• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Kanto's Role: A Theory

Mitchman

Banned
Years
  • The events of yellow will not happen in anyway in the games as it 3was a one off try to get the games similar to the Anime but failed. I bet Kanto will be just Kanto with stuff like contests that aren't in Johto.

uchiha sasuke

2337-8711-7616
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2020
    I liked your theory, but I can thing something different.

Once, you beat the league, you go to Kanto, where Oak will give you a starter pokemon from the 1st gen.
    You will have to earn all 8 badges, without the help of your previous pokemon. (Or at least, you might be able to import your old pokemon after certain requirements are met)

This will make the game much more enjoyable in my opinion, but some of johto's magic will be lost.

I know, that is means that the game gets another dimension and therefore, it won't be characterized a gold/silver remake.

MizuJosh

Graceful Water Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2010
    I liked your theory, but I can thing something different.

Once, you beat the league, you go to Kanto, where Oak will give you a starter pokemon from the 1st gen.
    You will have to earn all 8 badges, without the help of your previous pokemon. (Or at least, you might be able to import your old pokemon after certain requirements are met)

This will make the game much more enjoyable in my opinion, but some of johto's magic will be lost.

I know, that is means that the game gets another dimension and therefore, it won't be characterized a gold/silver remake.
    That sounds icky, so no. It would indeed ruin the magic of GSC.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • The safari zone popped up in the latest batch of info so Kanto being the same is pretty much not happening. No point for one in both Kanto and Johto.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I don't think so. Jumping to a claim as radical as that is not very wise.

I believe the storyline in Kanto will be very close to the original. The Power Plant running, your Rival at Mt.Moon, Cinnabar being destoyed, Janine and Blue being Gym Leaders, ect.

They could re-add Viridian Forest if they really wanted to, because it's inclusion would not alter the storyline much whatsoever.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    I don't think so. Jumping to a claim as radical as that is not very wise.

I believe the storyline in Kanto will be very close to the original. The Power Plant running, your Rival at Mt.Moon, Cinnabar being destoyed, Janine and Blue being Gym Leaders, ect.

They could re-add Viridian Forest if they really wanted to, because it's inclusion would not alter the storyline much whatsoever.
    It's pretty much certain that such elements as Cerulean Cave and Viridian Forest will be returning from Generations I and III, which is what I mean by enchancing Kanto.

MizuJosh

Graceful Water Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2010
    It's pretty much certain that such elements as Cerulean Cave and Viridian Forest will be returning from Generations I and III, which is what I mean by enchancing Kanto.
    Enlighten me on how it's pretty much certain either of those will happen, please.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • It is certain that Kanto is making a return, that everyone [or at least almost everyone] would know by now. However, as for what will be held within the region itself is unknown. As of now, Kanto itself may not even have a strict storyline or plot to go by. Rather the region will be filled in for other needs that Johto wouldn't have been able to hold in the game. Like said, Kanto would be the use for the League like it was before as well as aquiring some of the newer additions such as Contests or the extension of certain areas. It known the Safari Zone has been relocated, so as for the idea of it following Pokémon Yellow's basic plot wouldn't follow through. More so, Kanto would be filled with certain little quests for the leasts as well as other certain items, people, and basics to complete.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years

• 1. The only reason the first was not there in any form was lack of space.
    2. Mewtwo.

it could be from a lack of space as well as you were able to get Mewtwo from generation one and bring it to generation 2 which was easier at the time. Unlike now where you have to transfer Mewtwo from your FR/LG and then Pal Park (some people don't even have FR/LG anymore) and then trade again to HG/SS which is more work

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017

it could be from a lack of space as well as you were able to get Mewtwo from generation one and bring it to generation 2 which was easier at the time. Unlike now where you have to transfer Mewtwo from your FR/LG and then Pal Park (some people don't even have FR/LG anymore) and then trade again to HG/SS which is more work

:t354:TG
    That's another reason why Kanto's going to be much better this time around, all Kanto Pokemon which are hard to get in Platinum will be much more plentiful in Kanto.

Ashitaka

Spirit of Snorlax
    Years
  • I saw a few days ago that your starter, or any Pokemon you please, will follow you in HG/SS. You know what that's like? Pokemon Yellow. Where was Pokemon Yellow? Kanto. Is Kanto in HG/SS? Absolutely.

I no longer claim that Yellow will be part of the HG/SS storyline, but it is obvious that Kanto will be remade to be more like Generation III's Kanto.

My proof? The Pokemon following you, the lack of any screenshots of Kanto being released (Meaning that they're keeping something under the wraps.), also, the inclusion of Mewtwo also intrigues me.
    Also, it is a remake. Was the 2005 Peter Jackson completely faithful to the 1930s original? No, it was enchanced using CGI and modern-day film making techniques. So assuming that the Kanto from G/S/C will be in HG/SS without any enchancements; would be like saying that the little stop action stuffed monkey from the original King Kong will be in the new version. It would just not acceptable. The Kanto from Generation II was created the way it was because of technological limitations, as was the 1930s 'Kong.

Any thoughts or disagreements?

Also, this is my 100th Post.

EDIT: Okay, maybe Cinnabar Island will stay the same.

The King Kong analogy is a little flawed, you're talking about a technological jump of roughly 70 years there versus about a decade from the original GSC to HGSS. Some aspects of Kanto were probably excluded for reasons of technological limitations, yes, but how much of it do you really think they'll bring back? Since we already know a Safari Zone will be in Johto, there'd be no point in reopening the Fuschia City one. Some other things were just changed as opposed to removed (Viridian Forest was chopped down, but there was still an accessible area there, meaning they had room for it but simply chose to go another way). If Generations I and III took place at roughly the same time, while Generations II and IV were roughly the same time, then it wouldn't make sense to me to model Kanto after it's original Gen I state in a game that's supposed to take place three years after that state of being. I don't know, I just don't see it. I can see things like the Sevii Islands being included, Seafoam Islands brought back etc., but I doubt it will be more similar to Gen I than the Gen II incarnation.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    The King Kong analogy is a little flawed, you're talking about a technological jump of roughly 70 years there versus about a decade from the original GSC to HGSS. Some aspects of Kanto were probably excluded for reasons of technological limitations, yes, but how much of it do you really think they'll bring back? Since we already know a Safari Zone will be in Johto, there'd be no point in reopening the Fuschia City one. Some other things were just changed as opposed to removed (Viridian Forest was chopped down, but there was still an accessible area there, meaning they had room for it but simply chose to go another way). If Generations I and III took place at roughly the same time, while Generations II and IV were roughly the same time, then it wouldn't make sense to me to model Kanto after it's original Gen I state in a game that's supposed to take place three years after that state of being. I don't know, I just don't see it. I can see things like the Sevii Islands being included, Seafoam Islands brought back etc., but I doubt it will be more similar to Gen I than the Gen II incarnation.

Why couldn't they open both the johto safari zone and the Fuschia City safari zone? They can have two completely different layouts to fit different environments/regions, therefore have different pokemon.

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
  • I love how everyone is still under the impression Mewtwo is in the game.

There was never a shred of evidence to say it was, some posters on the 4chan boards said that from the Corocoro scans they translated it said he was in, yet when the scans were released this info (as well as Lati@s being included) wasn't present.

Mewtwo was never confirmed, there's no reason to say he will be.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Why couldn't they open both the johto safari zone and the Fuschia City safari zone? They can have two completely different layouts to fit different environments/regions, therefore have different pokemon.

Two Safari Zones wouldn't be needed within the game, plus the Bug Catching Contest is still included which can be considered a "Semi-Safari." In the original Gold and Silver it was said that the Warden who owned the Fuschia City Safari Zone had moved. The guess is that in HeartGold and SoulSilver they backed up the idea of the Warden moving and placed the Safari Zone in the west area of Cianwood instead. So, again, two Safari Zones wouldn't be needed and a story was made beforehand to back the reasoning behind it.

Nevertheless, with the new included features such as customization, the new Safari Zone in Johto should come fully packed with data on extra Pokémon than before. There is no reason to say that Pokémon will be added in after the National Dex is aquired by the player, because more than likely that just may possible occur.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    You should be able to explore Cinnabar Volcano, find some Slugma, Koffing, Rhyhorn, maybe a Torkoal? (I'm going on the theory that National-dex pokemon will be available after you complete Johto.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    It is not a flawed analogy when you think about it! Think what video Games looked like in 2000 compared to now! AND you could say the same thing about any remake, King Kong just came to mind.

If they are not putting Pal Park in, they will have to add in the Kanto and Hoenn starters into this game. Maybe the Kanto starters will be distributed like they were in Yellow. Nintendo wants to maximize the number of Pokemon obtainable without the GBA/GCN games in order to not disenfranchise DSi owners

My thoughts in bullet form:
    -Kanto starters - they will either be given to you by Oak or be distributed as they were in Yellow
    -Three birds - they won't be present because they were disturbed by Red/Leaf three years ago and are now roaming through Sinnoh in Pt
    -Mewtwo - likely to be present
    -Mew, Celebi, Deoxys, and Jirachi - these guys are traditionally event-only pokemon, so Nintendo will probably start new events for them but not put them directly into the game
    -Hoenn starters - I think these guys are upstairs in Birch's lab as a reward for completing a milestone
    -the Regis - Nintendo probably will make the event Regigigas available for D/P/Pt/HG/SS, though the event part will probably only work when transferred to Pt
    -Lati@s - I think this might be the fourth roamer. Latios will probably be in HG and Latias in SS to match the pattern from R/S.
    -Super-ancients - these guys have already been confirmed. I am hoping they aren't roamers, Kyogre and Groudon are too slow
    -Sinnoh legendaries - these guys are readily available through trading with D/P/Pt. Other than the Arceus and the Lv. 1 dragon choice thing, I doubt anymore of the sinnoh legendaries being around
    Mewtwo has aready been confirmed, and it is very unlikely that the Regis will appear in a third straight game. Other then that you're probably right. I don't know about the Kanto starters though, Game Freak just never puts starters outside of labs, so who knows?

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Mewtwo has aready been confirmed, and it is very unlikely that the Regis will appear in a third straight game. Other then that you're probably right. I don't know about the Kanto starters though, Game Freak just never puts starters outside of labs, so who knows?

Knowing that Kanto is making a return it is very possible that the starters may just be given as a reward. Like in Emerald, when the player completed the Hoenn Pokédex, Prof. Birch would give the player a choice of which Johto starter they would like. So, it could be possible that in Kanto after completing the Johto Dex [for the least], then either Prof. Oak or Prof. Elm would reward you with one of the Kanto starters, or Hoenn starters as anything is at a possibility. I have a feeling that Kanto may be more of an important role than before however, as the DS cartridge allows a lot more to be done to a game compared to the old GBA Cartridges.

Back