• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Johto starters!

Which Johto starter did you use?

• Chikorita

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • Totodile

Votes: 21 34.4%

• Total voters
Years
I picked Totodile, albeit he made the game dull and not as enjoyable as having a fire-type starter. It gets better later on, cause Waterfall and all. Sometimes, I just choose Cyndaquil to make everything much easier.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In my first play-through, I've chosen Cyndaquil. For some reason, I have tendency to select fire-type Pokémon when it comes to playing a new game (well, HeartGold and SoulSilver weren't precisely new to me, as I'd gone through their pre-makes plenty of times before before, but they still sort of felt like it, due to all their new mechanics, graphical advancements, and so forth), and I wound up following the same, exact route here. I was quite satisfied, to be honest; it was great in terms of offense, and had access to some decent attacks as well. Typhlosion was quite easy to utilize.

Second run--I decided to go with something different, and have selected Totodile. In my third play-through, it was Chikorita.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I absolutely adore fire types. So ofc I picked Cyndaquil. It was also the starter I used in the original games. That and Cyndaquil is just really cute :3 Especially compared to Totodile and Chikorita. Neither of which really seemed worth using imo.

Tek

Years
When I first played G/S I picked the fire-type as usual. Since fire types are usually rare.

By the time I played HG I was ready to change it up, so I picked Chikorita. For my SS run, I chose the best HM Buddy of the three - Totodile.

Totodile and Cyndaquil used to be my favorite design-wise, but as my tastes have changed, I've come to like Cyndaquil less and Chikorita more.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
Years
I choose Chikorita in my first walkthrough as i love grass type Pokemons and Chikorita is cute in its all forms(Bayleef and Meganium) as Meganium(Chikorita last form) have good defense and special defense and i never picked Totodile as i dont like water type Pokemons very much and Totodile is not cute also :)

Years
I thought all three were cute. I always choose the grass type first as that is my favorite. As far as moves and stats go I like Cyndaquil the most. I actually do not care for the way any of their evolutions look. This is probably my least favorite gen of starters.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
When I was playing Pokémon HeartGold for the first time, I just stuck to my traditional method - I chose Cyndaquil as my starter, because that was my favourite starter to use back when I've played Pokémon Gold or Pokémon Crystal~

Again, nothing much changes, except for the addition of some moves like Rollout which was handy against Lance's Charizard or some other Flying/Fire type! It's flamethrower is super powerful in that game too, when it evolved to Typhlosion.. I dunno how, since I didn't remember Typhlosion being that fast and that strong in Pokémon Gold, but hot dog, who was I to complain! <33

Over all, it's still a wonderful pokemon, and fit well on the team I had planned (Lapras, Scizor, Golem etc, etc). The Johto starters are always lovely; I'll always love using them whenever I can! :3

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I've always picked the Fire starter on my first playthrough for every other game, but I've always loved Totodile, so I picked it first. As a water type, Feraligatr kind of lacks the powerful water moves that most have, but it makes up for it with all those powerful physical attacks.

I've always wanted to try a Chikorita run, but for some reason whenever I get to the actual choice I always hesitate and chose one of the others.

kyuubi93

What a bother
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 24, 2018
At first my original choice was going to be Cyndaquil since I almost always go with the fire starter, but I went with Totodile when I remembered it learns Ice Fang, which is one of my favorite moves. My first HGSS Feraligatr was a beast.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
Getting Crystal for christmas as my first game ever, I'm not exactly sure what my 6 year old intentions were but I chose Cyndaquil and I've chosen him ever since. Not that I didn't like the other two (because Johto has been my favourite generation and I loved them all). I guess the whole "fire on his back" thing really made me think he was going to be all badass and explosive when he evolved (I didn't know what he evolved into). I also think that the anime had sort of an influence on me since I absolutely adored Ash's cyndaquil when he got it.
I've played with Totodile and Chikorita before, but it's just not the same.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
i never liked cyndoquil's design. I use to like G/S Quilava until Crystal made it closer to the anime. However i like Typhlosion's design was always the one worth getting.

I love chikorita, and i like vayleef as well but meganium feels boring. i wish a better coloring was done. it reminds me too much of Venosaur.

EDIT:

Totodile i have always hated its design. its somewhat cute, but never stood out. its evolution also was so ugly, it never appealed to me.

Last edited:

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
Years
In the SDC's copy of HG Alex chose Cyndaquil, which is my personal fave among the Johto starters because it is the cutest. But in my copy of SS I chose Totodile I also traded for a Cyndaquill

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
I played all three original games with cyndaquil in gold, totodile in silver, and chikorita in crystal. Oddly enough that's the Pokemon Adventures characters starters. XD
The only one I actually finished was Silver(got to blackthorne in gold and fuscia or cerulean in crystal) and I got SoulSilver, so I went with Totodile!~
It's still my fav too~

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Chikorita is my bae. <3

I have thought about playing with Cyndaquil too, but every time I always find myself playing with Chikorita. I should really restart HGSS, I haven't played that game in literally years.

Back