've put off for a year, could anybody recommend to me any animes similar to these?

Durarara!
    Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

Back