• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Kanto's Role: A Theory

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    Pokemon Yellow + Pokemon Crystal= HG/SS

It has become very apparent that there are going to be some BIG changes in Kanto this time around. We are going to be getting a Kanto with far more places to go like Cerulean Cave and Viridian Forest. The Routes will return to their original size in the game as well.

My proof? The Pokemon following you, the lack of any screenshots of Kanto being released (Meaning that they're keeping something under the wraps.), also, the inclusion of Mewtwo also intrigues me. Also, it is a remake. Was the 2005 Peter Jackson completely faithful to the 1930s original? No, it was enchanced using CGI and modern-day film making techniques. So assuming that the Kanto from G/S/C will be in HG/SS without any enchancements; would be like saying that the little stop action stuffed monkey from the original King Kong will be in the new version. It would just not acceptable. The Kanto from Generation II was created the way it was because of technological limitations, as was the 1930s 'Kong.

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    I disagree that your proof points towards that, since a Pokemon following you was also included in a park in D/P/P. They don't void the theory, but they also don't seem to support it.

Whats goes closer to voiding the theory is the fact that combining another story that took place three years earlier doesn't make much sense. I like the "old decrepit" Kanto of generation II. I just hope they expand on it a bit (which is how I think they're including Mewtwo).

MizuJosh

Graceful Water Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2010
    I don't think so, that'd ruin the whole Gen II Kanto in my eyes. I liked Cinnabar all volcano'd. It makes you think about how the Pokémon world is slowly changing and evolving over time, just like the real world. So I'm going to have to disagree with your concept, and I don't really want to see anything Yellow-related in Gen II remakes.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    I disagree that your proof points towards that, since a Pokemon following you was also included in a park in D/P/P. They don't void the theory, but they also don't seem to support it.

Whats goes closer to voiding the theory is the fact that combining another story that took place three years earlier doesn't make much sense. I like the "old decrepit" Kanto of generation II. I just hope they expand on it a bit (which is how I think they're including Mewtwo).
    Yes, but in D/P/Pt, the Pokemon was not out the entire game as it is in HG/SS. They're almost certainly "just expanding" on Gen. II Kanto, because the only reason they didn't have a full Kanto in Gen. II was the small memory of the GBC cartridge, obviously, there is no such small memory on DS chips, so they will be able to make Kanto as big as they want.

MizuJosh

Graceful Water Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2010
    Yes, but in D/P/Pt, the Pokemon was not out the entire game as it is in HG/SS. They're almost certainly "just expanding" on Gen. II Kanto, because the only reason they didn't have a full Kanto in Gen. II was the small memory of the GBC cartridge, obviously, there is no such small memory on DS chips, so they will be able to make Kanto as big as they want.
    However, that doesn't mean they should simply change the story because of the available memory. Sure, expand a little, but you can't change what's already been done.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    However, that doesn't mean they should simply change the story because of the available memory. Sure, expand a little, but you can't change what's already been done.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on this.
    But I think that it would be impossible for there not to be some serious changes in HG/SS in Kanto. At the very least we'll be getting a full Viridian Forest, and not that embarrassment from G/S/C.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013

How does that point to it possibly being Yellow's storyline? The following thing, with the fact that its every Pokemon rather than your starter, only seems to be a similarity.

EDIT:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this.
    But I think that it would be impossible for there not to be some serious changes in HG/SS in Kanto. At the very least we'll be getting a full Viridian Forest, and not that embarrassment from G/S/C.

Thats what I meant by expanding, making everything more grand and adding more story depth.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    How does that point to it possibly being Yellow's storyline? The following thing, with the fact that its every Pokemon rather than your starter, only seems to be a similarity.

EDIT:

Thats what I meant by expanding, making everything more grand and adding more story depth.
    I never said that it will be Yellow's storyline in Kanto. I said that the storyline in Kanto will resemble that of Yellow, except of course with more powerful trainers and Wild Pokemon and and set three years in the future, as it is in G/S/C.

xXI JOE IXx

Hmmmm you have some good points, but it wouldn't be a exact gold remake if that was the case

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    Um...but I liked what you call an "embarrassment." The GSC version of Virdian Forest is (IMO) much better. I don't want to walk through that again. I just thought the forest burned down and that's what was left over. After seeing Kanto in Gold version, and then playing Red version, I didn't like (what I thought) were add ons. (When I first played Gold at the time, I thought RBY was made afterwards, not before.) I liked GSC's Kanto. It showed how it changed over the years. I liked not having to go to Cinnabar, and instead going to a cave to battle Blaine. GSC's Kanto was so intriguing. I'm not against the idea of expanding anything or adding what they had to remove last time, I'm just saying I liked GSC's Kanto more than Red version's. It's just my opinion. You don't have to agree.

I don't think the Yellow plot will be in, but I'm happy they have the 493 Pokemon following as a feature. I wouldn't mind if they had 3 trainers who gave us the Kanto starters. But I just don't think they'll have the plot of Yellow version. It's a nice thought though.
    Well, your's is a unique opinion on Viridian Forrest, although most people hate it; it was a important part of the Generation I games, for those of us that want as much game as possible and not an ugly maze of shrubs. And the Blaine Cave was sort of intriguing, but was blatantly unrealistic looking, and no such volcano would be able to cause the effects that are seen in G/S/C. (Search Cinnabar Island on Bulbapedia for proof.)

Hmmmm you have some good points, but it wouldn't be a exact gold remake if that was the case
    Johto will be almost completely faithful to the original, but Kanto is going to be different, I just know it will.

Last edited:

xXI JOE IXx

Well, your's is a unique opinion on Viridian Forrest, although most people hate it; it was a important part of the Generation I games, for those of us that want as much game as possible and not an ugly maze of shrubs. And the Blaine Cave was sort of intriguing, but was blatantly unrealistic looking, and no such volcano would be able to cause the effects that are seen in G/S/C. (Search Cinnabar Island on Bulbapedia for proof.)

Johto will be almost completely faithful to the original, but Kanto is going to be different, I just know it will.

It just wouldn't be the same if it was the origional Kanto... It would be pokemon Half gold yellow

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    Well, it is a remake. Was the 2005 Peter Jackson completely faithful to the 1930s original? No, it was enchanced using CGI and modern-day film making techniques.

So assuming that the Kanto from G/S/C will be in HG/SS without any enchancements; would be like saying that the little stop action stuffed monkey from the original King Kong will be in the new version. It would just not acceptable. The Kanto from Generation II was created the way it was because of technological limitations, as was the 1930s 'Kong.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
  • IF Nintendo is smart, they'll change nothing, or very little. Though I could do with a full Viridian Forest, the maze would be ok. Besides, the main story is not about Kanto, it's about Johto, so Kanto should really be the least of your worries. And Heart Gold and Soul Silver are going to be so full of features, you're not even going to want to visit Kanto for a while, anyway. I really can't wait for their realease, but I could really care less about whether or not they change a whole lot in Kanto. As long as they stick as close to the original as possible.

BUT I will say that it's going to be nice, because the burned out Cinnabar Island will probably look more like a volcano had erupted. Maybe something will actually go on at the volcano site, now. Perhaps Blaine will be in the volcano instead of the Seafoam Islands and we'll actually get a Seafoam Islands to explore in this one. Who knows...only Nintendo.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    IF Nintendo is smart, they'll change nothing, or very little. Though I could do with a full Viridian Forest, the maze would be ok. Besides, the main story is not about Kanto, it's about Johto, so Kanto should really be the least of your worries. And Heart Gold and Soul Silver are going to be so full of features, you're not even going to want to visit Kanto for a while, anyway. I really can't wait for their realease, but I could really care less about whether or not they change a whole lot in Kanto. As long as they stick as close to the original as possible.

BUT I will say that it's going to be nice, because the burned out Cinnabar Island will probably look more like a volcano had erupted. Maybe something will actually go on at the volcano site, now. Perhaps Blaine will be in the volcano instead of the Seafoam Islands and we'll actually get a Seafoam Islands to explore in this one. Who knows...only Nintendo.
    There will probably be an improvement on the Kanto storyline, as I've said. It will be longer, with more things to do in each town. Team Rocket's story may expand more into Kanto as well.

There will be equal weighting on both regions; methinks. After all, Kanto is half of the game.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
  • There will probably be an improvement on the Kanto storyline, as I've said. It will be longer, with more things to do in each town. Team Rocket's story may expand more into Kanto as well.

There will be equal weighting on both regions; methinks. After all, Kanto is half of the game.

I wouldn't really say that. Once you beat the Elite 4 the first time, you sail through Kanto pretty quickly. Though I would think that, this time around, they'll expand a bit more on Kanto. The only way to find out is to wait. I know, that's a hard thing to do, but it's what we have to do.

xXI JOE IXx

Kanto was the best part OF johto I think, I loved seeing how it had changed and I still remember the shock when I saw red!!

MizuJosh

Graceful Water Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2010
    There will probably be an improvement on the Kanto storyline, as I've said. It will be longer, with more things to do in each town. Team Rocket's story may expand more into Kanto as well.

First of all, I wouldn't call Kanto half the game... It was more like 1/3 in GSC.

I don't mind minor enhancements, I just don't want major plot enhancements that make you go "Wait. It's completely different in Gold/Silver." I can deal with a more "full" Viridian forest, as that had no real backstory. But you can't just restore Cinnabar. Add more depth to the game, sure. Enhance the TR storyline in Kanto (Seafoam Islands, Unknown Dungeon...etc).

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
  • I disagree, they aren't going to make you start in Pallet Town because that would ruin the coolness of it that you go in reverse order, and that's also some unnecessary thing for Nintendo to change, I DISAGREE.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2009
    I doubt they'll do that. Just because you're pokemon's following you doesn't mean the game's gonna be like Yellow. They'll probably stay more true to the originals'(S/G/C) story.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • The events that happened both in Red, Blue, Green, Yellow and the same in FRLG were three years before the events that were taken in Gold and Silver according to the Pokémon game's timeline. So, with this being said, HeartGold and SoulSilver couldn't follow the same Pokémon Yellow storyline un Kanto or else it would seem like going back in time and redoing what was done before. Your theory sounds pretty cool when thought of, but when following the sequence of events and how it may play out, I would have to disagree.

However, Kanto does serve a purpose to the game nevertheless. I'm pretty sure that Kanto itself will get a revamp in its appearance and maybe a bit of twist when it comes to a side quest every so often. Not to mention, levels may just be risen to an extent, and possible rematches may be called for afterwards as well. Besides the fact of training and higher levels though, Kanto is the placeholder for both Johto and Kanto's Pokémon League. So, ontop of everything Kanto's main purpose for the game is so players can challenge the League as well as have the option to obtain other Pokémon and grow stronger as well. Since Kanto's confirmation is still new and not much is known on what may be held in that region, you never know what can come packaged with it though. Still however, I wouldn't expect it to run the same Pokémon Yellow storyline.

Back