• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Johto starters!

Which Johto starter did you use?

• Chikorita

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • Totodile

Votes: 21 34.4%

• Total voters
Years
152.png
155.png
158.png

In HG/SS you could choose from three (adorable) starters: Chikorita, Cyndaquil, or Totodile, staying true to the original Gold and Silver. Which of these three did you choose in your first playthrough? Which was your favorite to use? Which do you like most overall? And, lastly, what did you think of this group of starters as a whole?

Years
I of course chose Cyndaquil. I love Fire types, so Cyndaquil was a lock. But, Cyndaquil's line also has some good stats, and I really like Typhlosion's design. That Cyndaquil, named Ferocity, turned out very useful, being the lone survivor of the battle with Red. Now Ferocity is sitting between a Bellossom and a Nidoking on Black 2.

Years
I chose Cyndaquil, but put it into PC as soon as I got a Pidgey cos I already had a team planned for my SS run. It was a valuable member of my Crystal team though.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 26, 2014
I love fire types, so I chose Cyndaquil as my starter when I first got Gold. I used Chikorita in SS and Totodile in HG. It's close between Totodile and Cyndaquil, but I like Totodile more.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
I did choose Totodile on my first run, and I'm gonna admit I didn't like it xD I went for Cyndaquil on my next run and it definitely spiced up the game for me. I don't ever remember picking Chikorita in HG/SS, oddly enough. I might of have picked it once but reset because I probably couldn't get the Feather Badge. xD

Years
I never usually go for the fire type starters, but Cyndaquil is my clear favourite here. I used him as a starter in every HGSS playthrough I do. Normally, I pick my starters based on their final evolution, as you will be using it for most of the game, and Typhlosion is probably my favourite fully evolved version of a starter. However, in this situation, it's not just that. Ever since I first saw Cyndaquil in the anime, I've loved it so much, and that holds true for the first time I used it in game. I love it's design; simple but cool, I guess you could say.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2020
Ahh I loved all the Johto starters so much, literally my favorite region and starters too.
I think I chose Chikorita, although I can't remember now tbh. I used to replay Crystal and I picked a diff starter each time. I love Chikorita so much even though she might be the weakest of the 3.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
Years
I picked Cyndaquil at first because I love fire types but it wasn't cutting it for me so I reset my game and picked Totodile (named him Chops) and he was a beast. I don't like Chikorita's looks so I never picked it, nor do I ever want to.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Cynaquil seems to be winning lol ^_^
I only chose it because it was cute and quilava is cute! I also chose chikorita the secon time because Bayleaf and itself are cute<3. Totodile didnt impress me i rather go for cuteness but honestly i didnt love all of them because i like dual types rather than monotypes. ^^

Years
I picked Cyndaquil in my SoulSilver playthrough, one of the rare times I used a starter that wasn't the Water-type. I always found Cyndaquil's line pretty handy throughout the story and it does open up your Water-type slot to some of the other options.

Years
I picked Cyndaquil because it's cute with its everlasting happy eyes and the its final stage is badass erupting Typhlosion. I think the starters are awesome except Chikorita seems to be the less popular starter out of them mainly due to the type disadvantage against the major opponents in the game (E4 Lance, Will, and etc).

Years
Of all the times i've played through HGSS, I think Totodile is the starter i've chosen the most, then Cyndaquil (which I chose the last time I played through). The former was much better here than it was in GSC because of the physical/special split, and the latter had good Special Attack and some strong new Fire moves to use it with, which was good.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
When I first played hg/ss I started with Chikorita and then realized that it's one of the worst starters lol... hey at least it's super cute though. Basically as a whole I find them really boring. I think Cyndaquil had a lot going for it, especially as Quilava, but all of that is stunted a bit when it evolves into Typholosion. To me it's just a larger less cool looking Quilava and that was a bit of let down.

Idk I used to really like these three, but as I've played all the generations I can't help but feel as though they're odd compared to the rest. I'd say they're my second least favorite group of starters... or third, hard to say honestly.

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2018
I took up Cyndaquil on my first run, and Chikorita the second.
I loved Cyndaquil's design, but I never really found much use for the poor little thing - even as a Typhlosion. Chikorita, on the other hand, was useless up until it evolved into Meganium - then the real fun started. I was surprised at how durable the cutie is, especially as a grass-type of all things.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I picked Totodile! The main reason being it was my very first Pokemon EVER having been the starter I picked when I first played Gold. So for nostalgic reasons, I chose Totodile. The other reason being that Feraligatr looks badass as fuck.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
These are my favorite three starters. They're all so cute, and have great evolutions. I chose Cyndaquil on my first HGSS playthrough, because I chose Cyndaquil when I first played the originals. I've used all three though in replays. I love them. Besides the Hoenn starters, these are the best designed starters n_n

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
I always pick all three of them (because of the anime). Back when I first got the game, I picked Cyndaquil before restarting with Chikorita. Totodile I'd never get unless I was having all of them. You couldn't have two without the other was the way I saw it.

But if I had to pick, I'd say Chikorita.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 9, 2015
I honestly despite Chikorita, I just don't know why. The only grass types I liked were from the 1st,3rd, 4th, Cyndaquil was cool, cute and etc but Totodile was OG and powerful he won almost every match for me. Honestly. #TeamToto

blue

gucci
Years
I love the Johto starters, all their stages are awesome! Favourite is most probably Totodile since that was my choice when first playing Silver.

Back